2012 Learn Something New Challenge

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

Re: 2012 Learn Something New Challenge

New postby bridesmom on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:17 pm

I've started going for thread that stands out now, if i want the design to show up. If I just want a very subtle look, then I try to match the quilt. I also like Superior Threads website, they have lots of great video demos on thread weight and how to choose threads.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:20 pm

UPDATE..... Since the idea was born on this thread, I will let everyone in on the surprise now. Magot was talking about FMQ and showed her experiments. I commented something about variegated thread and she commented she could not find any there. Theresa mentioned that if she won at Bingo , maybe someone would mail her some. That gave me the idea to send her (Magot) some of the thread. Then, I realized I did not even have her Mailing address any more. (computer ate it up) So, I sent a pm to Theresa asking for it, and she could not find it, but thought Lennie might have it. So, I sent Lennie a pm and she sent it to me. Next thing was to find the thread. Went to Hancocks on Presidents day, and none was there , on the Dual duty rack. Sulky was there, and some from Greece. Could not afford the sulky so, I bought some of that from Greece. 4 spools. They only went from light to dark in 1 color each. After I got home with it, I did not like it. So , back to Hancocks 3 days later, to get a refund, and then I planned to go to Hobby Lobby. They had D D from Coats and Clark. When I got to Hancocks, the had a brand new display with 14 varieties of variegated thread. So returned the Greek thread and BTW DD was on 30% off sale, I bought 12 spools of various combinations and off to the Post Office I went. Mailed the little box to Magot, and they said it would take 2 weeks for delivery. So about 5 or 6 days ago, I sent Magot an e-mail asking her to send me a test answer to verify I had her e-mail correctly entered. She answered and I told her I would need to send her a letter on there soon. Yesterday I was gone all day and into the evening at the Southern Spring Home and Garden Show, so a little while ago, I signed onto the computer and checked my e-mail and Magot has received the thread, and she sent me a thank you. So now, I have to thank Theresa and Lennie for helping me surprise her. Magot, Enjoy , my friend. ! ! !
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Magot on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 am

And I was much delighted by the RAOK!! What lengths you went to Libby! I guessed you must have got my address from somewhere but hadn't released the lens you went to to send me such a lovely surprise. Thanks to all who helped :D
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:17 am

Jan We expect pictures!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby Magot on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:20 am

gimme time Barb! Tony is at a conference next Saturday so I have marked that day for sewing...
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby lendube on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:58 am

I still had your address from sending the fleece sock pattern. Didn't surprise me a bit that Libby wanted to do something so sweet. Happy to help keep it a surprise. :D
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Magot wrote:gimme time Barb! Tony is at a conference next Saturday so I have marked that day for sewing...

:shock: I didn't mean today! But when you get something done!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby sewingmom on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Oooooooh!!!!!!!!!!, I love to hear about such sweet surprises.
I havn't been following this thread much and am way behind. Susan your top looks great and I agree with whoever asked where you intended to loose 10 lbs.
Jan I am anxiously waiting to see how you quilt your quilt.
I think I forgot what my challenge for myself was but I am working toward a new sloper from PMB5 software. I have the pattern printed and bought more muslin and just need to cut and sew. If I keeep eating like I have been It still will not fit:(.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:56 pm

YAY for you guys! I was looking the varigated thread on the weekend too, and thinking about sending some! How fun!! I hope you really enjoy it Jan!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby HeyJudee on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 am

Me too...I was thinking of sending some but family issues got in the way of figuring out how I would get Jan's address without her knowing.
Libby you ROCK!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges