May 2018

What sewing projects are you working on?

May 2018

New postby MartySews2 on Sun May 06, 2018 10:39 am

Here it is May already ... I have been sewing pillows, pillows and more pillows. I have serged the edges of almost 100 pillows since the end of January. They have been given to "Room in the Inn" for distribution to the homeless who sleep on the streets of Memphis. The pillows are a simple 18 inch by 18 inch square, sewn with a 6 inch opening for stuffing, then serged to secure the fabric, stuffed and closed shut with a quick seam on my sewing machine. It takes about 30 minutes to make a pillow from cutting out to finishing. My 18 inch ruler is perfect for this project. I am using donated fabric and fabric swatches from an upholstery shop to make the pillows. In some instances the fabric is pieced together. On my machine's table, I have 2 pairs of pants that I need to complete the alterations and 6 napkins to embroider as a gift. Believe it or not, I have not sewn anything in almost 2 weeks as I have been working at my church on putting out the monthly newsletter. Lots & lots of typing. So what is everyone else sewing?
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: May 2018

New postby sewingrandma on Sun May 06, 2018 5:31 pm

You certainly have been busy Marty. A job well done. When I was reading your thread I immediately thought about the swatches at upholstery shops and that they would be a perfect size. I have found using poster board for patterns for something cut out frequently is perfect. Saves a lot of time in measuring. I either use my rotary cutter and zip around the pattern or take a marker (Frixion pen) and trace the pattern then use scissors to cut.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Sat May 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Today, I visited a new fabric store and found lots of cute fabrics for children. It's called "Fabric for the Flock" and they also have an online fabric store that I think is called Delta Patchwork. I was surprised and pleased that the owner announced that it is a faith based store. You could see scriptural references around the store. I'm glad that some are not afraid to share their spiritual beliefs. Right now, they mostly sell quilting cottons and quilting classes on Mondays when the store is closed. We had a delightful time visiting the store, doing some shopping and having lunch at a Southern cooking restaurant called "Sweet Peas". After the outing a few friends and I went back to our meeting place at my church for Sit & Sew. I worked on making a sewing organizer for myself. A delightful day spent with sewing friends is always a pleasure. I'm now finishing up some alterations for my next door neighbor. A great Mother's Day weekend.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 am

Did a quick job last Friday night ... A dear friend (like our 2nd daughter) was getting married on Saturday morning ... The groom realized on Friday night that the suit he bought did not have the pants hemmed ... So I had him put them on, checked to see where the hem should go (no pins or chalk to use). Then I took them home with me after the rehearsal dinner and party, ran them thru the serger after cutting off 2 inches. Then I turned up a 1-1/2 inch hem and prayed that they would be right length. And they were a perfect fit. I am so glad that I can sew. Disaster averted!!!
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm

That was a great save being able to hem the groom's pants. When DS got married years ago he forgot black socks. I was the only one who had a pair so that is what he wore. Good thing I buy men's socks!!
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Sat May 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Productive sewing afternoon ... made almost 25 pillows for the homeless ... Stuffed 14 of them and have 10 more ready to stuff and close. This makes our total of over 100 pillows since the end of January. I do believe that I will meet my goal of 200 pillows and maybe even more. I thank the ladies in my American Sewing Guild chapter for helping me with this project.

2018 Pillows for Homeless.jpg
2018 Pillows for Homeless.jpg (107.45 KB) Viewed 1755 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

Return to Current Sewing Projects