HELP!! Hem on pants..

Developing your personal style, building your wardrobe, and the latest trends.

HELP!! Hem on pants..

New postby jwright on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:58 pm

My suit pants need a nice hem.. and I am clueless right now. HELP!!!

I can do a normal blind hem but I really want something new.. Are there any suggestions out there?
jwright

Re: HELP!! Hem on pants..

New postby Sewing Lady on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:21 pm

If they are long enough, try the big 2.5" cuff. This seems to be popular now. Other than than that what did you have in mind. Suit pants should be suity, don't you think unless you want to go funky.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby jwright on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:39 pm

Leighanna wrote:If they are long enough, try the big 2.5" cuff. This seems to be popular now. Other than than that what did you have in mind. Suit pants should be suity, don't you think unless you want to go funky.

I was hoping between a funky and a suity look... I've got a blind hem thus far that I really don't like...
jwright

New postby Sewing Lady on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Jen, the only thing that I can suggest is the big chunky cuff. But make it big. If you have already cut, you can add fabric to make a facing. I have done this and it looks good.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Sewing Lady

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:49 pm

If you have a little extra fabric, maybe a banded hem with piping (self fabric, or a coordinating color)? I like the cuff idea too. Are you doing any kind of trim or detailing on the jacket? If so, it would be neat if the pants echoed that.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Sewing Lady on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:52 pm

Just be careful of the weight on the cuff. You may need to do a French finish on the cuff to hold it up. Even then it may be too heavy for your fabric. I would do a test to get the hand of the combined materials.
Leighanna
Sewing Lady

New postby DorothyL on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:58 am

How tight are the pants? If they have no flare maybe you could split them two or three inches up the outside seam and put a little button on top or just put a little row of three fancy little buttons without the split. I have some with a little scroll looking thing stenciled right over the seam -- but I think I did the stencil before I sewed the inside seam so it was easier to lay it flat.
I also have a pair with a contrasting continuous lap kind of thing a couple inches up.
And if you have never done a continuous lap it would definitely be a new skill learning experience -- practice first, they can be a bear.
I don't thank any of this would work well with a flared leg, except maybe the stencil and it would have to be larger, I think.
Unless you are wearing really cool (or otherwise noticeable) shoes people won't look closely at your feet so some subtle design feature won't take away from the conservative aspect of wearing a suit. I think the hem of your pants leg is another one of those little things you can do just for fun.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Sewing Lady on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:47 am

You could also put zippers in each leg going up the seam.
Leighanna
Sewing Lady

New postby DorothyL on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:03 am

You could also put zippers in each leg going up the seam.

That would be great for us northerners in our snow boots -- or you Texas gals in your flashy cowboy boots!!
DorothyL

New postby Sewing Lady on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:17 am

This is a popular finish too. Also the slit idea. Both of these on a slim cut leg.
Leighanna
Sewing Lady

Return to Fashion and Style