Stash Challenge 2007 Rules

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

Stash Challenge 2007 Rules

New postby Pudge99 on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:37 am

Ok everyone pile up that stash, dig out those patterns, and oil those machines. We are ready to start our annual STASH CHALLENGE!!!

The Rules
Sew up as much yardage from your stash (fabric that is sitting around your house) as you can between October 1st (12:01am CST) and December 31st (12:00 midnight CST).
The Challenge ends when I ring in the New Year. On the last day, I will post a how many hours post so that you know when it ends in you time zone.
You can join us at anytime during the challenge (actually the first stash challenge I entered, I entered late and WON!!!)
Just start posting and when I do the tally I will add you to it.
Please post in yardage (not meters) and only in ¼ yard increments (my old brain takes forever to do the conversions).
If you complete an item and use less than a ¼ yard then please hold off on posting it until you have more or....
Rounding to the closest ¼ yard is OK. 1/8th and over round up less than 1/8 round down.
UFO’s will count. For clothing items use the yardage on the back of the pattern. For quilts you can measure the finished size and guesstimate how much you used.
The UFO must be finished for it to count. For you quilters that means batted, backed, and bound. For the sewers this means hemmed, buttoned, zippered, basically ready to walk out the door on your or somebody else’s body.
If you need to purchase fabric to finish a UFO, that is fine, but you can only count the fabric from your stash not the newly purchased.
Batting, interfacing, stabilizer and pillow fluff do not count as yardage.
The guesstimate measuring above also works for those little bits and pieces for scrap quilts.

When you post your yardage please follow these guidelines (makes it much easier for me to keep the tally).
I will start a new Topic titled Stash Challenge Yardage.
Please go to that topic and click on Post Reply.
In the subject line it will say “Re: Stash Challenge Yardage” delete this and post the total yardage amount for this post (not your running total) here.
Then go to the body and describe your hows and whats. We like to know how long it as been in your stash and if you are making what you originally intended.
You can post links to your own photo site in the body also. Last year some of you might remember me posting pics to my own photo site for everyone but I just don’t have the time to do that this year. Sorry.
I will be joining in the posting but obviously I can't win my own contest. Might look a little funny :eh:

I will be putting together sewing gift basket/s for the winner/s. If you would like to contribute (gift card, money, or items) please PM me and I will send you my mailing address.

If I missed any important rules somebody please speak up.
Last edited by kaitlinnegan on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Clarifying what stash is.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

Re: Stash Challenge 2007 Rules

New postby Pudge99 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:24 pm

So is everyone ready to start? Clear on the rules? As excited as I am? I probably won't unlock the Yardage Post until tomorrow around 8 am CST but you can start sewing before that.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby bridesmom on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:21 am

Gina, does interlining count on a jacket that is also lined??

Does webbing, lace trim count? Sorry to be asking, but this is my first time!! :dance:
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Pudge99 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:40 am

Is interlining fabric or some type of batting or interfacing?

All the trimmings are just that, trimmings they don't count in your yardage total but we would love to here the whys and whats about them.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby bridesmom on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:00 pm

Interlining is flannel, also using a batting, but that I don't count - right?? Just wondering about the flannel interlining, as this is a tweed that stretches so the flannel is to keep it in place and give it some body.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby Pudge99 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:52 pm

Flannel counts. Batting does not.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby bridesmom on Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:30 pm

Yes Ma'am. I'll remember that! This is really fun!
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby my2girlies on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:44 am

Hmm - I think maybe I will try this, too. Does everything have to come from stash. For instance what if I need buttons, zippers, etc to complete something and go and buy them - can you still count the material? Thanks!
my2girlies

New postby Pudge99 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:51 am

The only thing we are counting is stash fabric. If your buttons come from your stash GREAT! If they don't, well you are still using up the fabric which is our ultimate goal.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges