The Merry Month of May 2017

What sewing projects are you working on?

The Merry Month of May 2017

New postby MartySews2 on Sun May 07, 2017 9:19 am

Hi Everyone,
Had so much fun at my serger classes at Sew Carefree in Jackson, TN this past week. Three full days of sitting and sewing plus making new friendships. Learned so many things that I can do by serger and there is still more to learn. I will be signing up for the Advanced class when it is offered. Had fun shopping, too. Next weekend, I'll be teaching at my ASG meeting some of the basics that I learned ... 2 thread flatlock stitches, how to gather on a serger to make ruffles, how to make crochet trim on a serger, and how to make spaghetti straps on a serger using the rolled hem. I think that this will be fun. There was a whole lot more but I'm just doing some of the basics. Hope that all are having fun sewing.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: The Merry Month of May 2017

New postby sewingrandma on Sun May 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Marty you are so fortunate to have places that offer classes that you have mentioned. I may live in a large populated area but there are very few places that offer classes. Even the Universities and Tech schools and adult ed programs don't offer anything. The ASG meetings that they have here have specific themes to their programs and the closest one to me is approx. 35 miles but their theme doesn't interest me. When Hancock's was open they would offer several different classes each year and I attended as many as I could but they were geared to fabric, pattern selection and fitting using the products of the company offering the class. The store where I bought my machines and serger has been closed for years but it did offer classes and of course back then I didn't have the time to take them. There are several different sewing machine shops locally but they only offer classes to previous customers using their brand machine. The shop that bought out the shop I bought my machines from doesn't carry Viking/White machines any longer and for as big as they have grown (many store fronts) they don't offer classes either, plus I have experienced very poor customer service from them (and I'm not the only one). I'm trying to encourage the ladies at NIN that sew to start up a group just to get together and sew and share tips and tricks.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Sun May 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Oh Brockie, I had to go over 100 miles away from home and pay for a hotel to be able to take the class that I did this past weekend. Of course, the class fee and meals were on top of those expenses not to mention shopping monies. Hubby had to drive me the 100 miles and one of my friends in the class drove me home. However, it was worth it to me. I'm sorry that your local ASG chapter doesn't offer anything that you are interested in. Have you contacted their president to ask about being notified of special classes? Our ASG chapter focuses on improving one's sewing skills with our monthly programs plus do some charitable sewing. Back in 2001, there was not an ASG chapter between St Louis, MO and Birmingham, AL. I was one of the charter members and was president of the chapter when we were certified on July 29, 2003. It's a lot of work and because we are a 501c (non-profit), we have to have quarterly board meetings and produce a quarterly newsletter. I am behind on the newsletters as I am currently president once again. It's not easy. I started a Sit & Sew at my church whereas once a month, a group of us meet at my church and sew together. It is open to the community and I give sewing lessons too. I've been doing Sit & Sew for over 9 years now. I wouldn't trade any of it though. Sewing helps to maintain my sanity.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Tue May 09, 2017 1:59 pm

My next project is making a top for myself out of a nice jersey knit. I'm going to use Kwik Sew #3915 as I like the neckline detail. I will use my master top pattern for the sizing as it fits perfectly. I will also check my fabric stash and see if I have enough fabric to make a coordinating pair of slacks in a solid navy blue. If not, I may have to order some fabric from Fabric Mart or Vogue Fabrics store in the Chicago, IL area. I'll post pics when the top is made.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Return to Current Sewing Projects