May 2019

What sewing projects are you working on?

May 2019

New postby MartySews2 on Mon May 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Working on a new top for me. I'm using Silhouette pattern "Valerie's Top" and an ITY knit from Vogue Fabrics. Everything was going well until I cut the sleeves wrong. They are too small for me in the bicep area. Have ordered another yard of fabric to re-cut the sleeves so can't finish it right away. Oh well ... I will post pics when done. I have a pair of black pants made out of a ponte knit from Vogue Fabrics and just need to add the elastic waist. It will be nice to have a new outfit to wear. Am still working on machine embroidery and preemie baby clothes too.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: May 2019

New postby Skye on Mon May 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Don't you just hate it when you make a mistake 8-)

I am away for work this week but have a weekend sewing retreat to look forward to this weekend. Have taken next week off work too so good things to look forward too. Have got 2 dresses and a card I cut out to sew at retreat.
Skye

New postby MartySews2 on Tue May 07, 2019 10:44 am

Yeah, I knew better but was teaching a class and cut before I realized that I had not adjusted the sleeve. Spent yesterday afternoon working with my pattern making software. Have a fitting top pattern printed. Just have to cut out and stitch. Did not allow for seam allowances or ease so not sure how it will fit. Oh, well, it's all a learning process. At age 66, I'm still learning how to sew even though I teach classes. LOL!!!
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Wed May 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Made a new pair of black pants with inseam pockets for me today. Just have to topstitch and hem, then I will post a photo. Made completely on my Vibrant serger except for the topstitching and hemming. Also, am finishing a top for me that I started a week or so ago. I love sewing with my sergers.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Fri May 24, 2019 10:54 am

Spent yesterday with a friend designing and drafting a pattern for her. My inspiration was a tunic top that had a cowl collar that formed a hoodie that she bought on trip in Italy. The hem of the tunic had angled "wings". It also had front pockets. She loves the top and wanted a pattern to make more like it. I started out taking her measurements and examining the tunic to see how it was constructed. A lot of educators recommend taking apart a garment when making a copy. However, I found that was not necessary. Using Judy Kessinger's master top pattern as a base, I created a basic scoop neck tunic length top, added "wings" (triangles) to the sides of the pattern front and back. Then I created a sleeve that fit her measurements and ended it just below the elbow. Like me, she has a large bicep so I had to accomodate for that. I created a cowl neckline pattern piece and then a hood. The two pieces can be joined together at the center back seam to give her the hoodie she wanted. I showed her different ways that the neckline can be changed around for a V-neck, a boat neck or a higher jewel neckline. I also created other looks with different collars. For the pocket, I created a large, rectangle pocket. I showed her how the ends could be rounded for a different look and created a flap for the pocket. The flap could also be used to create a V in the top of the pocket for another look. All in all, it took about 3 hours and we had a lot of fun. She is so happy with her new pattern. I cannot wait to see the tunic made up. After she left, I cut out another pair of pants for me and removed elastic from the pair of pants that I made the other day. I did not like how they looked. A fun sewing day all in all.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sat May 25, 2019 6:37 am

Marty, I wish I could make patterns like you did for your friend. My brain isn't wired for it. It takes me 3 hours (or longer) just to alter an existing sleeve pattern so it fits, and that is using every book and instructions I can find to do it. The sewing I do for newborns is basic blankets, burps, bibs, tote bags and I've used purchased and free patterns for them and the clothing I make for them. I had a cousin who could look at a person for a few moments then grab a pen and newsprint paper and draw out a pattern (and not a basic simple style) that fit that person in a matter of seconds, and when she stitched it up it would fit. Her family was the best dressed/stylish family in town and she made most of their clothing.

Hope all are enjoying the holiday weekend. No plans here, don't like the beach and the older I get the less I can tolerate the heat/humidity so I stick pretty close to the A/C.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby Skye on Mon May 27, 2019 1:00 am

You have been busy Marty
Not much sewing here nearly finished a Necessary Clutch Wallet an Emmaline pattern I have used a red leather upholstery sample so far looking good. Waiting for some rivets to use with my Kam press to fasten folds.
Made a merino hoodie and t shirt for DGS today.
Rest time been busy at work - aorking extra days past w weeks.

Also reeling my BFF is in hospital dying from melanoma sad time for her family.
Skye

New postby MartySews2 on Mon May 27, 2019 8:41 am

Skye, hurry up and wait seems to happen a lot for me. Hope your rivets come soon. Will keep your BFF and her family in prayer during these sad days.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Mon May 27, 2019 8:53 am

Brockie, I probably would not have been able to make the pattern without Judy Kessinger's Master Top pattern as it gives a base from which to start. I have been studying books on patternmaking during my bed rest times and now have my own patternmaking software. I have not mastered it yet but am working toward having a fitted garment that I can use as a base for myself. Craftsy.com had some good classes that I purchased. I don't like Bluprint but can still access my Craftsy classes. Understanding how to take measurements and fit oneself is crucial so that's where my area of concentration is. I try to spend a little time every day working on this. Of course, there are no little ones to look after nor does hubby expect me to do a lot other than cook a meal or two a day. My time is pretty much my own. I am a poor housekeeper and should be concentrating on getting rid of clutter. However, sewing is more important to me than doing that so I overlook the mess and sew. I also go over to my church (about a mile away) to cut fabric and work on projects there too.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Return to Current Sewing Projects