Nov 2018

What sewing projects are you working on?

Nov 2018

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Ack ... The project that almost made me pull my hair out ... One of my church friends needed her mother of the bride dress shortened and hemmed so I agreed to do it. It is an evening gown in which I had to shorten it 9 inches. So, I thought a quick small rolled hem on the serger would suffice. Ah, no ... She wanted it to look like the RTW hem in another dress ... Basically, she wanted a 1/8 inch double folded hem on all 3 layers of the dress. The fabric was a slinky jersey knit with 2 sheer overlays that criss-crossed. Ah, the fabric from hell. No way was it going to behave to sew on the machine for the RTW look. After 7 attempts and 5 days, I ended up sitting up all night for 2 nights in a row hemming the dress by hand. I got it done with the stitching as invisible as possible. Of course, this ran into the weekend that my new furniture arrived. I had to declutter my bedroom so the old furniture could be removed and the new furniture put in place. It was also the weekend that a long time friend from Atlanta came to visit for a minute. She literally caught me with my nightgown on, cooking breakfast, in a house that was totally topsy-turvey. Now, it has been a few days and I haven't heard from my church friend how she liked the dress. I'm hoping that it is because she is busy with wedding activities and not because she hated the look of the dress. Now, on to other projects.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Nov 2018

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 am

Working on preemie and newborn size infant clothing ... the site http://www.warmheartswarmbabies.org ... has some great sewing patterns including a romper for boys with a little vest. Too cute!!! The patterns are more realistic in size for preemies and newborns. Brockie, thought you might like this site.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks for thinking of me Marty. These are the patterns I've been using. They are so cute and easy to make. I've traced them all onto poster board so I don't even have to pin them now. I did have to narrow the gown and the T-shirt as they aren't close fitting as Newborns in Need requires but otherwise they fit the preemies good. I've been stitching up a storm here lately, trying to get ahead so that I don't panic in December when the donations generally go down. I'll have to check out the newborn patterns as I've not seen them before. I must have backed into the preemie patterns as I didn't recognize the page your link took me too. The link I have takes me directly to the preemies. Thanks again.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 pm

My friend told me on Sunday that her dress was perfect and she totally appreciated the work that I did. She apologized for not letting me know sooner but with her husband ill, her sister's death and the wedding all within 1 week was bit much for her. On top of that she suffered a bad cut on her right wrist 2 nights before the wedding that required stitches. All I could do was hug her and let her know that hemming her dress was a privilege.

Tomorrow, I start my "Angel Project" ... The ANGEL PROJECT has been approved. I am excited. In our church's hospitality hall will be a little 2ft Christmas tree that I will cover with embroidered angels (about 30). The embroidery design is from Martha Pullen designs from 2011 (?) embroidery club. Attached to each angel will be the name of a homebound member. Am asking our church members to take an angel and provide a gift of soft candy with an activity book, devotional book or hand lotion. The activity books can be a crossword puzzle book, a word search, or coloring book with colored pencils. The ornaments are to be kept by the giver as a reminder that they are angels. This will remind our faithful homebound members that they are loved and not forgotten. The tree will be up on Nov 25th and the gifts should be put under the tree no later than Dec 16th. St Luke's will be responsible for delivering It will be a fun project.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Have completed 25 angels since last night. Each angel has over 21,000 stitches and takes 30 minutes to stitch out.
Angel Project 2018.JPG
Angel Project 2018.JPG (46.03 KB) Viewed 2425 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby Skye on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:08 am

Marty the angels are beautiful.

I have made some Jalie Clara leggings for DIL Xmas present.
Went shopping with DD yesterday for fabric for a dress. She has 4 weddings to attend in the next 3 months .
Hope to get that pattern traced off and fitted this coming Friday.
Made eye spy quilt for DGC first birthday 3 days after Xmas .so slow,my getting organise for xmas
Skye

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:50 am

Marty and Skye, you sure are doing better than I am. I am struggling to get into the sewing room lately. I did put together a blanket, burp, and bib set yesterday but it took me several hours to get it done and all I had to do was serge around the edges and apply a set of snaps. I will say that I have been knitting and crocheting some blankets lately so that may be my problem, or not. Hope to get busy this week with everything that is already cut out.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:47 am

I am still working on lace table runners started last year for Christmas gifts. Hopefully, I can finish them this year. The lace patterns are intricate and require quite a bit of handwork on each of them. It is taking me a lot longer than I thought it would. Also am making sock monkeys (started last year) for my great nephews. Hoping to find some Winnie-the-Pooh fabric to make pillowcases for my great nephews this year. Have not looked though.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Given more names today at church ... Guess I will be stitching angels tomorrow ... I need to get some more white rayon embroidery thread as well as bobbin thread. Here is a pic of the angel project tree ...
Angel Project Tree 2018 reduced.jpeg
Angel Project Tree 2018 reduced.jpeg (65.81 KB) Viewed 2392 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

Return to Current Sewing Projects