Stash Challenge 2010 Rules

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

Stash Challenge 2010 Rules

New postby Pudge99 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I hope Kait doesn't mind that I just copy and pasted the rules from last year. ;)

The challenge will run Sunday, October 24, 2010 through Friday, December 31, 2010. Get ready to ring in the New Year with a lighter stash and a slew of finished projects!

This is an opportunity for everyone to have fun sewing and engage in a little friendly competition to see who can sew up the most fabric from their stash. Just like last year - yardage entries must be accompanied by photos of the completed projects! The photos will be a great way to motivate and inspire your fellow participants.

What is stash? Stash is your "collection" of fabric that you might have accumulated for one reason or another. Maybe you planned out a project but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. Or maybe you've bought fabric because you liked it but had no particular purpose in mind. Perhaps you have "inherited" fabric from friends or family members. One way or another, it seems to be easy for sewists to accumulate a fabric stash, large or small. The purpose of this contest is to motivate you to get sewing and put some of that fabric to good use!

The person with the highest yardage will get a special image that will be displayed under their avatar and username to the right of their posts.

Rules

For the purposes of this contest, stash is considered to be fabric that was in your possession before the start of the contest, Sunday, October 24, 2010. Any fabrics that came from your stash and are used to complete a project can be counted toward your yardage. If you need new fabric or lining to finish a project, that's totally ok, just only count the portion of the fabric that came from your stash. Interfacings, batting, and notions from stash do not count toward your total.
Projects that count toward your yardage must be finished and ready to serve their intended purpose. For garments, they should be hemmed, buttoned, etc. Garments for the purposes of fitting are ok and do not need to be hemmed, lined, etc, as long as they have served that purpose. Quilts should be batted, backed, bound, and quilted (or whatever is necessary for the project to be "finished").

Reconstructed garments from old clothing (yours, or thrifted) will be allowed, as long you have significantly changed the piece. For example, hemming a pair of pants does not qualify, but remaking a men's sweater into a women's cardigan would count. All entered yardage should involve a significant amount of sewing. Sorry, no-sew projects are not allowed.

Unfinished projects also count toward your yardage, provided they were started before October 24th.

How do you figure out your yardage? If you used a pattern, you can just use the number of yards on the back of the envelope. Or you can actually measure the linear yards of fabric that you cut into. If you're doing quilting or crafts that use small pieces, just give your best guess based on the size of the finished project. For simplicity (since there will probably be a lot of guessing involved!), round your yardage to the nearest 1/4 yard. Round up if you are over the 1/8 yard mark, round down if you are below 1/8 yard.

PHOTOS! In order for your yardage to count, you must post a photo of each item you make. If you are making something in quantity -- for example, 100 duffel bags -- you need not post a picture of each item individually. You could post a close-up shot of one bag, then another image of the stack of 100. If you are not very savvy with posting pictures on the internet maybe you could ask one of your SWU friends who seem to know what they are doing to help you out.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

Re: Stash Challenge 2010 Rules

New postby Mom of Six on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 pm

can towels count as yardage if I bought them specifally to cut & make ponchos?
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby bridesmom on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 pm

Can fleece blankets be counted as yardage when they are cut up for baby quilt batting pieces?
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby DorothyL on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:57 am

If I interface with regular fabric (usually cotton) can I count that? I often do so it wouldn't be anything just for the contest. Besides I'm not threat to any serious competitors.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Mom of Six on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Ok I was bad today & bought more fabric. It is before the start so it counts as stash right?
I bought flannel for 1 grandson,1 daughter & 2 grandaughters PJ panys & Pj's for Christmas, 1 piece of flannel for a friends new grandbaby to make a receiving blanket & burp rag. It says I love Grandma all over it!. I bought red Panne vevet ($2.99 Yd) to make christmas dresses for DGDS. 1 piece of Detroit Piston fabric to make a casserole carrier & potato bag. & a remnant of Uof M fleece for rice packs. Pluss I bought some thread & machine needles & spent about $55. I wouldn't have been able to buy the dresses for that!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby bridesmom on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Oh Barb!!! LOL! Trust you to go shopping the weekend before the stash challenge starts!!!!! You are too funny!! BIG HUG to you! Isn't it great how we find these little competitive urges that pop up when someone mentions 'challenge'? I totally went all out in the quilt guild meeting when she mentioned we were making this mug mat cause I was going to get mine done NOW! And it's finished! Am looking forward to getting some stash out of my room though, already have a bin waiting to go!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:46 am

JoAnns had The Panne Velvet on sale & DGDS wanted soft dresses for Christmas I couldn't resist for less than $5 a dress. & I needed flannal & that was 60%off./ Traditional Christmas sewing & it probably won't be that cheap until Black Friday & I don't shop then
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby sewingmom on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:12 pm

Gypsie skirt is only half done. will it count??? all of it is stash.
sewingmom

New postby Pudge99 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Most of your questions can be answered with this post from last year. Of course Nov. 1 would be Oct. 24. If you go back and read the rules for 2009 some of you even asked the same questions. :mrgreen:

kaitlinnegan wrote:Yes, Dorothy, that counts.

Since there have been so many questions about 'Does such and such count', I made this simple flowchart to illustrate the rules.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby Pudge99 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:14 pm

sewingmom here is your answer.
Pudge99 wrote:Unfinished projects also count toward your yardage, provided they were started before October 24th.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges