2012 Learn Something New Challenge

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

2012 Learn Something New Challenge

New postby bridesmom on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Ok people, this is a challenge I am throwing out there. Is there something you've wanted to try and learn but haven't tackled it yet :?: :idea: Did you get knitting needles for Christmas and you can't knit :?: Do you want to use a crochet hook for crocheting and not for it's other uses :?: Are you itching to make a felted wool bag :?: Do you want to learn how to rethread your serger :doh: :?: How about tackling those 25 years of photos :brick: :?: Or is there a new sewing technique you want to learn :?: Free Motion quilting :?: Take great photos :?: Put in an invisible zipper with your eyes closed :lol: :?: Clean out your closet :?: Reorganize your sewing room :?:

Come on, I know you wanna. :angel: :whistle: What's the thing you want to learn to do? What do you want to accomplish? :shh: :?: :?:

Pictures aren't necessary, ( but we like em and we want to see, enquiring minds just want to know) and there is no prize :o , just the prize of knowing you did it, and you had a great team of cheerleaders encouraging you through to the finish! :dance: :applause: :dance:

I'm attempting to put together 3 scrapbooks, one for DS, one for DD and one for me of my parents pictures. I'll take a picture of my dining room tomorrow so you can see the mess I'm in.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Re: 2012 Learn Something New Challenge

New postby vickki on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:35 pm

I want to learn how to use the new embroidery machine I purchased last summer...........such a waste of money just sitting on the sewing table...
vickki

New postby Bama on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:10 pm

I want to learn to knit socks. I've talked about it for 3 years, but never seem to get to it. :anxious:
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby momquilts on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:50 am

I want to find someone to give the knitting needles to so I don't get adicted to yet another costly hobby. Quilting is enough for me at this point. I do have a travel case on wheels (the size of a sewing machine case) full of scrapbooking supplies that I would love to get started with. A year ago when DD moved out, it was the plan to clean out her old room and make a craft room......she moved back in November and brought more stuff to add to what was already in there so no craft room.
momquilts

New postby SmilieFace on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:24 am

I want to get reaquainted with the embroidery feature of my sewing machine, and learn to use the PED Lite I bought as well.

The challenge will be not forgetting how to use my serger in the process!
SmilieFace

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:47 am

I want to learn how to incorporate some sewing into my busy schedule. I've talked about a seam a day before, but have never been able to stick with it. A seam a week might be more reasonable these days, sadly. Or at least hemming those pants I bought 2 months ago.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby HeyJudee on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:30 am

I want to actually learn to do some new quilting techiques that I keep seeing on video or read about in my quilting books and magazines. And how to fit that in and get some of my current UFOs done. Now that is my challenge!
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby sewingmom on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:50 pm

I want to sew some dressey dresses that fit me and some pants too. (MOG dress especially)
sewingmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:16 pm

I bought a book a couple of years ago on Needle Tatting and also the needle and a spool of variegated thread to practice with and never learned how. Maybe I caqn get that done this year. LOL.. I tried tatting with a shuttle and do NOT like that.. This new book has instr for lefties also and that is why I bought it. I just kept getting balled up with that shuttle when I tried that way.. (No lefty instr.)
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby lendube on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Momquilts, knitting is (usually is) far cheaper than sewing. You can get a lot of fine yarns at very reasonable prices. It's portable too. There are tons and tons of patterns online so you don't have to buy those either. If you decide to start we're here to help. I far prefer knitting over crochet. Crochet is fun but I like the knitting finished products better.

Kaitlin, there will be time, trust me. You won't always be as busy as you are now. But then, let's see, when that happens you may decide to start a family?
Maybe it does never end.... :D But that's not necessarily a bad thing. :D

My "learn something new" is what sewingmom is saying. I even said it last year and perhaps the year before. I want to be able to make clothing that fits well. You'd think I have a horribly grotesque figure with as much trouble as I have!!! I will persevere!! :eh:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Next

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges