where is everyone?

Too quiet around here? Wondering why no one is posting? Post your existential musings here.

Re: where is everyone?

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:35 am

How do you make gumdrops. That is one candy that I love especially in citrus flavors.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:43 pm

We met at 10 am this morning and stuffed our 50 Stockings going to the troop in Kandahar Afghanistan. I have not heard yet if the donations covered the mailing expenses. Our church members are already talking about what to do differently next year.. It does my heart good to see the support we get for this project. Now maybe I can do some sewing for gifts for the family. I think I have gotten most of my charitable work out of the way. I still can make a few more bibs for the USO unit at the airport if I have time. Otherwise the 23 on hand will have to do.. (had 2 more but a friend's daughter had a little girl last week, and she had to have 2 bibs) My thoughts, not theirs. LOL..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Maybe one of your stockings will end up with my DD's boyfriend! he is in Afghanistan until January or Feburary
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:30 pm

These are going to a unit in Kandahar that staffs a medical clinic there and are for the unit and the patients this year.. Last year a son of a church member was in this unit. We sent 25 last year, but this year Brian is back and he asked us to include patients and all involved so that is why we sent 50 today. Actually we sent 51, because we had a few items left and so the group filled the 1st stocking i made from scraps to test the pattern and sent it along. LOL Sandra had been using it to test what would or would not fit inside..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Mule on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 am

Brockie, Gumdrops are pretty easy to make as most recipes just use Knox gelatin, and it doesn't have to be cooked to a specific temperature like many candies. Some of the recipes say to flavor with extracts, but I would recommend using LorAnn flavoring oils as they're much better. They have a zillion flavors available on their website, or I've seen a small selection of their popular flavors at Hobby Lobby.

For candy that's more like the larger fruit jellies, recipes generally call for fresh fruit puree (or juice mixed with applesauce for texture) cooked with pectin.

It's sugar, so you can't go wrong either way! :D
Beth
Mule

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks Beth for the info. I'll have to look into it.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Previous

Return to Where is everyone?