Project Runway Season 9: Episode 5

Discuss Project Runway, the TV show about sewing, fashion, and design.

Project Runway Season 9: Episode 5

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Video here

So, what did you think?

First of all, I thought the race to start it all off was extremely biased against the women, especially since it was a sprint. They should have taken the top 2 men and top 2 women, or adjusted the finish times (although that would have been less dramatic).

Team challenges are always full of drama, aren't they? I was sad to see Cecilia give up -- for some reason I kind of liked her, even though her attitude was horrible. I wanted to see her pull herself out of it. I have to say I don't envy them being in this situation. I think they are really pushing the limits of what people can handle as far as stress and sleep deprivation.

I thought the drama was pretty ridiculous. Anthony Ryan and Bert were quite a pair -- I'm not a big fan of Bert's attitude, but I did find it funny when Anthony Ryan was trash talking him on the runway and it turned out Bert's outfit was so obviously the only workable garment from the 3 and the only one the judges liked.

I couldn't quite understand what the judges liked about Bryce's dress -- I thought it was boxy and unflattering.

I'm still not really connecting with any particular designer at this point.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: Project Runway Season 9: Episode 5

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:47 am

I totally agree with all you have posted!! I just don't have much of a desire to watch Project Runway now... none of the designers impress me a whole lot... And I guess I am tired of all the drama that seems to be created when they only get 8 hrs or less to create something.. :doh: :doh: and so on and on and on and on!!! ;) ;)
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby lendube on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:37 am

I didn't like Cecilia from the start. She was just a whiner. I totally agreed with the comment one of the guys made; he couldn't believe that she'd just quit after making it ALL the way to this point. They've worked very long and very hard to get where they are! Guess she thought she was strong enough to do it. I guess I do feel sorry for her.

The race was unfair. I would have been right there with Bert, no doubt! And age aside, what about wonky knees? Bad backs, etc. I imagine they had to sign disclaimers for insurance purposes.

I'm disappointed in Bert's attitude. I liked him at first. He just hates interacting with these "youngsters" who have talent too. Get over it, Bert! That's the industry now. I did like his outfit best. The way that Becky was treated was awful. She was labor. She deserved more than that.

I'm with you guys. I'll still watch it but I've got no connection to any of them. Only negative feelings really.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Mule on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:53 pm

I thought I posted about this, but I guess not. Probably forgot to hit "submit".... :roll:

I think one of the reasons they do the team challenges is for the drama -- that's what sells. Most of the people I know that watch this show don't even sew! IMHO, that's why certain contestants from past seasons were kept around long after they should have been sent packing.

It seems like the contestants' physical fitness level was a bigger factor than gender -- if anything, the race was biased against those that are a little overweight or out of shape!

Although I can see how Bert would be hard to work with, and was a complete PITA in the last team challenge, Anthony Ryan didn't even give him a chance. He was left out of the design and fabric selection processes. So it's pretty funny that in the end, Anthony Ryan had the worst looking garment out of everyone. I've never even sewed anything that looked like that! He's really lucky he didn't go home. I noticed there was some debate over that -- I guess they need to determine how much consideration should be given for a contestant's previous work in addition to the current garment. That's a tough question because it's a bummer to see a talented contestant go home over one screw up, but it seems a little unfair to send someone home when their garment clearly wasn't the worst....
Beth
Mule

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:27 am

Mule wrote:It seems like the contestants' physical fitness level was a bigger factor than gender -- if anything, the race was biased against those that are a little overweight or out of shape!

I disagree. I think that Joshua is probably a runner, but otherwise I don't think there is any indication that the other 3 guys were in better shape than the women. Danielle was really booking it, for example! Think of any running event you've ever seen -- the Olympics, high school track and field/cross-country, charity races. Awards are always given by gender. It's not sexist, it's just physiology. The playing field is more level for longer distances, such as marathons, though. Women even seem to have an advantage in distances longer than a marathon (but obviously you have to train for that!).

lendube wrote:I'm disappointed in Bert's attitude. I liked him at first. He just hates interacting with these "youngsters" who have talent too. Get over it, Bert! That's the industry now. I did like his outfit best. The way that Becky was treated was awful. She was labor. She deserved more than that.

I agree about Bert and Becky. Although I do think both parties were at fault in Bert's case, but I have yet to see Bert make any effort to relate to people. It must be lonely for him. I really like Becky, and I was really shocked that Joshua would be so cruel. He was sort of catty before this episode, but also funny and entertaining in that respect. This time he was just plain mean. I think Becky has yet to come into her own on the show..I hope she will wow us next week!

So far even though I'm not a fan of anyone in particular, I feel like Anya could be a contender. I found it interesting when she said she hadn't sewn jersey before -- I was beginning to wonder if she was really telling the truth about just having learned to sew 4 months ago, but it makes sense that knits may not have been part of her crash course in sewing.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Joshua is at the top of my S--- List.. If I were there, he would have his mouth washed out with soap for his meanness ! ! They need to have teams of 2 only.. My DM always said "when you have 3 trying for a project, there will always be a 2 against 1 factor there, and no cooperation among all 3". If mom created a team , it was either 2 or 4. She said with 4 at least you would have 2 against 2, which would be a little more even, than 2 against 1.I was not craxzy about the dress that won, but it was OK. Personally , I liked Bert's the best of all.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Project Runway