Happy 2016 Jan Projects

What sewing projects are you working on?

Happy 2016 Jan Projects

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:55 am

One of the things that I MUST do this year is to pare down my sewing supplies and be more organized as my daughter will be moving back home at the end of May. I will no longer be able to stash boxes and bins in her bedroom or keep them all over the living room. I also must clean out the attic to make room for my sewing supplies to be stored there. A lot has to occur between now and the end of May. Therefore, I am making up kits from my stash. I am matching patterns to the fabric, adding in the thread, and notions in 2 gallon zip lock bags. My Threads of Love supplies are in a bin of their own. With kits, it is my goal to pick up a kit and go sew without wasting sewing time searching for supplies. Hopefully, I will be more productive this year as I need several new key pieces in my wardrobe. So what are your plans for sewing in 2016?
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Happy 2016 Jan Projects

New postby sewingmom on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:57 pm

I truly hope to make some scrub tops from stash. I am aiming for a business making holiday specific scrub tops to sell at the hospital where I work. I hope to build a faithful clientele before I retire 3 years from now. I hope to be productive like Libby as I journey through my 70's. Thanks for being an inspiration Libby.
All of you are an inspiration, sewing for charity and for soldiers and funeral clothes and quilting. I am anxious to see many projects posted in the next year. I wish you all a productive and Happy New Year.
Belinda/Lindy
sewingmom

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:52 pm

I don't envy you Marty having to pare down your sewing supplies or having to store them in the attic. I find out of sight is out of mind. I do like your idea of making up kits so you don't have to hunt down supplies to sew when you are in the mood to sew.
Belinda, I used to make all my scrubs when I was nursing. I wish I still had all my patterns because I would have gladly sent them to you. If I remember correctly I liked the Butterick pattern best for the scrub neckline, much easier to insert than the other companies.
I've cut out several dozen bibs and burp cloths for this months donation. I'm aiming for 30 of each. With Abby not napping as much it is hard to find time to sew during daylight hours. This month is our 'sweatshop' meeting lasting most of the day so I can take my serger and make up a bunch of burps if I have them all cut. Generally when I cut out bibs and burps I have them all pinned together ready to sew. I took advantage of a Michael's 50% off coupon and bought a huge box of straight pins a couple of years ago. Much cheaper than Joann's or Hancock's. I did have to stick them thru my emery for pins to clean up the points and make them slippery but now I can't tell the difference between them and my old reliable ones. Once I have items cut and pinned I put them in a big tote so all I have to do is grab a handful at a time and sit and sew.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby Skye on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:52 pm

Got my sewing mojo back :D
Clicky finger ordered the skirt pattern released this month from Style Arc patterns. I have apiece of striped ponte that I am willing to sacrifice to try the pattern out.
Discovered Lelaka patterns yesterday.You put in your height, full bust, under bust, waist, hip and full hip measurements and the pattern is emailed as a PDF.
I had 15 pages to tape together then I traced off the pattern so that it would be easy to store. Instructions a minimal (not for a beginner) though the top I bought is a very easy sew.
I will post a photo of my trial top I am really pleased with the fit even though it is closer fitting than I usually like, I did lengthen the pattern.
DH cancelled his golf game today so probably no sewing for me as he will want some company.
Skye

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Skye, glad you got your sewing mojo back. I haven't felt like sewing lately but I'm making myself. I figure I can't mess up too badly if I'm just serging 2 layers together. Have you been able to sew using the Lelaka pattern yet? I've not heard of them but they sound interesting.
I serged 12 burp cloths today. I'm getting closer to my goal of 30 of each-bibs and burps.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby sewingrandma on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:46 am

No sewing today but I did go thru all my bins, boxes, and cupboard and sorted and refolded my stash. Of all my totes that I had I have one that is empty and the box I had all my fleece in is gone because I moved it to a larger tote on wheels (emptied that one out so I could) since I took advantage of sales before Christmas. Even my closest got clean out and my yarn sorted and yes some is going out of the house. I don't have any pieces of fabric stashed on top of any totes and none stashed in between. I still need to clean off my cutting table and ironing board but that will have to wait til Abby takes a nap. DH was up early today so he kept an eye on her while I was busy. My room is looking so much better. I'm hoping that I'll feel like doing some more sewing once I recover from all the hauling around of totes and fabric. While going thru everything I found pieces of fabric that will look cute for little girl dresses and little boy woven pants and matching vest. Just need to start cutting out so I can get to them. All the fabric that I decided to get rid of is going to charity-one pile going to NIN and the other to a women's shelter. Since DH is working again (part time tax preparer) I'm going to try to go thru closets and drawers thruout the house. He thinks he has to save everything he brings into the house. Not me, if I don't have a use for it it goes.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby sewingmom on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Brockie, Could you post a photo of the burp cloths you make or a link to a how to do it plan. We have so many babies born to young couples, in our church, that I would like to have something simple to keep sewn up for gifts.
Belinda/Lindy
sewingmom

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:24 am

I haven't figured out how to do the photos yet but I can tell you how I do the burp cloths. I cut 2 pieces of flannel 9x18 inches rounding the corners, put them wrong sides together and serge the edges together. This seems to be the favorite size and shape but 8 inches also works well. Some of the ladies making the burps will back the flannel with terry, PUL, and even a cotton woven. Some will stitch right sides together and stitch and turn then top stitch.
There are free patterns on line that are easy also. These are shaped so that there is a curve on one side or both and I used to make these before Abby was born but I found out that they were sorely lacking in coverage where you really needed it and switched to the above size and shape and I and DD were much happier. NIN even got feed back stating that the rectangle shape was preferred.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:07 pm

FYI... I make mine the same way .. And the same measurements. I also serge and round the corners. Makes quick work and when I put them in my "Care Package " for a new baby, I mark them as burp cloths for DAD.(LOL) I figure that part of the note will give the new Mom a smile or maybe even a laugh..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Happy 2016 Jan Projects

New postby momquilts on Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:40 am

Well we've survived the Blizzard of 2016! The snow has stopped and the wind has died down. I have no idea how much snow we got except it's taller than the dog, so I had to shovel a 'potty spot' for her. The electricity and cable never went out so that was great. Now to the real excitement!!

I FINALLY finished quilting my DD's double wedding ring quilt that I started in January 2012! I decided to trim off the outside scallops of the rings and make a straight edged binding. When I went searching for the binding fabric, I found that it had already been cut and all I had to do was press it. Yippee! The binding was applied yesterday afternoon and I am going to finish it today if it kills me!!! Luckily DH is at work, there are football games on all afternoon, and I plan to sit in my comfy chair and get this project DONE!!! :dance: :applause: :dance:
momquilts

Next

Return to Current Sewing Projects