January 2018

What sewing projects are you working on?

January 2018

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 pm

Happy New Year to everyone. Hope anyone that has been impacted by the East Coast storm is warm and safe.

I've been busy sewing baby gowns this week. Today I finished up 7 gowns with 4 matching hats. I also cut out 5 more gowns which I don't think I'll start until next week.

Abby has been on a Doctor kick lately. Says she is going to be a doctor. Has set up her 'Office' with her little computer included. I have a stethoscope that she wears around her neck and she listens to everyone's heart, the cat included and says she is going to help make us feel better. She really has quite the imagination. I've got a pattern for scrubs and will adapt a pattern for a lab coat since she says she needs a 'doctors coat'. If I could get out of the house (snowed in for at least another day, maybe 2 more) I'd get started on it. I'd love to find some Doc McStuffins fabric to make the coat out of.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: January 2018

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:57 am

Sounds adorable, Brockie. I have been confined to the house since Nov 27th except for doctor appointments. This week I have my doctor's permission to mingle with small groups of people (no crowds) so I'm going Wednesday to get my hair cut and plan to go to our ASG meeting on Saturday. I haven't been to the salon since June so this will be a wonderful day of pampering. My CHF numbers are still too high was 1082 and are now down to 570 but a long way from 125 which is the goal. I have been sewing and sewing but nothing is completed. The table linens are a 5 step process and I have completed 2 of them in Step 2. This step requires hand sewing all of the pieces together to make the lace for the 10 table linens. For Christmas, I got some new books, sewing DVDs, and other such goodies. One of my books is the classic "Gone with the Wind". I've seen the movie many times but have never read the book until now. I also have the book "The Darkest Hour" and "Grant" by Ron Chernow who also wrote "Hamilton". Lots of reading to do. Before Christmas, I read the book "The Sewing Machine" and "The Seamstress: A Memoir of Survival". Both are excellent books. Since Dec 4th, I have put over 3 million stitches on my machine. WOW!!!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 am

Sorry to hear your numbers aren't where they should be Marty. Continue to follow doctors orders and don't over do.
I can't imagine being housebound since the end of November. I got cabin fever just being cooped up for the storm last week for 7 days. I know parents of school age kids were thankful when schools reopened-most schools were closed for a week. Snow clearing equipment is lacking here and it is understandable, we don't have storms like this very often. Only main roadways are plowed and neighborhoods are left untouched as are exit/entrance ramps onto the highways. Generally we don't have the frigid temperatures either so the combo of the amount of snow and temps the snow stuck around until yesterday. Most times it is gone in a day or so.

I've been working on Abby's lab coat and let me say I had forgotten how much I dislike putting sleeves in the round in. I tried my best to put it in flat but the sleeves just wouldn't cooperate. Plus working on something that is a toddler size 3 in a non-stretch cotton makes it even harder to do and my sewing machines free arm isn't small enough to slide the sleeve opening on to. One down and I am going to give myself time before I start the second sleeve.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby Skye on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:51 pm

Hope that the second sleeve behaved and went in ok.

Marty hope your stats improve.

We are experiencing some very hot weather. 26degrees at 9am today - made my gym work out very hot and sweaty.
Made a toille for the bridesmaid dress yesterday. Never worked with a Marfy pattern before. I expected no instructions or seam allowance but not even a line drawing!.
Got to go and get more cheap fabric to make another bodice the back fits but the front needs way more room at the waist. I think the pattern has been drafted for an hour glass and the BM is a rectangle also very tall.

Grandbaby two weeks old now.
I have bought a Craftsy class to learn how to knit socks driven by the lovely coloured sock wool available

Lots to do pity I have to return to work tomorrow I have been on holidays since Xmas not much sewing but a bit of quilting play.
Skye

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 am

Yes, the second sleeve did go in quicker but was still bothersome. The jacket fit across the shoulders and around but I forgot to lengthen it. Abby has a very long torso. She still had fun wearing it and playing doctor.

Hope your temps cool down some for you. I'm not a hot weather person even though I live in an area that has hot and humid summers. I just wilt when temps reach much over 85F. Add a high humidity and I'm a puddle on the floor.

Oh, a grandbaby. Such joy. I've been knitting socks for several years, I'm self taught from on line tutorials. One of my grandsons wants new socks every year and he gets them. I would like to knit them using the magic loop so I can do both at the same time but I just haven't been able to wrap my brain around how to do it yet.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:35 am

Other than working on Christmas 2017 gifts which has involved a lot of hand sewing of lace pieces together, I have done some mending. A friend from church asked me to repair some workout pants for men ... torn crotch seams, elastic pulled loose from waistband and to repair a hole in the crotch of one pair. These belonged to her daughter's friend and all of them were spandex. My next mending project is to repair a tear in the back of a winter coat where the vent seam has opened up and to replace a button. The coat belongs to the salesman who sold me my new van. None of these repairs were too time consuming and it did give me a break from hand sewing. Hopefully by the end of the week, I'll be able to post some pics of the table linens edged in lace that I am making for family members. Maybe by Valentine's Day or shortly thereafter, some of them will receive their gifts. I'm keeping on persevering ...
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Looking forward to seeing the table linens you've been working on Marty. How are you feeling? Hope your numbers are at or close to normal for you.

I'm still working on baby items. I found a new pattern for a bandana style bib and it is cute and easy to make. Uses more fabric (and wastes) more than the more typical bib. I've been trying to find free patterns for gowns/sleepers on-line for preemies as the local hospitals are requesting more preemie items.

Hope everyone is avoiding the flu this year. Sounds like it is a bad strain. Glad we got our flu shots when we did. Now if Abby can avoid it I'll be happy as I generally catch everything she brings into our house.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Return to Current Sewing Projects