Season 8 Finale

Discuss Project Runway, the TV show about sewing, fashion, and design.

Season 8 Finale

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:14 pm

It makes me SICK :sick: :sick: :sick: that Gretchen was declared the winner. She is a bully & her clothes are the most hideous that I have ever seen in watching Project Runway for 8 seasons. I have never disliked any designer as much as I dislike her. I cannot picture any woman in their right mind wearing those pieces. None of it was attractive or flattering. It was cheap discount store clothes with no shape or taste. The fabric was the UGLIEST that I have ever seen. EEEWWW!!! Mondo deserved the win. I am so disappointed in the judges decisions especially Nina Garcia & Michael Kors defending her. Sorry for the rant but this really upset me as I didn't think that Gretchen belonged in the Final 3. In my opinion, she is NOT a good designer & is certainly NOT a nice person. It makes me wonder about who really makes the final decisions. I hope that she fades into oblivion. Mondo is 100 times the designer that she is & should have been declared the winner. I think that I will go puke now.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Season 8 Finale

New postby sewhappyrtr on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:00 am

Oh, I agree with you!! I couldn't believe they gave it to her!! Talk about crack smoking judges!! :D
Mondo's clothes were so much better and more "fashion" "runway" style then hers. The judges contradicted themselves so much by giving it to her. Remember they told Michael C his clothes were too much the same color , well what the heck were hers? and Andys?? :doh: :doh: :doh:
I believe I am done watching this show...
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby lendube on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Boy, you two are out for blood. I LOVED last night's show. I loved that they brought everyone together and some harsh though honest opinions were given. What a group.

I thought Mondo should have won. Did you notice his very professional stage appearance? He was very self possesed and calm which was rather a sharp contrast to his "losing it" backstage beforehand. His clothes were lovely.

Andy's and Gretchen's were too much of the same thing, colors and styles. I liked Andy's better than Gretchen's. I found it strange that she would win. Recall, anyone?
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:31 pm

I do wish Mondo had won - I was definitely rooting for him. I thought Gretchen's collection was lacking the "wow" factor, but it really wasn't that bad. Seeing it all together as a collection, it grew on me. I could see why the judges liked it (or, at least half of the judges!). I thought Mondo's collection was much more fun, but Gretchen's was subdued, casual, and I do think it would have broader appeal.

There were plenty of things I didn't like about Gretchen's collection - all those boy shorts for example! They weren't even flattering on the models. But I rather liked the colors she chose - I guess I have a soft spot for earth tones. The brown prints were sort of boring, though.

What can I say about Mondo? I really enjoy his work, and I really felt like he came out of his shell through the course of the season. I think that polka dotted dress might have done him in as far as Michael and Nina were concerned. I didn't notice that Mondo had another top made of the same fabric until Michael mentioned it. What might have happened if he had chosen the black dress instead?

How disappointing was Andy's collection? I wanted the warrior woman! I think he got too hung up on the textiles from Laos, and ended up running out of time. I really thought he would do some crazy architectural thing! Only the green pleated dress and the grey top with the weaving detail had a little glimmer of Andy in them, I thought.

What did you guys think of Jessica Simpson as a guest judge? I thought she was a terrible choice when I first heard it, but I thought she actually had some good things to say and came across as pretty down to earth.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby lendube on Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:36 am

Yeah, Jessica Simpson. I wonder how low on the list she was. She seemed nice but when you think of the high profile judges they've had in the past............ I guess they're all busy during Fashion Week though. I was surprised to see her there. I was surprised they had an even number of judges. I was surprised at the ugliness of Jessica's dress. (A bad choice especially for sloping shoulders.) I was mostly surprised that Gretchen won and you're right, Kaitlin, Andy is so much more capable. He's shown such talent and creativity during the show that just seemed to be missing. Wasn't worth waiting for those fabrics.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:57 am

Well, I was very satisfied with Gretchen as the winner. I thought she compiled a good collection. I also did not like the short shorts, but the collection overall , I thought was very well done. Mondo is soooo young and his clothes have a market but the very young don't always have the money for designer clothes. I was just disappointed in Andy's collection. I did so want him to win, but I don't think he deserved to. Well , Give the devil her due, I guess. Gretchen is still way too witchy personally, but I think she deserved the win.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:15 am

Sorry if I came on so strong about Project Runway but it is a show that I'm very passionate about. My 22yr old DD thought all of the clothes were horrible & cannot imagine anyone her age wanting to wear of them. Neither can I. Those boy shorts were disgusting. I could not see any style or details in them. To me, there was not one wearable piece in the entire collection. Some earth tone colors are nice but those clothes looked like "poop". I would have chosen Michael C's collection over Gretchen's any day of the week. Nina's comment that her clothes could be worn by a variety of ages was laughable as I thought "not in this lifetime". I study fashion on a regular basis & try to keep up on the current trends (not in my wardrobe) but those clothes looked old & faded without any type of style other than loose & ill fitted. She is not a good designer in my opionion & did not deserve the win. As far as Jessica Simpson as a judge, I had to wonder about that too. I do know that she has her own line of clothing so maybe that was why she was chosen. Even she did not like Gretchen's collection but was convinced to say something nice once the choice had been made. I know that there are others off camera who are judges too & I think they are the ones who truly influence the show. I do keep up with a variety of designers who were past winners & contestants. All seem to have done well for themselves. Jay Carroll, one of the first winners, has moved to NYC & has done well. Just check out some of their blogs or FB pages. I noticed in Michael Kors recent collection that he had some of the designs from some of the past contestants as he hired them for his clothing line. I know that there have been over 10,000 people who feel the way that I do.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Project Runway