Food Processor? To buy or not to buy?

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Food Processor? To buy or not to buy?

New postby icetbear on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi good folk of the forums ;) Many of you regularily post recipes for soups or indicate you will be making soup for dinner. I have been collecting recipes for hearty soups that freeze well. Rob and I have lunch at our office most days so setting out menus for 3 meals X 7 days can get a bit wearisome. I am looking to cut down on carbs and fat while boosting fibre (Canuck spelling) and vegggie intake. As the colder weather comes, we need to have a hearty meal at noon then a lighter one for dinner. Long story short, do you use a full size food processor to chop veggies, puree for cream soups etc? I am looking to have a cooking/baking time on the weekend to make batches of good muffins, soups that I can freeze in single servings. Thanks for your thoughts, take care.

NanaBear from the rainy north ;)
icetbear

Re: Food Processor? To buy or not to buy?

New postby Mule on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:36 pm

I use my Cuisinart food processor for things such as making pie dough, shredding cheese or carrots, slicing onions, grinding nuts, etc. I don't use it as much for chopping vegetables as I like to have neat, evenly-sized pieces (that OCD thing again!) and food processors don't do that. If the vegetables are being chopped super fine, such as for hiding in a spaghetti sauce, then I use it. I make some salad dressings in it, but I tend to prefer my blender for soups. I have a Vita Mix blender that instantly purees everything, and will even heat it up. And of course, it doesn't leak. My newest Cuisinart doesn't leak as much because it has a sealed gasket thingy, but my older one did a bit. Not really a problem for salad dressings, but wasn't as good for a large quantity of a thin liquid.

With that said, I couldn't live without either of the those two appliances! When my old Cuisinart died (it was almost 23!), I was completely frustrated till I replaced it. As for the Vita Mix, I can make things with it that I couldn't with a regular blender. For instance, I dump in 8 oz of yogurt, 2 Tbsp. sugar, and a 16 oz bag of frozen fruit, and we have a dessert that's the consistency of soft-serve ice-cream but is fairly healthy. Other blenders can't handle the completely frozen fruit. I also use it all the time to make smoothies -- a good way to use up fruit that's past its prime. Not spoiled, but apples that are no longer crisp, oranges that are a bit dry to eat normally. Fruit I would normally end up throwing away. I make soups, puddings, and batters in it as well.

So, is "vegggie" a Canuck spelling also? :lol:
Beth
Mule

New postby DorothyL on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:14 am

I chop by hand and use the blender to puree for soup. I'd like to have one of those hand held ones. I'd also love a fancy food processor to do all the work.
We eat a lot of soup.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Mule on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:06 am

Both of you ought to check out the Cuisinart DLC-10S. It's one of their less expensive models -- usually available on Amazon for $99 and goes on sale ALL the time at Macy's (and probably other stores) for $69.95. I had that model for years (it lasted almost 23) and it was awesome! It does everything the more expensive ones do. The only reason I got a more expensive model this time is I wanted a bigger bowl for making larger batches of bread dough. I find it easier than using my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. And you can still make bread dough in the other one, you just have to watch the quantity. So it's not really that expensive of an appliance, especially considering all it can do.

Unlike the Vita Mix blender.....I can't believe I spent that much on a blender, but was talked into it by a friend that had one. And I'm really glad I was -- I can't believe how much I love it. But, if I had to choose between the two I'd still go with the food processor as it is so versatile, and handles so many chores.

FYI -- I have a hand blender, but I hardly ever use it. I'm not sure why..... :think: I guess if it's a small quantity I use a whisk, and if it's larger I use the Cuisinart or the big blender.
Beth
Mule

New postby HeyJudee on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:12 pm

I don't have a food processor...just a hand blender and a regular blender. I chop my veggies by hand or slice them with a Boerner V-Slicer (something like a Miracle Chef but better) that I was given 20+ years ago. I use my hand blender to blend/cream my squash & veggie soup that I make but use my regular blender to blend up the veggies and chicken/turkey when making my soup stock. BTW, the hand blender was one I won years ago as a prize in a golf tournament. I don't use them often so have had them for years.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby icetbear on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks for your thoughts gang ;) I own a very small processor, good for making a cup of bread crumbs etc. I use my wand mixer for eggs, puddings etc. I don't have a blender but I have a KitchenAid mixer for baking. My girls have large processors but tell me they don't use them. DDIL Jenn likes her Magic Bullet. DD Brandy uses her blender. Beth, I like the size of the Cuisinart DLC-10s so that is a good place to start.

Dorothy, I'm always in awe when you post during the day that you are making soup for dinner. Do you keep a jar of stock on hand? My weekly menus are made on Sunday but somehow soup as a dinner entree doesn't make it to the list. We have soup for lunch at the office. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks again. Enjoy the weekend.

NanaBear sooooooooooooooo glad it is Friday
icetbear

New postby lendube on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi Ann, I seldom use a food processor but I have two, I think, or even three. They just kind of came my way. One is the little Emmie and it's quite convenient for small things like salsa or enough of something for one meal. I have a stick blender, a Braun, that I love for creaming things like split pea soup. It's so easy to use and clean. I also have a VitaMix that is sorely underused around here. I really need to get into that machine. I'd definitely invest in a good Food Processor if you're doing cooking for a week. You'll get your money's worth for sure.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby DorothyL on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:11 am

Nana Bear -- three words -- box of stock.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby lendube on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:38 am

The chicken organic stock or broth from Costco is a staple around here. I wish they had beef too.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby DorothyL on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:26 am

I have chicken, beef, vegetable and seafood in the pantry all the time. If I don't use it for soups I cook vegetables and sometimes rice in it and use it in all kinds of sauces -- low fat and low sodium.

Dorothy
DorothyL

Next

Return to Recipes