Serger help

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Serger help

New postby SmilieFace on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:33 am

So, I'm pretty much done with my first serger project, and it turned out alright. I almost gave up at first because it took me a good 20-30 minutes to get the tensions right -- and I was only using three threads! Anyway, I don't know how I'm supposed to start and finish my stitches since you can't go backwards on the serger. For this project, I'm just using FrayCheck to keep the ends in place (that will work, right?), but I'd like to know how to properly start and end a row of stitching/sergering.
SmilieFace

Re: Serger help

New postby lendube on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:06 am

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/do ... +needle.do

This is what you need, Smilie. The one I have is about 3 inches long and the eyes are certainly big enough to put serging threads through. You just feed the threads back into where they came from and you have a secure finishing. But don't do it each time. Just when corners, etc. are done. You can find one of these at Joann's and other sewing stores. I thought it was called a bodkin but apparently not.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby dmoses on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:18 am

I know of three ways to do this:

1. Leave a tail at each end, then thread them onto a large-eye hand sewing needle and pass the tails back through the seam.

2. Cut the tails and use fray check or similar product to secure the end so the threads don't come undone.

3. After taking the first stitch in the fabric, take the tail, bring it to the front of the needles, and serge over it. That will take care of the first edge. Then at the end of the seam, take one stitch off the fabric, flip the fabric to the front of the foot(without cutting the threads), and gradually serge off the edge of the seam. You will be serging over the last inch or two of the seam, so be careful to avoid the knife...you do not want to cut the previous stitching.

Hope this helps. :)
Last edited by dmoses on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take care,
Donna
dmoses

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:19 am

You can do the same thing but with a large needle...
http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/library/aamach9.htm
and here is another way to do it... (Edited: this has pics of the 3rd method that Donna mentioned)
http://www.fiberosity.com/?p=104

Hope these help.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:55 am

The item that Lennie mentioned is a double eye needle & it is about 4 inches long. Fray Check tends to get hard unless pressed while damp. I use Fray Block which is a sealant & it goes thru the washer & dryer just fine without the threads coming loose. A large tapestry needle will work the same way as a double eye needle. Can't wait to see pics of your project.
Marty ;) (still embroidering towels for Christmas gifts)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby SmilieFace on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check out the links you all provided.

Here's my first project. It's my little sister's Christmas present. The ties are currently long enough that they can wrap around and tie in front...I should probably change that, right?
Attachments
PurpleApron.jpg
PurpleApron.jpg (34.89 KB) Viewed 6920 times
SmilieFace

New postby dmoses on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:08 pm

I think it looks cute with the tie in front. :D Great job! :applause:
Take care,
Donna
dmoses

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Smilie, that is so cute. I love it & you did a great job. I love how the ties tie in the front.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby temom on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:40 pm

Smilie, that is adorable! I also like it tied in the front! I'm sure your sister will love it. If not, tell her to send it to me! :D
Theresa
temom

New postby vickki on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Beautiful,love the front ties as well...
vickki

Next

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing