Custom Pillows

What sewing projects are you working on?

Custom Pillows

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:37 am

Ordinarily, I stick to sewing garments or an occasional item for our church. An acquaintance asked if I would make her some sofa pillows. I'm thinking sure that this is easy so I agreed. What she really wanted was some custom pillows complete with braid, cording and hidden zippers. She dropped off 4 down filled pillows and some yardage of fabric. There are 2 larger pillows that are 22 inches square and 2 smaller pillows that are 13.5 x 20.5 inches. I've never done custom pillows and had to learn how to do this. She claimed that she spent over $300 for fabric and supplies. The fabric for the larger pillows was about $52 per yard and she had around 3.5yds. It's a heron design and she wanted the birds centered. After studying on how to make custom pillows, I found the fabric was not quite enough to go over the very full and plush large pillows. I had to piece the sides. The smaller pillows are easy except for the very thick braid. I spent 3 weeks trying to get it to look seamless with lots of picking out stitches. Finally, I have 3 of the pillows finished and just have one more small one to do. Here are the front and back views of the large and small "pillows from hell".

pillow from hell.jpg
Front view of larger pillow
pillow from hell.jpg (119.53 KB) Viewed 3649 times

pillow from hell back.jpg
Back view
pillow from hell back.jpg (124.62 KB) Viewed 3651 times

Small pillow front.jpg
Small pillow front.jpg (73.49 KB) Viewed 3649 times

Small pillow back.jpg
Small pillow back.jpg (69.56 KB) Viewed 3652 times

Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Custom Pillows

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:23 am

You are a better person than me. I hate to make pillows and would never agree to make some no matter how long or well I knew someone. How can something so simple be so difficult and frustrating. I can never get the corners stuffed nicely and I just don't have the patience for putting cording so that it looks good. BTW, your pillows are very nice looking.

Marty, a knitting board that I visit has a member that is showing her machine embroidery skills and patterns and I think of you every time. Right now she is working on a nativity.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: Custom Pillows

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:03 pm

Brockie, that Nativity sounds interesting. When I give my word, I try to keep it and that is why I am doing the pillows to the best of my ability. Hopefully, I will have them finished tomorrow so she can pick them up.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Current Sewing Projects