Need the impossible

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Need the impossible

New postby ninifav on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 am

I am looking for the perfect food for me...High protein, low/no fat, complex carbs...and, wait for it...tasty!!! Need to drop about five pounds but get shaky if don't eat properly...Hi fat doesn't like me since gall bladder removed...Love chocolate and ice cream but sugar begets more sugar begets..the entire gallon or bag...

Four months ago, I started walking again and try to do do semi-power walking...four miles in an hour if time allows. Find it drops my blood sugar a little and I get a little shaky...cereal and greek yogurt help there...

Anyone have favorite recipes??
Oh, yeah, and I HATE spending too much time away from the sewing room...Paula
Paula
ninifav

Re: Need the impossible

New postby sewingmom on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 am

Paula, Sunday I became apalled at my current physique and started on a high protein low carb diet. I already feel better than I have for a while. No dizzy spells. I started on a Beta blocker for my heart a few months ago and that helped a lot but now I think I just might get back soem energy. I have had some spells that felt like low blood sugar but they weren't ( I used DH"S meter to check the sugar level and sometimes it would be a little low but not every time. That is what clued me in to the heart problem that didn't show on the stress test, ekg or listening to the heart. It did show on th echocardiogram(heart ultrasound). It is diastolic dysfunction. My family physician says I am not diabetic so that is good.
Anyway back to the high protein diet. I will alternate that with a 1200 calorie diet. A week of one and a week of the other till I get the weight down. I preffer a vegitarian diet but cant handle the lower protein, higher carb level that I end up in. I know it doesn't have to work that way but I don't seem to be able how to grasp that sort of diet.
I did want to say that I use a high protein whey powder sweetened with stevia. It us by "Naturally Preferred" . I put it in my coffee instead of powdered creamer or half and half I have also mixed it into a glass of crystal lite for a quick pick me up. I also am taking the edge off my appetite with a teaspoon of peanutbutter when I get hungry other than meal time ( not to many teaspoons though, it is fatening). I avoid items altered to have lower fat values because the carbs are usually increased to make up for the fat flavor.
Keep us posted. I wish you success in this endeavor.
Oh, I do endulge in a low carb Hershies chocolate and a low carb Carb Count Icream bar (chocolate coated). Keeps me on y diet trail.
I cook chicken breast seasoned with ranch dressing mix and eggs for breakfast 9scrambled and nuked with my favorite seasonings and :oops: bacon.
I'll just die if I don't have some of the old comfort food flavors.
sewingmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am

Take this from me, here is the way I went and it was easier than I thought it would be.. First, learn to live with olive oil. I had loved it all my life, so that was not a problem for me, but is is for some. Look on the internet at the new food pyramid, and there are a lot of changes there . I eat a lot of chicken and fish, lots of veggies, at least 2 servings of fruit every day, and stick to serving size only of carbs, all of them good and bad. But , this is one tidbit you don't hear very often and it really helped me. The protein is utilized better if it is eaten along with some carbs. That makes your body do a better job of using the protein to full advantage. And , I quit altogether heavy sugary items.. I avoid most desserts on a regular basis, but my treat every day is a half cup serving of ice cream. That is the size of a tennis ball. That is not very big , but it satisfies my craving . I do not eat pasta very often because it is hard to only eat 1/2 cup of most of the "white foods".. (pasta, rice, potatoes, grits, etc...) all heavy in carbs.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby temom on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:18 pm

I like this recipe:
Tuna, Bean, and Couscous salad

•1 1/2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
•1 cup dry whole wheat couscous
•1/4 cup finely chopped onion ( I like sweet onions)
•1/2 small cucumber, chopped
•10 cherry/grape tomatoes, halved
•1 15-ounce can low-sodium red kidney beans or black beans, do NOT drain
•2 5-ounce cans solid white tuna in water, drained
•1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
•2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
•1 tbsp lemon juice
•1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan.
Stir in dry couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add chopped onion, cucumber, tomatoes, beans, and tuna to the couscous.
Whisk oil, vinegar, and lemon juice in a small bowl, or place in a small screw-top jar and shake vigorously. Mix into salad.
Add parsley, then toss salad until everything is well combined.

Number of Servings: 6
Theresa
temom

New postby ninifav on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Theresa, that sounds good...will have to try it...
Paula
ninifav

Return to Recipes