My First Dress

Pictures and descriptions of finished projects, plus tutorials of how to make sewing projects!

My First Dress

New postby Little Bear on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:57 am

So I've only just started sewing in the last few months and I needed a dress for my Godson's christening so I took on the Simplicity 3503 with a printed Jersey and made myself a dress :-)

There's a few things that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped and other bits that worked really well all in all though I am pretty proud of myself :D
Attachments
KB first dress.jpg
KB first dress.jpg (84.68 KB) Viewed 5505 times
Mrs B ~ a beautiful thing is never perfect
Little Bear

Re: My First Dress

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:09 am

Looks like you did a very nice job. Looks to me it fits well too and that isn't always easy to do. Love the fabric.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:36 am

It's lovely Mrs B ... The neckline can be kind of tricky but using a good fusible interfacing (even if the pattern doesn't call for it) can be the trick to having it fall where it should and not have any gaps or oops kind of moments. Great job on this dress.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewhappyrtr on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Wow.. I think it looks fantastic.. I may have to look that pattern up. I know I am my own worst critic when I sew and know all the mistakes, but of course other people don't have a clue.. So good job I say :applause: :applause:
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby Little Bear on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:18 pm

sewingrandma wrote:Looks like you did a very nice job. Looks to me it fits well too and that isn't always easy to do. Love the fabric.

Thanks Brockie!
I looked it up on pattern review before I started and everything I found said to take it down a size. I found that to be a bit stressful cos when I tried on the top without the skirt it didn't fit at all! I almost when back and recut it (I bought spare material just in case!) but by the time the skirt was on it pulled it all together!

MartySews2 wrote:It's lovely Mrs B ... The neckline can be kind of tricky but using a good fusible interfacing (even if the pattern doesn't call for it) can be the trick to having it fall where it should and not have any gaps or oops kind of moments. Great job on this dress.
Marty ;)

Marty I hadn't thought to use interfacing, the pattern called for lining but I was too scared to try! I ended up putting a row of stitches along the bust line to keep it from moving, it's not the prettiest but unless you're up close I don't think it's overly noticeable :-)
2013-11-19 09.32.21.jpg
2013-11-19 09.32.21.jpg (40.9 KB) Viewed 5450 times

Wow.. I think it looks fantastic.. I may have to look that pattern up.

Thanks Karen! It's actually a great and versatile pattern. Considering it was the first pattern I'd used other than a 'Learn to Sew' I found it reasonably easy to use once I got the hang of if and I'd definitely recommend it!

Mrs B
Little Bear

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 am

That is a beautiful dress.. I have always loved that neckline detail. The fabric is great also. I love colorful prints best of all! ! Great job on the fitting also. Keep up the great work, Mrs. B .
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Little Bear on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks Libby! Isn't the fabric fantastic and on a sale rack no less!
Little Bear

New postby sewingmom on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Mrs. B, I really like your dress. You can wear it with pride.
Belinda
sewingmom

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:01 pm

What a lovely dress - I never would have guessed that it was your first! I just love sewing knits - they are so nice to wear and minimize a lot of fitting issues. I love how prints like that cover up any imperfections in the sewing too - if a hem isn't perfectly straight, etc. Not that you necessarily have those issues (but I do!).

I might have to pick up that pattern. Or.. Maybe I already have it? It looks familiar. Did you do the tie at the back neckline with the V-back, or more of a straight across back? It's hard to tell from the envelope if those pieces are interchangeable.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Little Bear on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:55 am

kaitlinnegan wrote:I love how prints like that cover up any imperfections in the sewing too

This is very, very relevant! It was definitely a factor in choosing the fabric! :)

kaitlinnegan wrote:Did you do the tie at the back neckline with the V-back

It did have a tie back but I chose not to put it in, I don't like anything pulling across the back of my neck.
Little Bear

Return to Completed Sewing Projects and Tutorials