October 2016

What sewing projects are you working on?

Re: October 2016

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 pm

Moving on from bridal alterations. Today, I shortened a Sleeping Beauty skirt by 3-1/2 inches which included 1 layer of satin and 2 layers of tulle. I did a quick rolled hem on all 3 layers. Took 30 minutes to finish. I finished a clerical stole for a minister friend. I'll post a pic soon. I also stitched together a leopard costume that had a rip in it. All of this took me around 2 hours to do. I just have 2 pairs of pants to hem and a zipper to replace and all of the alterations are done. I have orders for 3 more clerical stoles to do by Nov 18th. Busy, busy sewing times. After these stoles are done, I am sewing for myself until February. My wardrobe desperately needs updating. I'm not sending gifts to my family that I made. We had a professional portrait done so they will get an updated pic with DVDs of my daughter's sermons. I'm not stressing myself out this year.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Marty you certainly sound like you are keeping busy. I made 25 Christmas bibs last week and have another 25 cut out. Libby have you started the Christmas stockings yet?
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Here's a pic of the stole before it is washed and ironed. I hope that she loves it.

2016 Cynthia's New Stole.jpg
2016 Cynthia's New Stole.jpg (72.01 KB) Viewed 3046 times

Marty ;)
Last edited by MartySews2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:58 pm

44 stockings cut out so far.. Had to stop and make a baby care pkg. because I had run out of everything for a girl.. I am cutting a few everyday to keep my hand from getting too stiff..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 pm

That's great Libby.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:07 am

Sounds like you are well on your way making Christmas stockings Libby. I have to limit myself also when I am cutting out items. I belong to a smaller group now for NIN and everyone helps each other. On our work meetings we can bring what ever we are working on and mostly I take items to cut out and some of the other ladies who don't sew or knit will cut out items if I trace the item. It is working out great so far.
I've put together 9 tote bags over the last 2 days, most of them cut out by others, and started stitching the last batch of 25 Christmas bibs.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:48 am

Libby and Brockie, sounds like y'all are gearing up for the holidays. I have cut out another stole for our current minister. He wanted one for Advent in royal blue. So I ordered 3yds of 100% linen from http://www.Fabric-store.com. I have chosen 2 embroidery designs for this stole and will put 2 rows decorative stitching at the bottom. My interfacing which I ordered from Fashion Sewing Supply came today so I will get the interfacing cut out tomorrow afternoon when I'm at the church. My lovely cutting counter is being used for storage of my daughter's things. This weekend, I worked on alterations and clothing repairs. I shortened and hemmed 2 pairs of pants for my hubby as well as remade a dress into a top. The dress was one that I had made at a workshop but always felt that it was too short to wear anywhere and I wasn't happy with the sleeves being bracelet length and so wide at the wrist. So, I cut the skirt off of the sheath dress and hemmed it into a top. Then, I took out the sleeve hem. After that I took in the wrist part of the sleeve until it fit the way that I wanted. Then using my serger, I hemmed the sleeves to match the hem of the top. Here are the before and after pics of the transformation. I'm much happier with the top now. It gives me 2 long sleeve tops to wear for fall/winter. We are still having 85+ temps so it may be a while before I can wear it.

New Dress ... Judith Kessinger workshop.JPG
New Dress ... Judith Kessinger workshop.JPG (88.09 KB) Viewed 3001 times

An Improved Top Oct 2016.jpg
An Improved Top Oct 2016.jpg (55.8 KB) Viewed 3007 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:17 am

Marty, very nice job of restyling that dress. I does look so much nicer.
All the Christmas bibs have been completed and turned in and now I'm starting the shirts for my DB. I completed one yesterday. Another one is all cut out just waiting for me to start and I plan on cutting a few more out this week. They are easy to make taking me only about 90 mins. to put together.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:43 pm

That's wonderful, Brockie. Wish that you could post a pic of one. I'm halfway thru making another clerical stole for my minister.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Previous

Return to Current Sewing Projects