update on my husband

Chat about family and home.

update on my husband

New postby sewingmom on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 pm

My Dh had his stroke/baseball size brain hemorrhage Jan 2013. Well, 18 months later he is still in working diligently to recover. After the stroke He was unable to swallow or talk. He couldn't even grunt. He also had right side weakness and unable to walk or use his right arm. 90 days later he was sent home from rehab because he was able to walk 2 miles a day and dress and feed himself. He didn't understand much of what people said to him and if he responded, it was barely audible and only one or two words that might or might not be appropriate. He couldn't read or write. By August last year we were taking Ball Room dancing lessons but seizures started in the next few weeks and his left shoulder was shattered and then replaced with a fancy metal one. The seizures and medicines set him back and he lost a lot of ground. While in the hospital for shoulder surgery, we discovered he had prostate problems and in January this year, he had prostate surgery. Well he has had up to 8 hours a week of therapy and at least 2-4 hours other weeks. Three Weeks ago He just began to improve and is improving a bit every few days. He picked up a list of my credit card charges and showed me the charge that made the bill so high. Tonight he said " Next week would you call the pharmacy and......." He couldn't get the rest of the words out, but He had strung 8 words together before he stumbled. It was even easily heard and understandable. I am elated and just had to tell someone. We go to get his service dog in 4 weeks. I think that will increase his speaking effort also. Thanks for "listening" and Please continue to keep us in your prayers and Happy sewing.
Belinda
sewingmom

Re: update on my husband

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:46 am

Oh, Belinda, the last 2 years have been a real struggle for you and Ronnie but I am so happy to "hear" the good news. Ronnie speaking those 8 words clearly was a blessing as I know that life has overwhelmed you at times. However, you are still in my thoughts and prayers. I'm out today but you can always call me when you need someone. My numbers haven't changed nor has my address. Would you please PM me your home address? I would like to send you something. (((HUGS)))
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby cgmemphis on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:33 am

Miss Belinda, so happy for your husband's progress! It must be so hard sometimes for the both of you, and I admire your courage!
Hugs, Cheryl
cgmemphis

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Wonderful news Belinda. Therapy does work and when those brain synapses finally connect it is a miracle. Keeping you both in my prayers. Having a therapy dog will be great as it does encourage speaking as most people talk to animals even when they aren't "working", plus all the talking Ronnie will have to do to give his dog commands.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Glad to hear about Ronnie's continued improvement! It sounds like he has made remarkable progress, although I'm sure it has been a long road and still many challenges are ahead. I am particularly curious to hear more when you get his service dog. Do you have pets, or have you had any in the past?
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby sewingmom on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Kaitlin, we have had dogs of several different varieties . Some were rescue dogs. Some were purebred, though we have never owned a retriever. I grew up with a German Shepherd house pet who had been a companion dog for a paraplegic man. Ronnie had Bird dogs for hunting. We have had various and sundry smaller house pets also. Our biggest challenge was when we had our 2 dogs and DS asked us to keep his two just till he could get an apartment where he could keep them again. That lasted 2-3 years, ending,when Ronnie became ill they went back home and our last two had met their demise. I have missed having a furry friend around. Kaitlin, I am so looking forward to knowing the dog will wake me if Ronnies status changes during the night. I do not get much sleep because his diabetes is so tricky and the seizures usually hit in the morning when we are busy about the house getting ready to go to some therapy. He has become aware when one is going to strike him so he gets to a recliner or bed. on the bed he has to be kept from slipping off. We are getting our dog from Retrieving Independence out of Tennessee http://www.riassistancedogs.org. They have a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ServingWithCanines. They are a non profit organization partnered with the Tennessee prison system and they use prisoners to help train the dogs in conjunction with a qualified service dog trainer and volunteers who take the dogs home on the weekends to help acclimate them to family life and restaurants and malls. The prison Warden said his family takes one dog home every weekend.
The cost of the dog is much less this way than the standard service dog that costs as much or more than $20,000. Like I said the cost per dog from this organization is much less. We are grateful to find this resource.
Belinda
sewingmom

New postby pinecone on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Glad to hear Ronnie has been making progress after many setbacks. How frustrating it must be for him too to have the words stuck in his head and can't get them out. Hoping the therapy dog helps to heal. Thanks for stopping in when your plate is so full.

piney
pinecone

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Belinda. I am so glad to hear that Ronnie is making progress. I still keep you two in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad to hear that you will be getting a dog. They are so much help. I know that you will be able to get more restful sleep knowing that you will be wakened if you are needed. That will help you a lot I know. So glad to hear from you.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingmom on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 am

Service Dog! Right now Zeus is laying beside Ronnie guarding over him as he does not feel well and Blood sugar level is rising in spite of insulin injected.
zeus gets the teeth brushed.png
zeus gets the teeth brushed.png (151.44 KB) Viewed 6483 times

grooming zeus.png
grooming zeus.png (163.26 KB) Viewed 6307 times

Grooming Zeus so he wuld be presentable for church made Ronnie and Zeus really tired..png
Grooming Zeus so he wuld be presentable for church made Ronnie and Zeus really tired..png (154.15 KB) Viewed 6502 times
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Belinda, the pictures are great. I do hope that Zeus will give you some peace of mind and free up a little time for you to have to yourself.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Next

Return to Home and Hearth