Aug 2016

What sewing projects are you working on?

Aug 2016

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Did a bit of sewing tonight ... Sarah had a new pair of pants bought to wear for a special program at the church where she works. The pants were 8 inches too long for her. They were spandex jeans with a bell bottom flare. I just measured off the 6 inches and cut the fabric. Then I did a 2 thread narrow coverstitch hem on them. It took about 30 minutes total. I have been sick recently and was on total bedrest. However, I got the clearance on Thursday to be up and about a little bit. I wish my family remembered that I'm supposed to take it easy and do light things ... not laundry, cooking, dishes, etc. :D :D :D
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Aug 2016

New postby sewingmom on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Marty, Just leave the laundry I you must to get enough rest. Drying one's underwear with the blow dryer or washing a bra and wearing it damp will inspire them to do some of their own laundry anyway ;0
Would you believe that Ronnie vacuumed the whole house Tuesday and he is most of the time keeping up with the dirty dishes.
Not tonight ;(.
Have a great weekend!
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:21 am

A nebulizer has been ordered so I'm out of bed and went to my Sit & Sew class yesterday ... It was 10am to 4pm ... a long day. This week I finished 2 projects and have a 3rd almost finished. I just have to finish the neckline and hem a preemie baby gown complete with lace, embroidery and tiny french seams. It's part of my Threads of Love sewing ministry. I figured out a way to fold tiny hems and seams ... use my fabric glue stick (or any washable glue stick like Elmer's). Just dab the glue along the edge of the fabric, fold it over and press. Holds those tiny double folded hems in place. I've used my glue sticks thru the years for various projects but never (until yesterday) thought to use them on tiny hems. What a Duh? moment that was. Also, this week, I created and embroidered a logo for shirts worn by our church's security team. I also created a logo for our United Methodist Men's group to use on aprons that they plan to sell to other groups. Here are the pics ...
Security Shirt Aug 2016.jpg
Security Shirt Aug 2016.jpg (55.26 KB) Viewed 2150 times

Aug 2016 UMM Logo.jpg
Aug 2016 UMM Logo.jpg (73.61 KB) Viewed 2149 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:37 am

Try not to over do things Marty, it sounds like you've been busy. Like your embroidery items. Sometimes I wish I was more savvy with technology so I could do some embroidery of my own. I still have a basic flip phone for a cell phone and still can't use all its functions! I can do easy searches, do emails and such on the computer but forget making folders, organizing folders, downloading photos etc etc.

Abby starts daycare tomorrow 3 days a week so I'll have time to sew. I'll miss having her every day but I'm worn out, she is so energetic and curious and wanting to do everything I do that I can't really get anything accomplished.
I'll be able to add some new tops to my closet since it has been at least 2 years since I have made anything for myself. I also need to make more shirts for my DB since the ones I made last year have been washed into unwearable items. Such is the state of institutional life. So wish I lived closer, I'm 6 states away, so I could do more for him.
Spent yesterday cutting out more blankets, bibs, burps and baby gowns all the while thinking what I wanted to make for me first. I purchased several tee and blouse patterns at Hancock's while they were closing.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:36 am

I have all but 3 of the security shirts embroidered. I will finish that up today. It takes about 30 minutes per shirt as the most time is in the hooping. Stitching takes about 15 minutes as there are 3 thread color changes. Because each letter is stitched individually, I have to babysit the machine. I'm glad to be able to serve and save some $$$ for our church in getting these done. I am basically self taught on doing machine embroidery and I didn't start doing any until 2002. I didn't even use machine embroidery software until 2006. There is a lot more to it but I just do what is easy for me with the basics. Another clerical stole for a minister friend is next up on my embroidery agenda and then I will embroider aprons for our United Methodist Men's group. I also have some clothes that I want to make for myself. Just some simple tops and pull on elastic pants. Nothing really fancy though.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:03 am

I cleaned my sewing room last weekend before I knew I was having Abby all week. Took me all day what with putting things away where they belonged then pulling all the furniture out and vacuuming under and behind everything. I also rearranged my tables I keep my machines on. Now all my tables line the walls so I have a big open space. It is a pleasure to walk by or into my room now.
I had some sleep sacks cut out so stitched them up this week and I found out I really like the way I have my machines set up. Before I had them set up on 3 sides of me and it seems like I never had enough room to move from machine to machine.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Return to Current Sewing Projects