Dec 2016

What sewing projects are you working on?

Dec 2016

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:04 am

Yesterday, I started a new project of another stole. This one will be for Communion services. The embroideries consist of a cross, a dove with an olive branch, bread with wheat, and a goblet of wine. I got the pattern drafted, the white Duchess satin and the interfacing all cut out. Today, I will adhere the interfacing and do the embroideries. If all goes well, I'll have it ready by Saturday to give to my minister. The embroidery designs are from http://www.embroideryonline.com. They were on sale for $1 each ... not bad at all. Other designs from this website have been well digitized so I am expecting the same for these. Will post pics when done.

By the way, I'm not doing any sewing for Christmas this year.
Marty ;)

Edited to remove gibberish ...
Last edited by MartySews2 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Dec 2016

New postby Skye on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:21 am

You are a busy lady !

I will be sewing this weekend or should I say quilting. I am quilting a quilt that my DD has made for a Xmas gift. Trade off is that she does some of my Xmas baking :D

I haven't been sewing much since the earthquake here on the 14 Nov the building my office is in is closed - while it is structurally sound asbestos was exposed in one of the lift shafts so all 12 floors have been evacuated. We only got our computers out sonI have been working from home while our EA got our temp space set up. I am lucky DD, DIL and DH buildings are all the worse for wear and they won't be going back in to them.
Skye

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:12 am

Sorry for the earthquake damage, Skye. Am glad that your home is safe. It is hard to stay disciplined to work from home when you are used to going to the office. Hope the repairs don't take too long. Your company may decide everyone can work from home and it can cut costs. LOL!!! Would love to see pics of your quilt.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby Skye on Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:08 pm

I have spent most of the weekend quilting DD dinosaur quilt - it is a panel that she has added a couple of borders to.
We have just used polar fleece to back it so that it will be easy to launder.
I will post a photo once I get the binding on. Still festering on how to quilt the big dinosaur - might have to leave him plain.

We are in our temporary office but our internet connection is very slow - I work in a small office there is only 4 of us and I only work 3 days a week - love my job. Got myself a new grab'n'Go emergency kit and spare food so we are good to go for the next 3 months or so that we will be camping.
Have a good week - mine is crzily busy - working extra days.
Skye

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:23 am

Marty, the stole sounds lovely. Any pictures?
Skye, sorry about the damage but thankful that all are safe. I've been in several quakes but they were minimal, only damage was a crack in the plaster in one room. Hope things get back to more normal for you soon. Glad you are able to do some sewing. Doing something normal always makes recovery seem to go smoother. Did you decide how to quilt the dinosaur? Any pictures?
December has been a busy month for me, unfortunately no sewing this month. Have been doing lots of knitting in the evenings but that is all the handwork I've been doing.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:17 am

I'll post pics when done. I had a few interruptions this week so I didn't get to work on the stole. Maybe I can get it finished by Saturday to take it to my minister on Sunday. I did embroider several towels to give the ladies in my UMW circle a gift for Christmas. Most of them are in their 90's but they still drive themselves to church, go to the beauty shop together, and have luncheons. They inspire me so much. They have all been friends for more than 60 years. It's wonderful!!!
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby Skye on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Photo of the quilt that I quilted for my DD - she made it to give to a nephew who is mad about dinosaurs. I have also knitted a few dinosaues to go with it.https://www.flickr.com/photos/sewingskye/31337259990/in/dateposted-public/

Finally had time to put up Xmas decorations today and DD did some Xmas baking for me yesterday as pay back for me quilting the quilt - now what would I rather be doing quilting or baking when it is very hot :D so it was a winn win for me LOL
Skye

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:28 am

The quilt is adorable. Love the knit dinosaurs. You were very busy making all of those. Bet they will be well loved.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby Skye on Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Merry Christmas everyone.
Be safe travelling and have a good time with those you share Xmas with.

I have the next 3 weeks off work so hope to get a bit of sewing done.
Skye

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:33 am

Hope all had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year.
Spent Christmas in the mountains with 2 of our children and their families. It was a anxiety riddled trip. GPS unit got us lost several times, a wheel bearing went bad 10 miles from our destination and to top it all off no cell phone reception to call for help. We made it, DH was able to repair the car and we spent some wonderful time with the families.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Next

Return to Current Sewing Projects