2010 Stash Challenge Yardage and Discussion

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

Re: 6.0 yard - Quilt

New postby temom on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:46 pm

My quilt is finished! DD and I each finished them Christmas Eve. The pattern is "Yellow Brick Road" and I took a quilting class about 15 miles north of me. This was so much fun! I have a ton of "design elements", but I don't really care. I do need to learn how to put a binding on properly, as this one was a huge mess.

Oh, I'm very, very happy, as this is the first time I've been able to upload a photo. The quality isn't so hot as I took it with my brand spankin' new ipod touch, and emailed it to myself...
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (35.22 KB) Viewed 2029 times
Theresa
temom

Re: 2010 Stash Challenge Yardage and Discussion

New postby momquilts on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Nice job on the quilt and the picture! I forgot that I can take pictures with my iPod. Bindings, IMHO, are the worst part of the quilt. I am putting one on right now, that's why I'm on the computer. I get bored with bindings. :(
momquilts

New postby bridesmom on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Great job Theresa! I am learning to not mind doing the bindings, it's taken a bit of a learning curve, and I find I have to handsew them down once I machine sew the front on, but it does look nicer than a machine stitch finish IMO. Do you do a double fold binding or a single fold?
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Magot on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:07 am

How do you take pictures with an ipod which has no camera?
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

3.75 quilt

New postby momquilts on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:37 am

My iPod has a camera in it, which I've never used and have no idea how to use. :oops:

I finished one of the quilts for the twins last night. I was sewing the binding (double fold) when I took a break and read the post about bindings. I sew the binding on the front and fold it over to hand sew on the back. I really didn't think I'd get it finished last night but the local team was playing football on TV and I stayed up to watch them lose and got the binding done as a result. DH was mad about the game and at me for telling him to stop yelling at them so he wouldn't cooperate and thus no picture yet. I will post a picture and yardage later this morning.

OK, so it's later than I thought. Good reason too, but I'll post about that tomorrow. All I can say right now is DH is no longer mad and he is the BEST!!! We went shopping today and I'll post a picture of our purchase tomorrow after we get it.

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd35 ... ts/075.jpg

This is the picture of the quilt I finished last night.
Last edited by momquilts on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momquilts

New postby sewingmom on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:45 am

Theresa, I am impressed with your "first " quilt. Good job. I may be persuaded to take a class again.
sewingmom

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:12 am

Great job on the quilt! If the quilt is special then I sew the binding on the front and hand sew down on the back. But when I put bindings on the quilts for Victoria Quilts Canada, I always sew them on by machine. I used to machine sew the binding to the front, fold over and sew along the fold on the front to catch the binding on the back. But since I've seen a binding tutoria from Pat Sloan, I now sew the binding on to the back and fold over to the front and machine stitch with a blanket stitch on the front. But to use her method, your machine needs to be able to reverse the blanket stitch. If the quilt is made for a baby or kids I usually sew on by machine as it's more durable.

One other tip I'd like to mention is to press your binding after it has been sewn on. I watched a video by Sharon Schambers...a prize winning quilter...and she mentioned pressing the binding after it has been sewn on. I've done that and it makes it easier to fold over to sew on.

Here is the link to Pat Sloan's machine binding tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PatSloan#p/a/u/2/WCmJXBiqKX8
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby lendube on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:29 am

Another one bites the dust! :anxious: Nah, great job!!

I'll be doing two self-binding (or whatever you call it) jobs today. A lady bought a top, a bottom, some batting, and asked me to put them together. :lol:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby bridesmom on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:22 pm

The quilt is adorable! I really like it.
Judy, do you pin your binding down before machine stitching it on the front side? I seem to have a terrible time keeping my foot in the right place, and falling off the binding. I do a 2 1/4" double fold with a 3/8" seam. I had thought about steam a seaming it down before stitching, it just seems like so much extra work. I do press the binding once it's sewn on to the quilt though.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:13 pm

bridesmom wrote:Judy, do you pin your binding down before machine stitching it on the front side? .

No I don't pin. But I cut approx. 2 3/8' binding and do a double fold binding. I use my walking foot and usually move my needle over to the right side and test that the seam I"m sewing will fold over the right amount on the front side. I use a stilleto...actually a "Purple Thang"...to help fold and hold the binding over as I'm sewing. And I usually move the needle to the right so that the binding will be under the right edge of the walking foot as I'm sewing. And I reverse the blanket stitch so that it is going to the left.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges