March 2016

What sewing projects are you working on?

March 2016

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:31 am

This is National Craft Month ... What are you crafting these days? My sewing is on hold this week as my daughter is here on her spring break. I'm spending my time with her and just reading about sewing. She had to meet with the church's District Committee on Ministry (DCOM) on her candidacy to become a minister. They grilled her for more than an hour and she passed this hurdle. The next one will be the Board Of Ordained Ministry (BOOM) which will occur at the end of May after she graduates with a Masters of Divinity degree. If approved, she can be ordained as a minister in the United Methodist Church. What does this have to do with sewing? I have to get busy and make her 2 clerical robes, an Alb, and 4 stoles in the colors of the liturgical seasons by the end of June. First I must finish the Easter dresses as they are due on the 13th of March. Happy Sewing!!!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: March 2016

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:36 am

Abby is almost 2 and is keeping me extremely busy. Typical 2 year old behavior so my sewing time has been cut drastically especially with me being tired from running after Abby all day. I knew I needed to make a tote bag so had to force myself to sit down and sew last night after Abby went home. Took me longer than normal but I didn't have to unsew any seams I put in which is a rarity when I force myself to sew. I also have some fleece to hem for a blanket for my DB and it needs to be in the mail early next week! I know once I get started it won't take me long but getting started has been a problem for me for a while now.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby momquilts on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:26 pm

One tee shirt quilt was delivered last week and the second one is pieced. I'm going shopping tomorrow for border/backing/binding fabric for this one. I have gotten requests from 2 other people for tee shirt quilts for graduation gifts. I have the 3rd one delivering her shirts to me by the end of March so I can get that going. I'm not sure when I'll start the 4th one. Geesh, I'm tired just typing about all of them.

I'm also trying to get an inventory of sewn goods ready for a Christmas craft fair in the fall. I've made 26 pillowcases in assorted Christmas fabrics and gotten my supplies together for the kitchen towels made with a pot holder. They take about 5 minutes each to finish. After that I have many of the kiddie bath towel ponchos to make. I would like to get this all done before school is out so I can spend as much time as possible with the DGSs this summer.
momquilts

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:34 am

Whew, Momquilts I got tired reading all that you have done and planned.
I did make another tote this week and have DBs blanket all done except for the label with his name and date on it. Today DH works all day so I have the day free to either do housework or sew!! I think I'll sew. :D
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby sewingrandma on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:56 am

DB blanket is done and ready to go to the P.O. today. DD asked me late last week if I could make blanket sets for a baby shower for her-for this Sat., she hadn't looked for fabric yet either! We didn't plan it but on Sat. we met at Hancock's then ended up at Joann's. DD was looking for flannel that had whales on it and was appropriate for a boy. We found plenty of whales but they were all for girls. Finally found some cotton that was appropriate and matching solid flannel so I made a self binding blanket and one with a panel and flannel back. I must say they turned out better than I thought. I started cutting when I got home on Sat. and sewed on Sun. after DH went to work and again Mon. evening after Abby went home and finished them yesterday. Whew. I don't like having to work with such a tight deadline. I was thinking giant rick rack (the kind you buy by the yard) for an edge on the panel blanket but it would have cost $15 so I opted for piping and after seeing the piping on the completed blanket I knew that it was the right choice. I also outlined stitched the figures on the panel so that the backing wouldn't pull away from the cotton panel. DD was very pleased with the results this morning when I gave them to her. She did promise that next time she wouldn't wait so long and would try to stay with strictly flannel for the blankets.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:49 am

The blanket sounds wonderful Brockie. I'm still muddling my way thru the Easter dresses. They are due on Sunday morning. I did have to stop working on them to hem pants for hubby and take care of some chores. I did not sew last week while my daughter was home. I just read about sewing. My hand quilting is coming along very slowly. I haven't even finished one side of one block. I just can't seem to get the hang of it with small stitches about 1/4 inch from the seam allowance. I spend as much time ripping out as I do quilting. However, I am determined to learn this technique. I still need to practice more on my smocking too. Where does the time go?
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:57 pm

Marty, the way my Grandmother and her friends did it was to mark with chalk, (blackboard kind) in the pattern they were using, and then quilt on those lines in a square usually about 18 inch squares. one hand holding the needle and the other hand underneath to guide the needle back thru the fabric to the top and they would go up and down for 5 or 6 stitches at the time, then pull the thread taut again.They used a rainbow arch for a pattern a lot. making the rows about one inch apart and making about 20 to 24 inch long arcs about 6 rows high. I hope this makes sense. I always just watched, they said i was too little to reach to the middle so I had to wait til I grew more. Unfortunately she Passed before I grew enough. I have her Fan quilt she made for me in 194? . I was very young. She passed away in 1947.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:00 pm

Libby, it's holding the very short needle and rolling the fabric as I go in and out is the problem that I am having. I keep wanting to do running stitches. I will keep practicing on this fabric. I did an okay job on the piecing but the quilting stitch has me stumped. Pat, my dear friend who is patiently teaching me, keeps encouraging me. She said that as time goes on, I will get better. By the way, tomorrow, I'm getting the Lauren Babylock serger for a class machine. I've been saving for it and hubby said tonight that he would pay the $50 difference in what I have saved. I will be happy to have a serger for classes. Babylocks are the best machines.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Marty, I wouldn't be able to hand quilting as I can't hold a needle for very long as I can't feel it between my fingers. All my hand sewing I have to watch what I'm doing very carefully so I don't drop the needle.
I've been sewing up a storm today. DH is at work so I played. Made a few burp/bib sets and 5 gowns. I'm tired now but a good tired.
I've been trying to figure out how I could make a bib on my serger or mostly on my serger and I found a tutorial on Baby Lock site. I used my pattern and adapted the 'ties' like on the site. Now I can stitch on my machine around the neckline and the end of the ties and serge the outer edge. Looks good too and I can use all sorts of decorative thread if I want.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Return to Current Sewing Projects