2009 Stash Challenge Yardage and Discussion

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

2009 Stash Challenge Yardage and Discussion

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:57 am

So, you've checked out the rules and are ready to play? You can begin tomorrow (Nov. 1)! Here's what to do:

If you want to just talk about your plans and progress, simply reply to this thread.

If you want to post yardage, reply to this thread and replace the subject line (Re: 2009 Stash Challenge...) with your yardage, rounded to the nearest 1/4 yard. Include a description of your project and at least one photo. If you prefer, you can post pictures and a description in the appropriate "Completed Projects" forum and post a link to that post here.

If you are listing yardage for both garments and other items, please list the yardage separately - for example:
Garment: X yards, Other: Y yards
(X and Y being the individual yardage for each item or set of items)

If you want to be considered for the "Oldest stash piece used" category, please share how old the fabric was. It would also be fun if you shared the fabric's original intended purpose, if you can remember. ;)

I'll tally both the overall yardage and garment yardage periodically and post it here.

So, let's get sewing! :D
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: 2009 Stash Challenge Yardage and Discussion

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 am

So, what is everyone planning to sew to start things off?

I've been working on a top from Vogue 2989, but still have some work left to do, so I guess my first entry will be finishing a UFO. If I'm lucky, I might even finish it today. After that, I plan to make the sweater from the same pattern, and perhaps another version of the top.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby lendube on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:41 am

First off I have to finish up some "have to" sewing for others but I do have some plans. Regrettably nothing with acres of fabric though. More than anything I'm hoping to gain motivation from this challenge.

I do have a few things lined up. I have a skirt to make dd from a skirt that she loves. Poor girl. It's a summer skirt and the original's been sitting here for 3 months. :roll:

I have some knit fabric for a dress for me. Got the pattern too. Maybe for the holidays??

For holiday gifts I'm planning on making (here's the "lots of work using very little fabric" part) dog collars and leashes for all the dogs we know and love and cat collars for the kitties. I ordered all the hardware (or plasticware rather) and should be receiving it this week. Looking forward to making some cool animal accoutrements.

I have 4 (?) yds of a green and white plaid that I like but haven't a clue what to do with.

I have yards of flannel for a rag quilt but I'm not sure for whom to make it. Probably just make it anyway to have on hand.

I have 4 yds of black and white sewing notion fabric that I love. I was going to make curtains for the sewing room way back when but then the room got too busy for blinds and curtains so the fabric just sits and I don't have a clue what to do with it. (We're also planning on breaking down the wall between master bedroom and sewing room so there will be big changes here again hopefully sometime this winter/spring. I'll need to blend the two rooms decoratively. I really do like the idea because of the layout we have.)

Then there's just the yards and yards of misc. fabrics, some large pieces, some small. Hmmmm. Got some figuring out to do. :think: :think: :think:
Should be able to start and finish dd's skirt later this week and have my first whole yard for the challenge! :roll: Too bad I made 5 apron/bibs for my mom last week. :doh: :doh: Would have had a nice headstart but she needed them then so that's okay.

Nice pattern, Kaitlin. Anxious to see how it turns out for you.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby temom on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:31 pm

I'm using this challenge as a motivational tool. I still have way, way too much fabric. I bought a lot of it when I first started sewing 3+years ago, and didn't know that the fabric regularly went on sale and clearance (although there hasn't been anything good on clearance for a while).

I'll probably start with a summer top for dd that has been cut out forever. Then maybe a pair of pants for dd. Who knows where I'll go from there.
Theresa
temom

New postby Magot on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:27 pm

My INTENTION is to make a bow tie (practice from stash) tomorrow and hopefully later a cummerbund. I also have a top to make for myself that has been lurking in embryo (that is in my mind) since the summer. I would also like to make a new Christmas table runner. Plans 'eh? I am hoping this makes me get to it! I have he bow tie fabric and pattern sorted for a touch of sewing tomorrow night - I was out with the Town Pastors last night so need an early night tonight!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby sewingmom on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:13 pm

Kaitlinn, Woulld my sloper for PMB (Wild Ginger) sheath dress count as a completed garment? I would like to make the sheath dress sloper as a sloper before I try a coat.
I think I am going to catch up on promised garments (3) a bit at a time but every 3rd sewing project will be personal for myself.
sewingmom

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Sure, sewingmom - as I said in the rules, fitting garments/muslins do count as long as they are completed and serve their purpose. The only thing that wouldn't count is if you then cut apart the fabric and used it for something else - the fabric only counts once, of course. :)
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:22 pm

I think I will go in & cut out some casserole covers for my craft show. I still have some can coolies to add velcro to but I feel guilty adding those to my yardage because they are almost done. Then DGDS' want princess dresses to add to their dress up box & maybe some bride dresses with veils. I think that will be their Christmas gift. I need to make my niece a top like I made DD before Thansgiving when they come up to visit again. & I could really use some new 3/4 length sleeve tops fopr work. Now I have too many ideas & don't know where to start!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby sewingmom on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:32 pm

:oops: Guess I should read the rules before I ask questions. Thanks for the prompt answere.
sewingmom

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:59 pm

I guess I need to go help DH rake leaves before I sew. He asked the kids but they seem to be too busy. Maybe they will do dishes Instead. LOL!!!!!!!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

Next

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges