Another machine

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Another machine

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:43 pm

I found a Singer Simple sewing machine at a thrift store today. It looked like it was brand new and I knew as long as it ran in the store I could probably get it running if something was off. I've been looking for a light weight machine to take to meetings and it looks like this one will fit the bill. When I got it home and opened it up it looked like it had never been used. Not a speck of dust anywhere. It runs like a champ, tensions are good, all the parts came with it except the manual and I've already downloaded it. The only thing I can't figure out is the needle threader. I was never anxious to have one so I'm not concerned with that. I haven't played with the buttonhole attachment yet but I don't plan on making button holes with this one anyways as I like the ones on my Viking machines. Since it won't get a lot of use other than at the meetings it should last a while. I never thought I would get another Singer machine as I have had nothing but bad luck with them-my apologies to those who like Singer. I've read a lot of reviews on this machine since I brought it home and the users either love it or hate it.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: Another machine

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13 pm

That's awesome, Brockie. For a class machine, it seems perfect. I've had good luck with some Singer machines. Which model is it? Being curious here :lol:
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:58 am

It's a Singer Simple model 3116.
I was in another thrift store yesterday and they had another Singer but with only 5 or 6 stitches and you had to turn the dial for each 'leg' of a button hole, it had no power cord or foot pedal and no accessories box and it was dirty and beat up and they wanted more for it than what I paid for my Simple. I told DH that we really lucked out with my new machine.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:46 am

Brockie, your machine is a good machine. Here is a resource if you need parts for it, a manual or extra presser feet in the future ... http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/singer ... paign=(roi)+singer+parts+-+(sku)&utm_content=singer+3116&utm_term=singer%203116&utm_creative=e

Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:27 am

Thanks Marty for the link. I have been to the site before, buying feet for my Viking. I love my Viking but extra feet are so expensive. Parts on line have generic feet and they fit and aren't expensive.

I figured out the needle threader but it isn't worth the effort to use it. I also played around making buttonholes and this machine makes great buttonholes. I didn't have to adjust anything except for the dial to make buttonholes and the stitch length to buttonholes. I may be making buttonholes on this machine from now on. So far the only thing I don't like about the machine is the presser foot shank. I have a tendency to hit the presser foot release when I raise the presser foot lever. They are close when the lever is down and it doesn't take but a slight touch to release the foot. First time I did it I was wondering what happened. Now that I know how it happens I am more careful and watchful but it still happens a lot. I may try a new shank and see if that makes a difference.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Return to Sewing Machines