Stash Challenge 2011

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

Re: Stash Challenge 2011

New postby pinecone on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:03 pm

temom wrote:I finally finished the pj pants for a friend. She had requested a draw string rather than elastic, for those pesky times when medicine causes her to swell up. I made the drawstring out of flannel, and the finished width is 1 inch. I made the button holes slightly smaller. Hopefully this will work for her. I have material for a 2nd pair for her, if I can get to it.

I usually center the draw string and stitch it to the pants in the center, back seam. That way it won't pull out when washed. Those look so comfortable!!

Everone has done an amazing job in 2011. Kudos to everyone!! :applause: :applause: :celebrate:

piney
pinecone

New postby temom on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:26 pm

Laura, you were right about the thread tension! Silly me, I didn't think to look. Both needle tensions were turned way down. Probably from vibrating so much.
I finished the last 12 ice pack holders, and the 2nd pair of pj pants for my friend.
Believe it or not, I caught up to Barb and we are tied! Wahoo!

I have now made 61 ice pack holders! Wowser! I did not finish my rice packs, and I have nothing left of sewing ability. It is past my bedtime, and I need to find my rice pack for my aching neck!

Pinecone, I will take your advice on my next pair of pjs. I actually thought of it, then wondered if it was a good idea or not. Apparently it was :)
Attachments
PJ pair 2 for friend December 31 2011.jpg
PJ pair 2 for friend December 31 2011.jpg (22.73 KB) Viewed 3786 times
Last 12 ice pack holders December 31 2011.jpg
Last 12 ice pack holders December 31 2011.jpg (38.26 KB) Viewed 3788 times
Theresa
temom

New postby bridesmom on Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:10 pm

What a smart idea for the drawstring! I do that lots of times on the elastic at the side seams for the kids, but never even thought of that for drawstrings, how simple and how smart!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:36 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: Congtratulations Laura on winning this/last years stash challenge! :applause: :applause:
Hey Theresa We Tied!

I think I will try to set up a chart like that to keep track of my sewing during the whole year. It would be interesting to see how much fabric I use in 1 year. Maybe 2 columns 1 for stash & 1 for new.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby lendube on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Congratulations, Laura! Barb and Theresa didn't do too shabbily either. Can't believe I came in a very distant 3rd - HA! I only had 19 yds. But that's 19 gone from my stash. I do believe I bought at least that new though in the meantime. :roll:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:22 pm

Congrats, Laura!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

lendube wrote:I only had 19 yds. But that's 19 gone from my stash. I do believe I bought at least that new though in the meantime. :roll:

Lennie, that happens to me a lot. More fabric seems to come in than goes out or gets used up. :(
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby temom on Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Mom of Six wrote::applause: :applause: :applause: Congtratulations Laura on winning this/last years stash challenge! :applause: :applause:
Hey Theresa We Tied!

I think I will try to set up a chart like that to keep track of my sewing during the whole year. It would be interesting to see how much fabric I use in 1 year. Maybe 2 columns 1 for stash & 1 for new.

Barb, I was thinking exactly the same thing!

I think anyone who sewed anything from their stash should be commended! Too many sewers buy, buy, buy, but don't follow their ideas through. This really motivates us to see it through! We start out with such great ideas and intentions, then we allow other things in our lives to sidetrack us.
Theresa
temom

New postby sewingmom on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:01 pm

So much great sewing and I enjoyed the contest even though I didn't sew up a whole lot of stuff. I was motivated to finish a ufo or two and to work on a pants sloper tho I have created some new UFO'se and if I ever feel well enough I will finish them up. I did not record my yardage but probably used 10 yards and did not buy any more if my recollection is correct.
You ladies are such an encouragement to me.
sewingmom

New postby Magot on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:58 am

Well done all! Even my paltry 3.75 m is some gone - and no -I haven't bought more! It always motivates me to get some sewing done when we have a stash challenge - during it I also knitted a jumper, a hat, 3 pairs of mittens and a baby cardigan!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby HeyJudee on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Magot wrote:- during it I also knitted a jumper, a hat, 3 pairs of mittens and a baby cardigan!

Jan...you, Laura and Lori should start a knitting challenge... ;) I think I would take bets on the winner. :D
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges