My legs are killing me

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Re: My legs are killing me

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:27 am

My pain is easing a bit so the Lyrica must be doing something. Right leg is still "odd feeling" but not numb or feeling cold. My left leg is still weak and I stumbled a few times yesterday at work. I only have to work 6 hours today but I'm on call this weekend and I hope no one calls in b/c weekend nurses do 12 hr shifts and I know I can't do those.

I have a discharge paper around here somewhere that listed all the diagnosis' from the pain dr. and if I remember degenerative disc disease was one of them but I'm not sure. On my first visit there, dr said "lose 20 lbs, quit the soda, quit smoking and walk 4 miles a day". HA. I could barely walk then too but I did do physical therapy that helped, lost nearly 25+lbs, weaned off my Mt. Dew addiction and started walking. I was up to 3 miles a day walking but quit when the treadmill died and the weather got cooler. I did feel better so I guess I ought to get back on track once I can walk better.

Since I'm not sleeping well, I'm back on the soda but not as bad as before and my weight is stable. I thought about another MRI since a co-worker in therapy said nothing was wrong with her either (hers was negative) but symptoms worsened and she had surgery after an ER trip where they did a standing MRI which showed compression that didn't show up on the first MRI lying down. Something to mention to the dr. anyway.

I sent out my resume via fax as requested to three offices but didn't hear anything back. I've checked a few times online, no new jobs posted. I'm not really "actively" looking, I just saw them and figured it wouldn't hurt to submit my resume. Some of them had been on there over 7 days, so they may have interviewed/hired already but didn't remove the ad. I need something not as physically demanding but 1) I don't want to have a medical insurance change while this is going on and 2) I'd lose my option for FMLA as most employers say you have to work there for 12 mos. to be eligible and 3) I'd lose my short term disability ins. for whatever time limit the new employer has for new insurance to be effective. I think I need to stay put for now but am keeping my eyes open just in case a "dream job" comes open somewhere then we can weigh the pros/cons.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby sewhappyrtr on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:24 am

Wow.. I am sorry about all of your pain and drs not listening.. but here's my 2 cents worth.. try acupuncture or massage... I have a L-5 S-1 disc problem with left leg numbness and pain and such.. and acupuncture really helped me!! I had it after a car accident and I got it paid after I got my settlement, but I would still continue on with acupuncture to manage my symptoms if I could afford it!! :D :D I went 3 x a week and at $110.00 a pop I can't afford it now.. but I REALLY got relief from my symptoms with it!!! I tried acupuncture after I had my second go around with the pain clinic with the epidural steroid shots to help manage my numbness and pain.
Anyway.. good luck with everything
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby sewingmom on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:10 am

Kathy, If it was me, I wouldn't wait till you can walk to get back "on track". The Mountain Dews will only increase the sleeplessness and anxiousness. Its a vicious cycle that will dibilitate your body more and will inevetibly put on more weight. And you know that will stress your back and legs more. Please know I am saying this out of concern for my friends health and wellbeing. I struggle with my weight and I struggle with caffeen addiction. I also work in the medical field/ a hospital setting. Its not easy and I have many repetitive strain injuries. The best thing I have done for myself is to follow the orthopaedic doctors advice to the letter and to seek help elsewhere if necessary. Have you tried cymbalta? It is great for RSI pain managment and depression. It is als used to help manage fibromyalgia.
sewingmom

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:46 am

I asked my psychiatrist a while back about switching over to Cymbalta but he didn't do it since I was fine at the time (way prior to all this happening). I also think I asked my primary dr. once when I was in there for something but he said if I'm stable on my current med (anti-depessant), there was no reason to switch.

My mom takes it as do a couple of her sisters so that's why I asked. I know zilch about genetics but I do know that in my family anyway, what works for one usually works for another close relative that has same condition. Reactions/Side effects the same way: med causes "x" in so and so, it will prob. cause same in another. Several family members have bone/spine/back conditions but when I've asked if they are genetic and passed down the line, the answer is maybe, we don't know.

Multiple family members have fibromyalgia and since the Lyrica is helping me, I think I do too (have thought so for some time but can't get a diagnosis which is why I wanted to see a rheumatologist). Lyrica is for diabetic nerve pain, nerve pain after shingles and Fibromyagia. I'm not diabetic and I've never had shingles so what would you think? I'm going to ask the dr. when I call Monday to get follow up appt. and also ask if he can get the pain clinic dr. to move up my appt since it's not for another 6 weeks.

The Mountain Dews will only increase the sleeplessness and anxiousness

I usually drink coffee first thing in the am and soda from noon to 5pm if I'm on a day routine. When I had to do those evening shifts, I usually had one with supper to keep me going thru the evening if I had to gotten at 5am that day and didn't get a nap before work. I don't do coffee at work b/c it goes straight through me and I don't have time to pee...lol

I've tried to do some of the P.T. stretching exercises I was given but I am not tolerating them very well so I'm going to start walking twice a day again even if it's just my "penguin walk" down the road and back a short distance. I walk alot at work but dr said it's not the same type of walking. The weathers getting nice and I want to do stuff outside!!!!

Ended up working the full 8 hr shift last night so I was hurting pretty bad by the time I clocked out. I really need at least a "light duty" order so they will quit making me work as the main med nurse.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby temom on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:55 am

Kathy, one thing I would like to share is that I have found 2 things I absolutely can not have, or it causes a huge amount of joint pain.
Splenda or coffee. It doesn't take even a tiny bit of coffee - just a few ounces, to cause trouble. The pain begins the day after I drink it, and persists for several days. The splenda I stopped using a few years ago, but I would be fine in the morning, and throughout the day the pain would begin and increase.
It was easy to give up the splenda, I switched to stevia (I tried a few different brands, now I use 1/4 of a teaspoon of spoonable Stevita for a huge mug of tea), but the coffee was harder. I still crave it, and it has been over a year.

so...it wouldn't be pleasant, but you might want to consider a test of giving up the coffee, and definately if you are using splenda, getting off of that.
Theresa
temom

New postby sewingmom on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:57 am

Kathy since I am tapering off all caffeen products I have searched for a diet supplement that would meed my need as a "pick me up". I found Emergen-C vitamin supplement that is found at Wal-mart and some other stores. It comes in flavored packets , mixes with water,has vitamins,electrolytes and anti oxidants. I have used it since last July and swear it really does help. I havn't had a single cold this year and I feel physicaly better.
sewingmom

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:50 am

sewingmom wrote:Kathy since I am tapering off all caffeen products I have searched for a diet supplement that would meed my need as a "pick me up". I found Emergen-C vitamin supplement that is found at Wal-mart and some other stores. It comes in flavored packets , mixes with water,has vitamins,electrolytes and anti oxidants. I have used it since last July and swear it really does help. I havn't had a single cold this year and I feel physicaly better.

This sounds like something I would like to try... thanks for mentioning it!! :D
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:22 am

I put that on my shopping list and will pick some up later this week. At this point, it can't hurt me any worse.

I called dr yesterday and told them my right leg was no longer numb but felt "odd" and I still had pain down back of both legs and tingling. I have to reposition myself alot when I sit b/c if I sit too long, both legs get tingly like they are asleep. He doubled my dose of Lyrica to 150mg three times a day, call back in a week. I told the pharmacy not to fill it b/c I can just take two of the 75mg caps until gone then get the new dose. I am better than I was a week ago but still not normal/well yet. I can get by a few hours with usual movement but then the pain/stiffness starts and lasts all day worsening as the day goes by and I get more active. By the end of the day, I feel like I need help to the car and out of the car once I'm home.

I found my list of diagnosis from the pain dr., muscle inflammation, lesion of the femoral nerve, entrament of the lateral cutaneous nerve of the thigh, lesion of the sciatic nerve, syndrome affecting the cervical spine (prob. d/t prev. surgery in 2003), degenerative arthritis of the spine and cervical spine, arthritis of spine, sacroiliac joint pain (orig. reason why I saw him) as well as others not related to this pain. Now you'd think with all of those, surely the ins. company would pay for those nerve blocks I had done. I haven't gotten any more letters from them but I haven't gotten a final bill yet either so I'm crossing my fingers that they pay their part!

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby lendube on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:07 am

I can't imagine going through the pain and hassle that you're experiencing. I have no advice since you seem quite savvy regarding the whole situation. You're not the only one dealing with issues that take forever to resolve. Eventually things will work out. Good Luck!
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Its just aggarvating (sp?) and I don't wanna deal with it but have no choice. I took dd16 to same dr today for a physical and I said "you doubled my dose yesteday, I'm taking 2-75mg caps instead of the 150mg cap, is that ok? He said yes. Then I asked him if the spacey feeling in my head would go away, he said in a few days, we needed to get the pain gone. I said it's not gone but some better"

I call again in a week. Jeez, I feel like I have an alcohol buzz and I do not drink! Been like that since about 8am (took meds at 7am, been up since 3am again). My hips and lower back are starting in now most likely because of the way I walk. Heat and massage feels good so even though the temp was warm today, I'm going to use the elec. blanket tonight on very low all night and see if that helps any at all.

Wait and see, wait and see...

Kathy
kjh9835

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Wellness