Shortening a Separating Zipper?

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Shortening a Separating Zipper?

New postby SmilieFace on Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:56 pm

So, I thought I was finished with Simplicity 3640. At the store yesterday, they did not have a 20" separating zipper, so I picked up a 24" separating zipper. Now, I realize that the end of the zipper goes below the edge of my jacket. Is there a way to shorten it? I know with regular zippers, I'd just sew some straight stitches at the desired length, but will that work for the separating zipper? I really don't want to have to take out the zipper, especially since I didn't even see a space for 20" zippers at the store... Please help!
SmilieFace

Re: Shortening a Separating Zipper?

New postby sewingmom on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:17 pm

I'm anxious to know the answere here. I just recently settled fpr the wrong color of zipper to avoid the wrong length.
sewingmom

New postby lendube on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:18 pm

Oh Smilie, I had the same problem with the same pattern and I just fudged it. It wasn't pretty and neither was the top edge of the pockets. I didn't like the fit of the pants and the whole outfit ended up in the bag for the thrift store.

I just trimmed the top of the zipper to a little longer than the length I needed and then folded it over and hid it inside where the hood attaches. LIke I said, it wasn't pretty but I don't know how else to do it. Maybe someone else will know.

Hopefully the rest of your outfit turned out well.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby SmilieFace on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:36 pm

I found this page online about shortening zippers. I've finished the outfit, and I am satisfied with it. I ended up turning the zipper under at the bottom, because I was not about to remove all the stitches for the zipper. I like the fit of the outfit (especially the pants, actually). I'd make this pattern again. I took a picture, but I can't find the cord that goes from my camera to my computer. When (if?) I find it, I'll post the picture.
SmilieFace

New postby lendube on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:47 pm

Nice to know that I actually did it according to the instructions you found. :dance: But I still wasn't happy with the outcome. I think a lot of not liking it had to do with the fact that I'm probably just too old for that style anyway. Big sigh.............. :(

Please, please do post a picture of your finished outfit. I'm very anxious to see it.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewingmom on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm confused> How do you separate the zipper if it is follded under or is the extra zipper tape at the bottom of the zipper all that was turned under??
sewingmom

New postby SmilieFace on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:57 pm

I sort of tucked it under, but didn't sew over it. Therefore, if I zip/unzip carefully, I can go around where it's tucked under. (Not sure if that makes sense, but I'll post pictures when I have my camera-PC cord...) It's certainly not ideal, but it works.
SmilieFace

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:38 pm

I know a person who does that all the time. She cuts off at the top of a separating zipper and used a satin stitch with the very shortest length right beside the top teeth on the zipper for a zipper stop at the top.. Works great.. She does it on both sides of the zipper at the top.. I do the same method on shortening any regular zipper. I use a wide zigzag stitch and it goes over the teeth when they are closed.. Of course on a regular zipper you do it on the bottom.. Easier , of course..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby bridesmom on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:18 pm

If my zipper has the plastic teeth, I remove them at the length that I want, by cutting them off with wire snips. They pop off quite nicely once the tooth part is cut. You can pry off the metal teeth, but you need a special tool and patience which I don't have either of. I've tried to shorten a separating coil zipper, and it was disastrous.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Upholsteress on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:20 am

When I have to shorten a separating zipper.. AND look pretty... I will stitch a tiny "facing" or stop out of the fabric I am using.. Saves the bulk of a fold under and allows a nice finish at the top.
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

Return to Garment Sewing