Split Rail and Baby buggy quilt fabrics

What quilting projects are you working on?

Split Rail and Baby buggy quilt fabrics

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:19 pm

These are the fabrics we picked out on Thursday for the couch quilt that's for a wedding gift, their favorite color is blue so that's what we chose. It will be a split rail with the lightest blue for the backing/binding.
blue couch quilt fabrics.jpg
blue couch quilt fabrics.jpg (84.84 KB) Viewed 6552 times

And these are for the baby buggy quilt. The buggy will be pink, the background will be the pink/green floral and the backing/binding will be the light green. I did not get the ribbon trim yet as I will wait until the top is done and take it in with me to see what looks best.
buggy quilt fabrics.jpg
buggy quilt fabrics.jpg (50.78 KB) Viewed 5352 times

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: Split Rail and Baby buggy quilt fabrics

New postby HeyJudee on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Love the fabric choices. Can't wait to see them made up.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:10 pm

I was pre-washing fabrics when I posted earlier. Then I cut out a scrub vest to work on until these were ready. Cut the whole darn thing out UPSIDE down! One of my fav. fabrics too, lavendar print with vintage sewing machines on it that I bought I don't know when. They appear to be scattered but after cutting it out, I realized they only run one direction. Oh well, I'm gonna finish it and wear it anyway!

Pre-washing and ironing done, strips of all three blues cut out and sewn together, looks kinda "busy"....I may need to add a plain border around it but we'll see. I think I spent more time meauring, cutting and ironing than I did sewing.

Quitting for the night, my neck hurts. I try not to but it seems every time I sit down to sew for any length of time, I end up looking sideways as I sew.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby momquilts on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:12 am

kjh9835 wrote:Quitting for the night, my neck hurts. I try not to but it seems every time I sit down to sew for any length of time, I end up looking sideways as I sew.

Kathy, I know what you mean! When I sit at the machine for any length of time, my shoulders end up by my ears. :oops: I think maybe a chair adjustment may be in order for both of us.

I love your fabric choices too! Blues are my favorite colors to work with, very calming for me I guess. Have fun with them. Can't wait to see pictures of finished tops.
momquilts

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Good thing I bought extra fabric as I cut one whole strip into blocks that were an inch short so I'll be using those maybe for matching pillows?

Blocks are cut and laid out on the bed, what do you think so far?

blue split rail.jpg
blue split rail.jpg (48.24 KB) Viewed 5300 times

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby lendube on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:14 pm

Love the 3 dimensional effect. That's going to be nice, Kathy.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:53 pm

I like it!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Me too...like it that is!
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby bridesmom on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:20 pm

It's great, not to busy at all! As far as your scrub vest, if anyone says anything just tell them you wanted to see the machines from your angle! :D
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kjh9835 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Been ripping stitches for two days (and part of last night about 2am, couldn't sleep). Finally have all the blocks removed that were not the right size. I guess my cutting skills need alot of improvement as not only were some of them an inch short but some were too large on one edge or another and then I discovered that the solid blue strip down the center had also been cut incorrectly on a width. My presser foot was also bent so I dug out another one.

I'm getting new blades for the rotary cutter and I'm not going to cut any pieces that do not fit all at once on the cutting mat (no sliding the fabric down to the next section for cutting).

I've also discovered that a new seam ripper is a good purchase. I knew mine were getting old but they worked and I thought with my eyes and the lighting, it was me. I bought two new ones at WalMart on Monday and what a difference a nice sharp point makes. Almost bought one at the quilt shop but knew nothing about Fons and Porter brand.

I've sorted the blocks into "too small, too large, just right and recycle" piles. I think I will be able to use all but the recycle ones and I can re-cut those as I have extra fabric. I will have to resize them all down the the smaller size which is 8 3/4" instead of 9 1/2" which is going to make the overall size smaller but then couldn't I just add a border to make up the difference?

Kathy
kjh9835

Next

Return to Current Quilting Projects