Singer ProFinish threads loose, but tension high?

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Singer ProFinish threads loose, but tension high?

New postby MrsAshleyJ on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Hello! I have a Brother sewing machine that I've been using nearly every day for a year, so I'm not a total beginner, but still consider myself one. I just bought a Singer ProFinish from a friend who wanted something to hem her pants up with. She couldnt figure out how to thread it so let me buy it, and bought herself a simple sewing machine.
It took all day but my new serger is threaded 100% correctly. I have used a number of fabrics (muslin, jersey knit, fleece, etc.) and nomatter what I do with the tension and other knobs, the bottom threads are always way too loose. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I just want to do the Basic Four Thread Overlock.

I'm totally new at sergers, so please let me know what more information I need to post to get some help ^,^
Thank you so much!
MrsAshleyJ

Re: Singer ProFinish threads loose, but tension high?

New postby bridesmom on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi and welcome to the site!! Did you thread the serger with the serger foot up?? And are you positive you have the threads in the tension discs properly? I'm not familiar with this serger, but I do have one and a coverstitch and those are 2 of the things I check when my thread isn't coming out correctly. Also recheck to make sure you have the looper threads going through all the correct hooks and loops inside the machine. One other thing, you may want to run a clear fishing line through the tension discs to make sure you have no fluff stuck in there, as it sounds like the tension discs aren't functioning correctly. I'm sure one of the other ladies on board will come up with another few ideas as well, they're a great bunch.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby MrsAshleyJ on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Wow that was fast! Thank you!
Nope, the serger foot was down, I'll try that as soon as I get this baby happy :D
I saw that there are two possible ways for the thread to go into the tension discs, i tried them both and I'm sure it's right now.
Yep, looper threads are all correct... I'll do the fishing line tomorrow too.
Again, thank you! I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out.

Edit: Still reading about the issue online, and I did notice the thread that came with the machine is super thin... could that be an issue?
Last edited by MrsAshleyJ on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsAshleyJ

New postby bridesmom on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Not a problem. I have learned to always thread my machines with the presser foot up, and then the tension discs are open and the thread sits correctly inside them.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby sewingmom on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Laura sounds like she has hit on the problem right away. My serger and I think most modern machines have the tension discs closed when the pressor foot is down so the thread cant go in the discs. Un thread and rethread with the foot up in the exact order the book instructs. Mine threads 1. upper looper, 2. lower looper,3. rt needle, 4. lt needle Pull the threads under the foot with a long thread tail. then stitch with no fabric under the lowered Foot to chain off. You might need to tug lightly on the thread tail when first starting. Now lleave the chain and begin stitching what you want to stich on.
sewingmom

New postby sewingmom on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 pm

http://www.powersewing.com/shows/
I just found a serger class for $2.98 at Sandra Betzina's Power seewing web site. It would probably help you get started.
sewingmom

New postby DorothyL on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:41 am

I have one needle in my serger that I have to be especially careful to thread. Sometimes the thread just doesn't sit right in the tension. It took a lot of time and a lot of frustration to finally figure out the problem but now I know what it is I can watch out for it.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:47 am

Here is a YouTube video on threading a Singer 4 thread serger. It should give you info on the tensions too. Hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDjqfjTx-A
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby HeatherCC on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi, I was having the same problem. I was also new to serging. I had not lowered the tension on the tension discs while threading and they were not properly threaded. Easy fix once I figured it out, but quite the challenge before reading the answer on these posts!
HeatherCC

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing