May 2016

What sewing projects are you working on?

May 2016

New postby sewingrandma on Sun May 15, 2016 5:54 pm

I finally was able to sit down and do some serious sewing this weekend. Yea! Was behind the sewing machine for 5 hours both days and accomplished a lot. Sewed 8 gowns, a tote bag, 2 t-shirts and some 'crinkle' toys. I even dug thru the stash to find what I was going to work on next. I really need new tops for me. I have the fabric and patterns just need to alter the patterns to fit me before I can get started sewing.
Not only did I do a lot of sewing I finished planting my vegetable garden. Can't do any of it with Abby running around outside now.
What is everyone else doing these days?
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: May 2016

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon May 16, 2016 1:54 pm

For the first time lately, I did some sewing last week. I made 8 scarves an 8 aprons for the reception at th church yesterday. We honor the teachers at the El. school in our neighborhood and the Mid. sch, also. Then we have refreshments after the service, and the coordinator askedfor door prizes, and I seized the chance to get rid of some fabrics. I am just not able to sew hours at the time like I used to do . years ago I made some aprons from fat quarters I had. Christmas ones. They wee so sucessful, I started making them every year and selling them for teacher gifts to the neighborhood kids. So easy to make I cut the shape , serge all edges, then sew pre-gathered lace aroun the circular part, (takes about 1 & 1/2 yds) and then gather the top a little bit onto a length of 1 inch grosgrain ribbon for a waistband and there you have a "fat quarter apron". The scarves came from a sack I keep in the sewing room and when I find a remnant of a suitable fabric for a scarf I buy it and stick it in the sack when I get it home. This has been done over about 20 years or more. Then every once in a while, I make scarves and give them as gifts for birthdays or Christmas. All I had to do for scarves is put long sides together and serge, then press with steam iron after turning them right side out. I let the selvedge be the ends, and did not hem thm unless there was wording on them. Only had 1 like that so I stitched the hem on the regular machine for that one. Now I have 5 summer gowns started and they will be finished in a couple of days. 3 for gifts and 2 for me.This from a gown I received from my Mom as a gift years ago, and copied the pattern. It is really easy.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Mon May 16, 2016 3:35 pm

Made 2 pairs of pants for myself after working on Easter dresses for an inner city school. Still need to sew the elastic in the waist and the pants are done. Have to make a clerical stole for our church's District Superintendent. Have to make some clothes for my daughter and work on pillowcases for the Ronald McDonald House. Have been tied up a lot lately taking hubby to and from medical appts plus keeping my own appts with my doctors. Did make it to Washington, DC for my daughter's graduation. She will be moving home by the first week of June. Have to make some aprons for our church's kitchen and have some alterations to finish for church members. Busy times!!!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Sun May 22, 2016 4:58 am

Shortened by 3-1/2 inches 4 pairs of pants for my next door neighbor and hemmed them. Have one more pair for her to finish and hem 2 pairs of pants for a church member. Not happy with my new Lauren serger. The upper looper thread kept breaking. I'll take it back to the shop next week when I'm in that area for a doctor's appt.
Tomorrow, I continue my hand quilting lessons.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Mon May 23, 2016 12:30 pm

Marty, my serger was breaking threads for a while recently and I discovered that the thread had looped around one of the guides near the tension disks and another time it had looped around one of the screws holding the guide behind the cover guard. Still sewing like a champ as long as I oil it regularly.

Made 4 baby gowns on Sat. at the meeting. Yesterday I cut out 6 receiving blanket/bib/burp sets and this afternoon while Abby napped I was able to pin together 10 'taggie' toys with a crinkle center to give it more interest to babies. Someone on line gave the hint to use cereal bags for the crinkle since they are safe to keep food in they should be safe for babies too.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby sewingrandma on Thu May 26, 2016 5:33 pm

I have been wanting a snap setter for plastic snaps for some time now and finally and bought one after doing lots of research. I settled on the KAM snap press (pliers) since all the reviews I read preferred it over the Babyville brand. I had been given a pack of babyville snaps and many of the reviews that were doing comparisons mentioned that KAM and Babyville snaps could not be used in the other press. Today I tried and I had no problems and I also found out that the snaps can be used interchangeably also. The plastic snaps are so much easier to use than the metal ones and not as bulky plus the big pro for plastic is they are soooo much cheaper to purchase. 50 plastic snaps cost much less than 14 basic metal ones. I may start making sleepers!
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri May 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Brockie, It is good to get reliable info like that. I have a new great neice so I might attempt some sleepers for her.. Thanks..I hate to have to buy 2 or 3 items to learn what is best..Specially since my Hancocks will be gone sometime in June..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Sun May 29, 2016 7:56 pm

I made 2 baby gowns today, one of them requiring snaps and it was so simple to line up accurately the different pairs on the front. I did find that the babyville snaps are more difficult to unsnap, I really struggle to unsnap them so I do prefer the KAM snaps. Also finished the edges of 6 blankets and burp cloths and put together 10 bibs. I used snaps instead of the Velcro so it really made for a quick job.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Mon May 30, 2016 12:05 am

In the past week, I have shortened and hemmed 10 pairs of pants by 3-1/2 inches. Each person had a different inseam length but needed 3-1/2 inches cut off of the bottom. All but 2 pair were done on my Ovation serger using the coverstitch option. The other 2 had a thick braid down the side of the pants which made it impossibly thick to use my serger to hem with a coverstitch. I did finish the hem edge on my serger using a 3 thread overlock but hemmed them by hand. They were uniform pants (3 pair) needed for a church member's granddaughter to wear to her new job as a security guard at a bank on Tuesday. My next door neighbor needed 5 pair shortened and hemmed. One church member needed 2 pair. Guess my hemming is getting a lot of "press". :lol: :lol: :lol:

When my daughter finally gets home (hubby is moving her), I'll have her take a pic of me in my new pants that I made for myself. Next up on the cutting board is a stole for our church's District Superintendent and 2 new tops for me. In the morning, I'll finish an alteration job of shortening the shoulders of a blouse by an inch and adding French darts to the front. That is for another church member. My hand quilting classes are going slow but I have finished almost 5 blocks from the 20 blocks in the piece.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Return to Current Sewing Projects