Halloween costume

What sewing projects are you working on?

Halloween costume

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm sewing Abby's costume again this year. She's going to be a clown. I'm using orange and purple polka dot fabric and a Halloween theme purple and orange fabric. I bought the smallest pattern I could find for her and it still took me over an hour to cut it down to fit her. I'm going to make a muslin because I'm not real sure of the fit. She and her Daddy are going to a local light house on Halloween with her day care. They are going to take a tour and have a party there.
She was cute last week. I had measured her the week before and last week she found my tape measure and came over to me and asked me to measure her again! I did it all over again and I forgot one area and she made sure I knew about it.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: Halloween costume

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:18 pm

How precious!!! I know that will be such a cute costume ... Wish you could post a pic of her in it.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:12 am

I sewed Abby's costume muslin yesterday and tried it on her today and it fits!! First time that something fits the first time. I'm sure the character of the pattern is the reason. Basically all I had to do is make sure the crotch, arm, leg lengths were right and I'm good to go.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Awesome!!! I started a sewing notions roll up bag yesterday at our ASG meeting. I'm not at the halfway point as I was teaching 2 young ladies how to sew and to use an embroidery machine. My friend cut out all of the pieces for me while I worked with the young ladies. I did get all 4 zippers for the pockets sewn. I just have to sew the clear plastic pockets to the lining fabric, the handles and the piping for the edge.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:44 am

Worked most of the day yesterday on the costume. Looking good. Did have to make a run to Joann's since I ran out of rick rack. Has anyone noticed that the current style of rick rack is different from a year ago? The new is much thicker and the points are more rounded plus you get just over 2 yards instead of the just over 3 yards of the old style. It is very noticeable but it is going to have to do as I'm not taking off what is on the 3 hems it is already on. I also decided I wanted a different fabric for the color. Joann's had some "glitterbug" fabric on sale (costume fabric) in an orange that matches what the main costume is. It is slick and shiny, something that Abby will love. I'm going to give her the choice of a 'normal' ruffled clown collar or a giant bow. This new fabric will look good in either.
Marty what does your notions bag look like? When I take my projects on the road it seems I've got my notions stuck in all sorts of small boxes and I'm looking all over for them.
Hope everyone is enjoying their sewing projects.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 am

Brockie, the sewing notions bag looks like one of those hang up toiletries bags with 4 large clear vinyl pockets and one pocket of lining fabric. It can fold up and fasten with a large button. My friend, Karen, made several and uses them to bring her sewing supplies to class. She puts seam rippers, nippers, and rotary cutter in one pocket. Then her fabric scissors, buttons, zippers and larger items like the buttonhole and hem gauge in another. Straight pins, hand and machine needles plus pin cushion in another. Then she also has a place for her tape measures and rulers in another. All of her supplies are right at her fingertips and easy to find. I'll post a pic when I finish mine.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Marty that bag sounds like something I could use. Had a meeting this morning and all my notions ( rotary cutter, scissors, marking pens) were just tossed into my tote bag and it was hassle to keep track of them. Did you have a pattern and if you did where did you get it? I really need something in my sewing room to hang my scissors, and cutters on so I can find them when I am doing a mass cut out of various items. I spend more time searching for them and then having to replace the fabric I disturbed to find them.

Abby's costume is done except for the elastic on the hat. I made a big floppy bow with the orange shiny fabric. I finally found some orange buttons large enough to put on the front instead of pom poms, and some smaller buttons to go onto the hat.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:38 pm

Brockie, there is no specific pattern. If you message me your postal mailing address, I'll send you the instructions that I have. The costume sounds adorable.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Return to Current Sewing Projects