July 2016

What sewing projects are you working on?

July 2016

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:38 am

Here it is the middle of July already ... Goodness, where has the time gone? On Friday night, I took a top and reduced the shoulder seams by an inch, raised the armhole, and added French darts on the front of the top. This gave it a new, polished look for one of my 80+ yr old church members. I also shortened 2 pairs of pants and hemmed them by hand plus hemmed a 3rd pair. When that was done, I took a skirt where the seam had frayed at the end of the invisible zipper and repaired it. The pants and skirts were for a lady who was a neighbor of another church member. Yesterday at my Sit & Sew class, I made 2 pillowcases with French seams and a preemie dress out of a soft yellow fabric. I still need to add some embroidery to the dress, finish the neckline and add lace to the sleeves. That is going to a little 2.5lb baby girl named Vivian at one of the local hospitals. A friend of Vivian's mother contacted me thru Threads of Love and asked me to make something for the baby. Next up is adding some embroidery to a clerical stole and finishing it. This has been a very productive sewing weekend ... What are you sewing?
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: July 2016

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:31 am

You've been busy Marty.
This weekend I sewed up 5 baby gowns with matching caps, 4 receiving blankets and cut out 5 more gowns with caps.

Also visited Hancock's for probably the last time before it closes for good. Today marks only 6 more days before closing. I found flannel had finally been marked down to where I would purchase it-$1.39/yd. Not much else left-BFF fabrics, laces, odds and ends of suiting, cottons and a few knits. Lots of patterns for $1.99 except for Vogue which are still $3.99. A few notions and junk they brought in for impulse buys.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:43 pm

Sewing today with a group of friends. I made 25 fleece wash cloths for a homeless shelter. My friend, Harriet (a member of this group) made a stack too but she took them home to finish them up. Using my Lauren serger, I used a 4 thread overlock stitch with a stitch length of 1 to give a satin stitch finish. No pics but I brought 11 home to work on and finished 2 of them tonight. Will snap a pic tomorrow. I'll be at my neighbor's house tomorrow waiting for workmen to come install central air/heat for her so can work on them then. She is giving me a new window unit a/c for my daughter's bedroom and donating 2 other window units to the homeless shelter. It is a privately run shelter with no Federal funding and they house about 50 men and women a night. With everyone taking showers, towels and washcloths sometimes go walking away. It is a great way to use fleece scraps and help the homeless in a meaningful way.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Marty, I was in the store the other day and they had reusable "wipes" for babies that were made from flannel and just serged around the edges. I always have a piece of flannel left over when I cut out a receiving blanket, burp, and bib so I decided to make the 'wipes' out of that piece to add to the kits I donate. It is a good size for wiping up urps, or even bathing the baby. The ones in the store were 8.5 inches square and that is about the amount of fabric I have left over.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Here is a pic of some of the washcloths that I did last night ...
Washcloths for Restoration House.jpg
Washcloths for Restoration House.jpg (43.48 KB) Viewed 1874 times

Marty ;)
MartySews2

Return to Current Sewing Projects