What would you do?

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

What would you do?

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:38 am

I have a piece of light weight knit, apparently tubular. It has a stripe knit into the fabric not printed. If I get the knit grain straight the stripe is at an angle and if the stripe is straight the knit is off grain. What would you do? I did cut a gown with the stripe straight and will stitch it up and wash it to see how it behaves. I may do the same with the stripe at an angle not sure at this point.
Any suggestions? I really like this fabric other than the obvious. I was hoping to get a dozen gowns out of the piece but the number will go down if I have to fuss with it.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: What would you do?

New postby sewingmom on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:17 am

I have always read that knit does not have a grain, but I know you are talking about how the knit stitches lay out and how the stripes lay out in relation to the edge of the fabric. I think I would wash the fabric and dry it whatever way you intend to launder the finished product. Then carefully cut out each pattern one piece at a time with the fabric not doubled over. Do this so you can get the stripes matched up precisely. You may need to turn the pattern pieces a little or a lot at an odd angle to get the stripes matched up. It requires more fabric but will be more eye pleasing.
sewingmom

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Sewingmom, the fabric has been washed/dried. I did cut out one gown as you described, I'm just concerned that the line of knit since it isn't straight will cause the garment seams to start to twist, you know the look-underarm seam that curves around to the front/back.
I found this article showing what I am talking about-grain line or the line of knit stitches. http://sewaholic.net/cutting-knit-fabric/
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby sewingmom on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:18 pm

Brockie, thanks for the link. Now how have you handled the off grain striped fabric you have.
Belinda
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:46 am

Hi Brockie, for your piece of knit fabric, I would open it up flat by carefully cutting the tube. That will give you a better option of working with the stripes. To match stripes, I use fabric glue to hold the pattern pieces together when I stitch. Your fabric glue can be E6000 or Elmer's washable glue stick (like children use in school). Let the glue dry and give it a press to seal the glue which washes out when the garment is laundered. All fabrics have a grainline and this link gives a good explanation ... http://thecuttingclass.com/post/3233126291/grainlines ... This should help you get the most out of your fabric. Happy Sewing!!!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:21 am

Belinda, I cut one gown off grain but having the stripes match and it came out as expected-slightly twisted. The gown cut on grain didn't twist but the stripes were no where near matching. I'm going to have to think this through-would I rather have the stripes match and have a garment twisted or have mismatched stripes and not. I'm leaning towards the mismatch because who wants a twisted garment on a baby? The gown only has to match on the entire side seam it shouldn't be that noticeable if it is mismatched-especially to non-sewers-I hope. :o
Thanks for the link Marty, interesting site. My fabric had already been cut flat when I purchased it, big patches of dried glue along the cut edge. The fabric has stripes knit into it but they don't line up if the knit is on grain.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Return to Understanding Fabrics