March 2017

What sewing projects are you working on?

March 2017

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Finally finished my 2 pairs of pants tonight. They are a black ponte fabric with a bit of lycra from Vogue Fabric Store in Chicago, IL area. The pattern is my pants pattern that was drafted using Judy Kessinger's Master Pant pattern. It's found on her website http:///www.fitnicesystem.com. I used only my Ovation serger to make these pants. They were easy to make.

2017 New Pants Back.JPG
2017 New Pants Back.JPG (111.72 KB) Viewed 3021 times

2017 New Pants Front.JPG
2017 New Pants Front.JPG (104.09 KB) Viewed 3020 times

Marty
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: March 2017

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:10 am

That is a nice fitting/looking pair of slacks Marty. Did you have to do a lot of fitting. I'm going to go check that website out as I have a hard time getting a good fit.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:04 am

Not much fitting at all, Brockie. I traced out my master pattern which I made following the directions given and then cut out the 2 pairs of pants. I left a generous amount at the waist but ended up taking 4 inches off of the waist. These were made on my Ovation serger which has coverstitch capabilities. I sewed the seams, hemmed them and then added in elastic at the waist. They are not tight and slide easily over my hips. The fabric is wonderful. I did spend $12.99yd for the fabric and took 1-1/2 yds to make them. I made 2 identical pair. My next pair of pants will have side seam pockets. With the master pattern, I just have to cut, stitch and go when I need a new pair of pants. I spent 3 weeks waiting for my elastic to arrive so I could finish them.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewhappyrtr on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Those look really nice.
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby Skye on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:24 am

Very nice pair pants. I am envious of the nice fit that you have got.
Skye

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks Skye, they wear easily and went thru the wash and dryer with no problems. Today, I'm finishing up 3 Easter dresses that I have made. I just have to add the buttons, the hooks & eyes on 2 of them and a snap on the 3rd dress. They're in the washer now and then have to be pressed. I'll take photos tomorrow of the dresses and post them. Then I'm cutting out 2 more dresses for a total of 5 this year. I'll try to get the final 2 done by April 9th, the deadline to have them done. I'm enjoying this project. I did have help in getting the dresses finished. I've forgotten how to sew in a zipper so my friend, Karen Mann, sewed in one zipper and my other friend, Shirley Moore sewed in the other zipper plus topstitched the neckline and sleeve openings. Karen also did a blind hem on 2 of the dresses plus added lace to one dress and my friend, Betty Ross, finished hand stitching the hem in the other dress. I would still be working on them if I didn't have help.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:06 am

Good job Marty on the dresses.

I spent the weekend cutting out bibs and burps to take to my meeting yesterday. I took my serger to the meeting and finished them. Came home and cut out tote bags as they had the fabric needed for them there. I'll finish them up and take them back next month.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Pics of the Easter dresses are in the Garment sewing topic. I'm working on cutting out 2 more dresses and hope to finish them by April 9th.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:52 pm

How're the Easter dresses coming along Marty.

I've been busy this week. Had 2 meetings that I went to. I've cut and sewn at least one self binding blankets every day since Monday. There is a you tube video that shows how to make them, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwdNqMZ8Ro. I've used pieces of cotton woven and flannel backed satin, and flannel. I've got all sorts of pieces of kid prints that I can match up with flannel. The group wants lighter weight blankets for the summer and I figure these blankets would be good. 2 layers of flannel would be too heavy but one of woven and one of flannel or even 2 of woven should make a nice weight for summer. I'd like to find some gauze with baby prints locally but so far no luck. The directions call for 2 pieces of fabric 30X30 and 40X40 but I have found that you can fudge on the measurements as long as the pieces are square.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Return to Current Sewing Projects