Stash Challenge 2012 Unleashed

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

Stash Challenge 2012 Unleashed

New postby Pudge99 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:20 pm

fabric-flowchart.jpg
fabric-flowchart.jpg (22.34 KB) Viewed 5966 times
The challenge will run Thursday, November 1, 2012 through Monday, December 31, 2012. Get ready to ring in the New Year with a lighter stash and a slew of finished projects!

This is an opportunity for everyone to have fun sewing and engage in a little friendly competition to see who can sew up the most fabric from their stash. Just like last year - yardage entries must be accompanied by photos of the completed projects! The photos will be a great way to motivate and inspire your fellow participants.

What is stash? Stash is your "collection" of fabric that you might have accumulated for one reason or another. Maybe you planned out a project but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. Or maybe you've bought fabric because you liked it but had no particular purpose in mind. Perhaps you have "inherited" fabric from friends or family members. One way or another, it seems to be easy for sewers to accumulate a fabric stash, large or small. The purpose of this contest is to motivate you to get sewing and put some of that fabric to good use!

The person with the highest yardage will get a special image that will be displayed under their avatar and username to the right of their posts.

Rules

For the purposes of this contest, stash is considered to be fabric that was in your possession before the start of the contest, Thursday, November 1, 2012. Any fabrics that came from your stash and are used to complete a project can be counted toward your yardage. If you need new fabric or lining to finish a project, that's totally ok, just only count the portion of the fabric that came from your stash. Interfacings, batting, ribbons and notions from stash do not count toward your total.

Projects that count toward your yardage must be finished and ready to serve their intended purpose. For garments, they should be hemmed, buttoned, etc. Garments for the purposes of fitting are ok and do not need to be hemmed, lined, etc, as long as they have served that purpose. Quilts should be batted, backed, bound, and quilted (or whatever is necessary for the project to be "finished").

Reconstructed garments from old clothing (yours, or thrifted) will be allowed, as long you have significantly changed the piece. For example, hemming a pair of pants does not qualify, but remaking a men's sweater into a women's cardigan would count. All entered yardage should involve a significant amount of sewing. Sorry, no-sew projects are not allowed.

Unfinished projects also count toward your yardage, provided they were started before Thursday, November 1, 2012.

How do you figure out your yardage? If you used a pattern, you can just use the number of yards on the back of the envelope. Or you can actually measure the linear yards of fabric that you cut into. If you're doing quilting or crafts that use small pieces, just give your best guess based on the size of the finished project. For simplicity (since there will probably be a lot of guessing involved!), round your yardage to the nearest .25 yard (1/4). Round up if you are over the 1/8 yard mark, round down if you are below 1/8 yard.

PHOTOS! In order for your yardage to count, you must post a photo of each item you make. If you are making something in quantity -- for example, 100 duffel bags -- you need not post a picture of each item individually. You could post a close-up shot of one bag, then another image of the stack of 100. If you are not very savvy with posting pictures on the internet ask one of your SWU friends who seem to know what they are doing to help you out.

You are responsible for recording your own yardage here on Google Docs
Yardage Keeper
Please record your measurement in 2 decimal places ie: 1/4 yd = .25
DON'T FORGET TO SAVE!!!
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

Re: Stash Challenge 2012 Unleashed

New postby bridesmom on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:42 pm

This will be fun! You will all get a good head start on me as I won't be sewing til after mid November . Good luck and happy sewing all!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Pudge99 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 pm

So am I gonna be the first to post yardage??? I had to work all day but I have a few UFO's that are getting finished tonight.
I have issued myself a side challenge, I must post something every night. I doubt I will succeed but it would be awesome if I did.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby Mom of Six on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Reconstructed garments from old clothing (yours, or thrifted) will be allowed, as long you have significantly changed the piece. For example, hemming a pair of pants does not qualify, but remaking a men's sweater into a women's cardigan would count. All entered yardage should involve a significant amount of sewing. Sorry, no-sew projects are not allowed.

I guess I will be able to post some yardage today! I finished an apron made from a man's shirt. 2 more ready to stitch Now I have to figure out how much yardage it is :think:
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby Pudge99 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm not quite done sewing mine yet. You'll probably get your figuring done first.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby Mom of Six on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Pudge99 wrote:I'm not quite done sewing mine yet. You'll probably get your figuring done first.

Time for bed I will figure it in the morning
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby Pudge99 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Well I was hoping to post yardage tonight but my eyelids are getting droopy. I did finish assembling everything I was working on I just have to add velcro tomorrow to call them done.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby Mom of Six on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:12 am

I posted yardage! I made 3 aprons from men's shirts. They have been cut out for a few months but I just got them sewn last night.I will post pictures when I get it uploaded
Here are the aprons I made I estimated .75 yd for each, they are 29" long and about 25" wide plus the collar, pockets & ties
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Kim is coming over to try the wedding dress on tomorrow. If it fits all I have left to do is hem it & tack the sash on. I will start on the little girl dresses tomorrow
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby momquilts on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:46 pm

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd35 ... 033121.jpg

This used 0.25/yd and is really red even though it looks orange-ish in the photo. Made this for a new co-worker to carry her ID in during school on a sports team purchased lanyard.
momquilts

Next

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges