Sept 2016

What sewing projects are you working on?

Sept 2016

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:05 pm

National Sewing Month is here. For this month, I am embroidering and creating a clerical stole for a minister friend. My daughter has suggested that I start a business making clerical garments and accessories. I just may have to give that some thought as now I draft my own patterns and choose embroidery designs that I think will enhance the stoles. I was surprised by her suggestion.

I also am making some tops that I have cut out and ready to stitch together to go with some pants that I made last month. So what are you sewing for Sept?
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Sept 2016

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:25 pm

I have made 4 totes this week for the UMW school kits campaign they have going for the Sept. area gathering in Lake Junaluska. I made the totes and another member is filling them with the school supplies. We swap chores a lot like that in our circle and sometimes in our church UMW group as a whole. I have to stitch one applique on one of them because I ran out of Pellon Wonder Under and used a substitute piece I had been given and it just did not seal properly. So I have to stitch down one colerful fish on a kelly green denim tote as soon as I get off here because I have to give them to Sibyl tomorrow at church.. When I use Wonder under , I never have a problem.. I could kick myself for not getting the larger supply back out, and using something else because it was handy. Oh well, Live and learn.. LOL
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:08 pm

We cut out tote bags at our last meeting and I stitched together 9 of them this weekend, 4 of them were lined. I still have 4 more but these will take me longer as they are larger and I have to make my straps for them.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:49 pm

Brockie, It is funny how quick they go together when you have the strapping for the handles. I had to make two sets of handles from the fabric and it took me so much longer to finish those 2 totes.. My last length of straping was 4 inches too short. I cannot believe I have used all of that up. No more 50 % off notions at Hamricks any more. I really miss that store..Only one left is Hobby Lobby that is anywhere close to me. They don't have very drastic notions sales though..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:41 am

Libby, do you have a Joann's nearby? They will put a coupon in their flyers and in their emails for 60% off their notions every so often. Their notions aren't as extensive as Hancock's used to be but you can still get webbing cheaply. Also check out ebay for webbing and also strapworks.com. I've been known to buy belts in thrift stores and use them on my totes. I just make sure they are about 36" long. You'd be surprised how many have never been worn. I have a Hobby Lobby about an hour away from me but have found that it is difficult to use their standard 40% coupon. Anything that is marked down-but not on sale you can't use it and that is what they do with much of their fabrics, it is marked down but not on sale. Haven't figured that one out yet.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:58 pm

There is a Joanns here but it is clear on the other side of town and in a heavily traficed section of town. I hate to drive over that way, but I guess I will hve to sometimes. I usd to be on their mailing list, but they took me off when I reqested a teacher discount because of my Shepherds Center Classes that I instructed. . They did not count that as being a teacher, and all of a sudden I did not get any mail or e-mail from them anymore. They have only been in Charlotte for about 3 years.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:26 am

In preparing for a new embroidery project, I created the embroidery design and then did a test stitch out ... It took about an hour to create the design. After the stitch-out of my sample, I realized a couple of letters were off kilter. Here is the design before I made the corrections ...
Logo for UMM  UMW.JPG
Logo for UMM UMW.JPG (148.51 KB) Viewed 3471 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:00 pm

I like it.. Of course I am prejudiced being a UMW member and also Treasurer of our local unit. LOL. It looks great Marty.. I really like it..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks Libby, the design is going on aprons that will be used at a fundraiser dinner. We're hoping other churches within the district will want to purchase them. I did 5 test stitch outs today. I am keeping 3 of them to use on a clerical stole for a friend who is a minister. I'll post some pics for eye candy ...

Cross at Sunrise.JPG
Cross at Sunrise.JPG (148.58 KB) Viewed 3427 times

Butterfly.JPG
Butterfly.JPG (155.18 KB) Viewed 3427 times

Dogwood Flower.JPG
Dogwood Flower.JPG (122.94 KB) Viewed 3428 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Today at our ASG meeting, we had a class on Machine Applique. I have not done this technique before and didn't quite know what to expect. However, it was fun and I finished a simple applique project. Here is a pic of my work today ... Not bad for a first try.

First Machine Applique project Sept 2016.JPG
First Machine Applique project Sept 2016.JPG (143.66 KB) Viewed 3444 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

Next

Return to Current Sewing Projects