Newbie research before I buy

New here? Stop in and say hello!

Newbie research before I buy

New postby Steph on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:56 am

Hello all,

My name is Steph (stephen, yes I'm a male). I'm not shy to learn, well, anything. I Crocheted & Knitted when I was young and even sewed w/ my mothers machine as well. I am now 51 and by myself. I've recently shed the city to live in the country and eating bunches of peaches. I've needed a few sewing projects (simple stuff) done, so, I've asked the women I run into if they might help? I don't know what's wrong w/ the towns around here, but most of the ladies I've met don't even have a sewing machine. And, if they do, they think it's in the back, way back, under some boxes, in the room they can't get to. Most say they are not sure if it works or they don't think they could use it if it did. The only shop I went to, (orientals) could barely understand me describe a pillow (gun rest, sand bag type project) and wanted 2 weeks for $25.00 or $50.00 if needed that day. Heck, a 2 minute job, I could have hand sewn it in a couple of hours or less. It was a very long skid mark in the gravel I left when exiting.

I'm done. I'm going to purchase a machine. Used, new or stolen, and learn how to thread it up and fill the bobbin. At those prices and the lack of supply around here, I may eat less peaches and start a side income w/ my spare time. :)

Anyway, I'm here to ask questions about new/used machine prospects and/or any techniques I have trouble w/.
Thanks for your generous consideration,
Steph
Steph

Re: Newbie research before I buy

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Hi Steph and welcome to the group. I have two modern sewing and embroidery machines, a sewing only machine and a serger. They are all Babylock machines. You didn't say which area of the country that you live in but I would check with the American Sewing Guild info page to see if they have a chapter in your area. You would be able to connect with others who sew. Their website is http://www.asg.org. Ask any questions that you may have and I will try to answer.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Introduce Yourself