Figure fabric yardage for twin strip quilt

Basic/Beginner quilting tips and techniques.

Figure fabric yardage for twin strip quilt

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:39 am

dd19 has decided to redo her room at her dads and asked if I would make her a quilt from strips of fabric. She picked out two prints and two solids and will purchase them in the next few weeks hoping that I can get it done for her Christmas. I know you can buy pre-made jelly rolls but the ones I've found have different number of strips per roll and since I will have to cut my own strips, I am trying to figure out how much of each fabric she needs to purchase.

She wants the strips all different lengths so there will be seam allowances to account for there depending on how many pieces I sew together to get the final length. I realize the overall size will be the same regardless of how many strips I have to sew together but I don't know how much total fabric to tell her to purchase. If she gets a bit more it's not a big deal, I'd rather have a little extra than be short but since she is buying the fabric I don't want it to cost her way more just to have a bunch left over.

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: Figure fabric yardage for twin strip quilt

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Kathy, First, get a general idea of how wide each strip should be. (or get her to say) then measure that number side by side until you get to a yard. Then, add 1/2 inch for each strip which allows for 1/4 inch seams. Then you would know the required amount to make a finished 1 yard section of quilt. Multiply that by the measurements of the finished quilt will be and that is the yardage you will need. Take it step by step and it will turn out fine. Just don't rush it. If I remember my numbers correct;y, twin size is 72 X 108 inches. In yards that is 2 yards by 3 yards..Your finished quilt size would requite 6 yards of finished fabric, plus any binding and backing.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby HeyJudee on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:54 pm

And don't forget to allow for shrinkage when the fabric is washed.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:40 pm

She wants it to hang down on the side and fold up under the pillow so I looked at bedspread sizes that were 80 x 110, for simplicity I went with 80 x 108" so I will have her get 2 of each to allow for straightening and shrinkage. I talked to her today and she also wants throw pillows and maybe window treatments but they won't have to be done with strips. I will prob use a cheaper solid (like sheets) for the base window treatment and edge/accent the panels with the leftover fabric.

Thanks,
Kathy
kjh9835

New postby bridesmom on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Sounds like an interesting project Kathy! Keep us posted as to what you are doing with it.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby temom on Sat May 04, 2013 8:37 pm

This helped me tremendously. I wanted to make a strip quilt, and found a tutorial for a quilt as you go strip quilt that seemed pretty easy. But I was hoping that I could make something a little bit bigger, so I bought 2 jelly rolls (Big Lots had them pretty cheap). According to my calculations, I would need 4 jelly rolls (mine are 24 pieces, 2.5 inches by 42 inches. Two jelly rolls would give me 3.07 yards, and I would need another 3 yards to make a twin. Hmmm...
I could get 3 yards of a neutral color and cut that into strips...that might be cheaper than buying 2 more jelly rolls, assuming I could even get the same patterns.
Then I would need to figure out how long to cut my strips, so it is the correct width.
And then the batting, and the backing. Maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all!

Tomorrow I am going to take a scrap pack, and sew it together like the jelly roll race, and see what I get ( I did iron the strips this evening, as they were a mess). Then I will put a batting & back on it, and see how that goes. I will have to go shopping for fabric either way, as I don't have a backing that goes with my scrap pack.

I really hope I don't chicken out on this!
Theresa
temom

New postby sewhappyrtr on Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 am

What's a jelly roll??
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby ninifav on Fri May 10, 2013 2:59 pm

a jelly roll contains 40 strips. Each strip is 2 1/2" by 45". If you go to the Moda web site, I downloaded the equivalent measures chart at the moda bake shop...
Paula
ninifav

New postby temom on Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Some of the
jelly rolls have fewer strips. Mine have 24. They are precut strips, 2.5 inches by 42 inches. I'm on my tablet, but I will try to put up a pic of these quilts later. After piecing my moda scrap bag ( 1/2 pound, rather than a certain number of strips), I am wondering if instead of putting batting & a backing on it, if I should make pillow covers for my sofa pillows.
Theresa
temom

Return to Basic/Beginner Quilting