Season 9; Episode 3

Discuss Project Runway, the TV show about sewing, fashion, and design.

Season 9; Episode 3

New postby lendube on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:42 am

What a completely over the top idea to put models (and Heidi) on stilts! I thought it was rather stupid honestly. I was surprised that some of the models could walk very gracefully while most looked clumsy and awful. As far as the clothing; I liked the winning dress, the red one. Very nice. That one the judges liked with the horrible hair :shock: was ugly IMO. I don't know why they liked it. The tailored pants and jacket (?) was very nice too. I love, loved that the girl with the headpiece was so appreciated by M. Kors in particular. She had a very hard time and seems like a sweet girl. I'm glad she got some great feedback on what she did contribute. As for her partner's comment that not going to fashion school dooms her automatically --- well that's just B.S. The fact that she didn't seem to understand the concept of working with the grain of the fabric seemed odd though. A lot of drama this time. :roll:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Season 9; Episode 3

New postby sewingmom on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:49 am

Is there some way to watch it online. My DSL light is still a little slow but I'd love to see the outfits created.
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Just go to mylifetime.com & you can watch the episodes.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Thank You Marty, I'll check t out later. Life is happening for a few days.
sewingmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:31 pm

I liked the winning design.. I thought they did a fantastic job.. I bet next week is gonna be a doozie.. I would absolutely go bonkers if I had to sew for Nina. She always adds a zinger to any compliment she gives..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Video for episode 3

If you go to http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/video, that should bring you to the most recent video. If you go to the home page, you might see the final designs which can sometimes spoil things... :shock:

I don't know why, but this season none of the designers are really jumping out at me. It seemed that the problem for Fallene was not that she didn't go to school for fashion design, but rather that she just didn't have much experience. Anyone with much experience would know the difference between straight grain and cross grain, although they might not know the terminology if they were self taught. If she made the clothes she was wearing, it is somewhat obvious that she isn't very proficient. During the first day of this episode, she wore a dress or top with a decorative collar detail that seemed very badly constructed -- asymmetrical and wonky.

My favorite this episode was the green suit -- Star Trek collar detail and all! The red dress was also stunning.

I liked shape and fit of the teal and tan ensemble, but I thought the colors were ugly and the hair was just awful. I don't understand why they didn't just take it down. They couldn't have made it any worse. Even a giant frizzball would have been better. I'm not sure what Michael Kors was complaining about with the shoulders -- I quite liked the design of the back of the top, and I'm not sure how you could add shoulders to it as is..

I thought Oliver and Anya really fell short -- they were lucky to be "safe"!
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Alexalter on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:42 pm

I felt really bad for Fallene. She just seemed out of her element. I was yelling at her to just suck it up and do what she could. Just because the corset that she was trying to do failed, did not mean she had to quit. Loved her hat.
Love the red dress. But Anthony was warned to be orginial and not copy things that have already been out there and worn by stars.
Like alot the green pants and tops. It really worked well with their model.
So didn't get Oliver and Anya's outfit. and I have to say that Olivers outfit last week was NOT my favorite. I really thought that the judges were passing the bottle around before claiming he was the winner.
Fallen's partner was just rude. He kept telling everyone that "she cut it off grain". Well, maybe he should of helped her out alittle more then complain. I really don't like him or his attitude.
I am with Kaitlinnegan, and no one is jumping out at me as being outstanding out. Not like past years. This may be a year that it will come down to the las episodes to figure who really has some talent.
Alexalter

New postby Mule on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:34 pm

I finally had time to watch this last night. I liked the red dress too, although I don't know exactly what they meant by Anthony not being original. Did some star wear something like that recently -- I don't get out much! :lol: I actually liked the green pants and jacket the best though. I think the thing that impressed the judges so much about the teal and tan outfit was that it's difficult to sew with chiffon, and they did such a nice job with the sewing. I actually liked the pants, but wasn't as crazy about the top. And yes, the hair was awful!!

I think Fallene's partner was rude and insensitive, BUT, you have to keep in mind the pressure of the competition. It's even more stressful working with a partner because things aren't completely in your control. He was extra stressed because he barely missed being sent home the week before, and then found himself paired with a partner that couldn't even sew a bodice. I could see how he might not be as sensitive as he should be in that situation. I don't think she was incompetent because she was self-trained as opposed to attending school, but I think it's crazy that she didn't understand the concept of grain/cross grain. That's such a basic concept! I even understand that, and I'm not all that experienced.
Beth
Mule

Return to Project Runway