Sewing notions

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Sewing notions

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:53 am

While on vacation we stopped into a Walmart that had bins outside on clearance. One bin was nothing but sewing notions. I bought 4 pair of scissors-don't we all need more? Actually 2 pair were kitchen type shears and DH wanted them. Another pair was for my knitting bag as nail clippers just weren't making it, and the last pair was that came with a wrench that I could adjust the blades as I'd like. DH thought they would be good. They also had a bundle of quilting rulers, I may not quilt but I can never have too many rulers since I use them with my rotary cutter. Speaking of rotary cutters they had 5 packs of blades for $7. Needless to say I bought 2 packs since I use my cutter all the time and the blades do get dull fairly quickly and I've never had luck with sharpening them. I should be set for blades, rulers and scissors for years to come now. I also bought some of those new clips I've seen for sewist that were in the bin. Since there were 50 of them I split the pack with my DDIL as she is new to sewing. Has anyone used these before? I've heard nothing but good about them so I hope they are as good as what others say. I'll let you know after I have a chance to use them.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: Sewing notions

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:58 am

Sounds like an awesome find, Brockie ... I rarely use my rotary cutters and I'm always looking for cheap scissors for around the house. No one is allowed to touch my good Ginghers. I have a pair of craft, 2 pairs of dressmaker, and various others for embroidery and hand needlework. Also, one of my friends works in a hospital so she brings me surgical scissors which I use as thread nips around my machines. I had to rescue a pair of my nips when the workmen wanted to use them for cutting into plastic. They got a hold of my Fiskar scissors and broke them. After that, all of my scissors were stashed where they couldn't find them. Not taking any chances.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:45 am

This tip is for everyday use, not sewing.. Watch for Harbor Freight Ads.! ! ! There is always a coupon for a free gift when you purchase something. They have lots of dollar items, so you can spend only 1 dollar and when you have the fee coupon ,you can get a pair of scissors free tha are handy dandy for geneal around the houseuse. . They are very strong. we have a pair in each Toolbox and also the kitchen and in the large storeroom downstairs. DS and I have separate toolboxes. He misplaces stuff, or does not put things back in place after use and that is why I have my own toolbox. If he has to use any of mine, I watch him til he hands it back to me. Those Harbor Freight ads always have a coupon for a free item. I buy the 10 package of single edge razor blades for only 1 dollar because when we make up the birthing kits for UMCOR they require a razor blade along with the 3 12 inch pieces of string. (I guess for cutting the cord) Also we each have good box cutters that require that blade. other item for 1 buck are Krqzy glue, 3 clips on a card, some yard gloves are less than 2 dollars. I like the free 25 foot steel tape when that is the free item. we have 1 on each level in the house and one in the glove box in the car.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Libby we have those scissors also and in our tool boxes too. I even have a pair in my shed for use in my garden. We've also gotten flashlights free from Harbor Freight. I tried their rotary blades they have in a 2 pack but there is so much tape in the packaging they are hard to get out then the residue on the blade afterwards makes it hard to use so stopped getting them. I've gotten lots of little things from there to use in my sewing room-the plastic containers they have were perfect for my button collection, my tool box, and hammer too. DH and I both get the ad so we both have the coupons and generally find something we need.
When DS lived with us I got tired of not finding my hammer in my tool box when I needed it so wrote MOM in big bold letters on the handle and after that didn't have any problems. This is the same son who used my good sewing scissors to cut a piece of wire when he was in his teens. He has never lived that one down.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Brockie, I have 2 DS and they both are southpaws like me. So, I used to have a hard time with my sewing scissors. They wanted to cut paper and everything else with them. I finally bought a 2nd pair of fiskars and gave them the old ones. This was years ago, before the spring loaded ones came along. They did enjoy having leftie scissors to use without sneaking. Nowadays Chris just uses those from Harbor Freight and cuts with his right hand. I try to time it so that he is handy when I need something cut with them.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:40 pm

DDIL gave me 2 Pilot FriXon gel pens when we visited them. She had taken some sewing lessons and she said the instructor raved about these pens. Almost like magic the lines disappear when touched by a warm iron. She used them for marking cutting lines since she has very limited space for cutting. I half way remembered reading about them several years ago but couldn't remember what it was at the time. I did some research when we got home and found that the lines don't really disappear, the gel remains behind and will reappear if put in the freezer or subjected to cold temps. Apparently there is also a warning not to use these pens on any legal papers, exams etc because of the disappearing act in heat. I did put a piece of fabric with markings on it in our car and yes, it got hot enough for the lines to disappear. I think for marking cutting lines and anything else that won't show these pens would be great but I don't think I would use them for marking darts, pockets or even seam lines as the lines might reappear at times. Some of the reviews I read said that even after washing the markings would reappear if put in the freezer. Anyone have any experience with these pens?
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Brockie, I have heard of many folks who have had projects and clothing ruined because of these pens. I, personally, won't use them. I do use Crayola washable markers as I know that they will wash out especially with a little Dawn dishwashing liquid on them. Just saying ...
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:07 pm

All my buddies were so sad when they did not work. I never bought one. I usually let someone else try first. They have more money to spend than I do..
on the other hand, my best friend in the world is a bottle of Dawn. It even took old mustard and spaghetti sauce out of my shirts .. I am so clumsy with my eating habits sometimes.I test anything like markers etc. with dawn when I want it to be permanent.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:46 am

Marty, do the markers come in a fine point?
I don't plan on using the frixion pens where the marks can be seen, basically for dots in the seam allowances is it or if I have to trace a pattern first instead of cutting it out.
Libby, DH is the messy one in this house when it comes to eating. I love Dawn and DSIL turned me on to Oxi Clean Laundry stain remover that comes in a spray bottle. I buy it in the large refill bottles. The directions say spray and rub and put in wash. I spray and toss into the hamper and wash when I have a full load. It has taken out all types of stains that presoaks of various ilks have failed to do over the years. It has even removed old set in stains.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:39 am

Brockie, these are the ones that I use in drafting and altering patterns.
http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Ultra-Cle ... rs+crayola
I use chalk when marking fabrics.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Return to General Sewing