June 2018

What sewing projects are you working on?

June 2018

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:04 pm

I've been making tops for myself. First one is going to the thrift store as it doesn't fit. I have discovered lots of changes since I last made myself clothes. I had to do several alterations to the pattern, one was a rounded back which has caused the points of my shoulders to shift forward so that means the shoulders need to be altered and the sleeve head moved forward also. Getting older (I refuse to say old :o ) sure does some terrible things to the body! Guess I shouldn't have taken so long to make myself something then maybe all these changes wouldn't have been so noticeable to me.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: June 2018

New postby Skye on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Lol sewing sure tracked the change of things. I have high round back full bust biceps and sway back. Some pattern brands I need to do narrow shoulder as well.
I mainly use my sure fit sloper and use that as a starting point for my woven garments.

I have spent a the weekend making Jalie City coat In a stretch black denim I am pleased withe the result just got to sew on the buttons and snaps.

The cat has bought in two small mice today Argh...! Thank goodness for our Cairn terrier girl coming to my rescue catching the poor wee mite as they made a dash for freedom from the cat.
Skye

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:16 am

Goodness, fitting is a challenge at any age, Brockie. I have read that one's body changes about every 3 months. Rounded forward shoulders, extra large biceps, small bust, sway back are all some of the adjustments that I have to consider. Therefore, I just draft a new pattern using Judith Kessinger's Master Top pattern following her directions. I usually get a fairly good fit doing that. It was worth the investment to not be so fiddly when drafting a pattern.

Skye, your coat sounds lovely I do hope you will post a pic of it for all of us to see.

May sewing was mostly pillows for the homeless. I have started an outfit for myself but haven't finished cutting it out. On Saturday, June 9th, I'm teaching a serger class on making a top so maybe I can get one sewn at that time. I hope so. I have some tops cut out already and some pants so I need to get busy plus I want to make some infant preemie clothing. Life keeps getting in my way.
Just keep on sewing!!!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:12 am

My top fits the way I like!! The rounded back and shoulders/sleeves fit the way they should instead of pulling back and or being too tight. Now I can get busy and make more from this pattern so I can update my wardrobe.

Skye I once had a cat that left a dead mouse on my bed. :o It was not a pretty sight.

Marty have fun sewing the preemie clothes when you get to them. I've had so much fun with them and they stitch up so quick. Here is the site I use http://warmheartswarmbabies.org/sewing- ... e-patterns They have quite a few but I mainly use the boys shortall, girls romper and crossover dress. I think it is the site that has a t-shirt and shorts also.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Return to Current Sewing Projects