Split Rail and Baby buggy quilt fabrics

What quilting projects are you working on?

Re: Split Rail and Baby buggy quilt fabrics

New postby bridesmom on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Well sure you can! Thought on the border, make it either 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 of the block size, it's just more pleasing to the eye mathematically. You can also do the same size as the block, but it's a big border.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:34 pm

While cutting them down and adding a border would not have been a big deal, I did not take into consideration all the blocks that I did cut right and sew together would have to be ripped out so I scratched that idea.

Counted what I had, what I could make with fabric on hand and reconfigured the quilt. Took apart some of the ones already put together and made four "sets" of 12 blocks each. If I sew them all together and make the top, I could add a border to end up with a decent size but will have to buy fabric for the border (which should be long strips and not pieced, correct)?

Or, I can use navy blue that I have and put sashing inbetween the four sets vertically and horizontally with one solid navy blue block in the center where all the pieces join. I laid that out on the bed and I kinda like it even though it's not what I originally planned. I have enough to do the binding in the same navy then I will only need to come up with backing (light blue sheet I was going to use does not look good, wrong shade of blue but sheets are not that expensive) or I can piece it with something that I have and accent it with the leftover blocks.

I really want to get it done asap and it's not looking like I can hit the fabric store this payday since my car is going to the shop on Monday.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:47 am

Here are the two choices: border or sashing, I do not have enough to do both and that would prob. overpower the design anyway.

If I do the border, I will have to piece it together with mitered seams (like I do binding) so the seams won't be as noticeable. This does not "take away" from the split rail design and the design remains the focus (IMO). I planned to use the navy as the binding also, does it look odd if the border and binding are the same?

If I do the sashing, I could make all the pieces meet in the center with a center navy block that I could hand embroider a "P" on for their last name. That would be the "focal point" and the four separate split rails would be the design. Not sure how the quilting could/would be done if I did not want the center "P" quilted? I've never seen a mid-arm or long-arm in action so I don't now how the work and I can't get youtube to load at all today, keeps kicking me off!

split rail with border.jpg
split rail with border.jpg (46.42 KB) Viewed 2964 times

split rail with sashing.jpg
split rail with sashing.jpg (30.06 KB) Viewed 2961 times

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:54 am

Kathy, either of your ideas would probably work. As to border fabric, often it is one long length...but not necessarily. I've put a seam in the middle of my borders when I only have a certain amount of fabric. Quilters will cut two strips the width of fabric (WOF) which is usually 45" and piece them together to get their borders. This is what I have done...saves buying large amounts just to get borders. Another idea is to add blocks in your borders so that you can use shorter lengths. I did that with the preemie quilt made when I only had a small pieces left over. That's the joy of quilting...being short of fabric is just a design opportunity! ;)

BTW, I thought I'd show you what a lady did for the borders of a charity quilt I quilted for Victoria's Quilts Canada (VQC). This is one where the log cabin blocks were donated but there was no matching fabrics, etc. So a lady used all different types of blues and reds of similiar shades and made blocks and strips to create the borders. You're only limited by your imagination.
Image[/url]
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:02 am

I was writing my post while you were posting your second one. I like both your options. And I do quilts all the time where the border & binding fabrics are the same and so do others. So either options would work. And I've seen quilts where the borders are pieced using a mitre or with a seam pieced straight across at the centre. Use which ever one works for your fabrics. I like the layout in the first pic since I like rail fence quilts...but go with the one you prefer since it's your quilt.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby bridesmom on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Totally agree with Judy, let your imagination go crazy. Do what you like and what you like the look of. There are no rules here at all. My only suggestion if you are going to piece border fabric that is the same fabric, then do a 45 degree seam, it's less noticeable than sewing end to end. http://www.mccallsquilting.com/articles/piecing_sashing_border_binding_strips. Same as when you make long binding strips. Also is easier to sew through, cause you don't have all the seam allowances at the same place. Binding can be same fabric as border or different, depends on what you want it to look like. I go either way, depends on what I have for fabric and what I feel like that day. The beauty of quilting, is doing what you want. Will be interesting to see what you come up with! I'm doing a quilt right now, that is just strips of fabric with odd rectangles placed in wherever. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's going to turn out like.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Think I'll do the border and piece it like I do the binding (and per the link, thanks). I quit on it today because I couldn't decide then the computer messed up. Amanda (dd16) and I spent the afternoon making Easter baskets out of the purse pattern I bought (no purse yet though). They aren't done since I can't find my loop turner for the handles so I'll look for it tomorrow and post pics when done.

Kathy
kjh9835

Previous

Return to Current Quilting Projects