October 2016

What sewing projects are you working on?

October 2016

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:30 am

My project this week is to get 10 aprons embroidered by tomorrow. I finished 4 yesterday. The aprons are for a church wide fundraiser dinner on Saturday night. I created the logo "Praise the Spirit" on the first line with "UMM and UMW" on the 2nd line with the cross and flame (Methodist emblem) in the middle. Because of the thickness of the aprons' binding, it takes longer to get the apron bibs hooped than it does to stitch them out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: October 2016

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Finished all of the aprons on Friday night working until 2am to get them done. I do say that I think that they turned out great. The phrase was changed at the last minute so I had to rework all of the lettering to fit the new phrase.

2016 Aprons.jpg
2016 Aprons.jpg (92.85 KB) Viewed 3423 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:44 pm

The aprons turned out nicely!
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:43 am

A big mistake happened in altering a sheer lace dress jacket with sequins for one of my church members. She needed the shoulders shortened by an inch or so. I carefully took the right sleeve out around the sleeve cap and opened up the shoulder seam. I cut off the amount and sewed the shoulder back together and started to put the sleeve back in. It should have been a simple alteration. However, last Thursday, I spent 4 hours trying to put it back together and yesterday I spent another 3 hours on it. My church member is upset with me and I am upset with myself. I just brought it home with me, called a friend and we're going to meet on Wednesday to work on it together. It's a one of a kind dress that cost well over $100 and I just want to cry as the wedding is on Oct 22nd and this is her dress that she saved her funds to buy for her granddaughter's wedding. I believe it is the fabric that is the problem but now I'm questioning my sewing skills. Thanks for listening to my tale of woe.
Marty :(
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:52 am

Marty, I am praying tat the sleeve will will come together very easily when you get rested.
Lindy
sewingmom

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:15 pm

You may just have to step back and not even think of the jacket for a few days. It is amazing what rested eyes and a rested mine can see and do. I know many times I will wake in the middle of the night with ideas on how to do something. Good luck with the jacket, don't question your sewing skills as we all know they are up to the job at hand.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Marty , Not trying to upset you, but I draw stuff on paper when it puzzles me. . If you draw it , it seems the ateration made the armhole larger, and that is what it looks like to me.. This is my opinion, not tryong to be critical , just wanting to help..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:32 pm

Thank you, Libby!!! :) :) :) I had not even thought about that. I was just making the shoulder seam shorter to fit her shoulders. Now, I think that I can figure out how to fix it. I'm headed to bed now and will get up at 5am to finish the other dress before meeting my friend at 10am to work on the jacket. I will be glad to finish these alterations. It's funny because I am teaching a program on alterations on Saturday for my ASG chapter. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:12 am

All bridal alterations are done. When my friend, Debra, met with me, we laid everything out for the lace jacket. It seems that I made a major goof ... In trying to cut the shoulder seam shorter, I managed to cut away part of the front of the jacket. :oops: :oops: :oops: The jacket could not be saved as there was no fabric to replace it. I called my church member to let her know that I had ruined the jacket. I did reassure her that I would pay for another outfit to replace this one that I had ruined. I felt really bad all of this. :cry: She was frantic as she leaves on the 19th for the wedding out of town and suddenly has to come up with another outfit. So I told her that I would take her to David's Bridal and I was sure that they had something suitable in stock. She insisted that I was not going to pay for it but I knew that I would. I picked her up and we drove to the other side of the county (about an hour in traffic) to get to the store. I explained to the sales clerk what had happened and showed her the ruined jacket. Lo and behold, they had the exact dress in a slightly smaller size in stock at that store. We were elated and all that I can say is "God provides". The jacket of the new dress fit her perfectly. I bought the new dress and jacket and told her to keep the new jacket and I would keep the new dress and the ruined jacket. I get a new formal gown (not sure if I will ever need one) and she gets a perfectly fitted jacket to go with the dress that I had altered for her. It was a win-win situation. Because it was a major expense and my birthday is in about 2 weeks, I told hubby not to buy me anything for my birthday this year. However, that is okay as my church member will look beautiful at her granddaughter's wedding and she does not have to stress over trying to find a new dress at the last minute. This did teach me a lesson in alterations. When working with lace, use a marking pen (crayola washable markers are good) and baste in the new seam before cutting with scissors. The second dress went smoothly for the lady's mother of the bride dress where I raised the neckline up 2 inches. Now on to 3 more alterations that involve hems.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:12 am

Marty, I feel your pain and the relief. I guess that makes me thankful that a similar ministry at my church is probably not going to materialize for me due to the new direction Ronnie's illness has sent us.
Belinda(Lindy)
sewingmom

Next

Return to Current Sewing Projects