2009 Stash Challenge Rules

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

2009 Stash Challenge Rules

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:13 am

It is time again for the Stash Challenge! :dance:

The challenge will run Sunday, November 1, 2009 through Thursday, December 31, 2009. Get ready to ring in the New Year with a lighter stash and a slew of finished projects!

This is an opportunity for everyone to have fun sewing and engage in a little friendly competition to see who can sew up the most fabric from their stash. This year, I am adding a new twist - yardage entries must be accompanied by photos of the completed projects! The photos will be a great way to motivate and inspire your fellow participants.

What is stash? Stash is your "collection" of fabric that you might have accumulated for one reason or another. Maybe you planned out a project but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. Or maybe you've bought fabric because you liked it but had no particular purpose in mind. Perhaps you have "inherited" fabric from friends or family members. One way or another, it seems to be easy for sewists to accumulate a fabric stash, large or small. The purpose of this contest is to motivate you to get sewing and put some of that fabric to good use!

Winners

There will be 4 winners of this year's challenge, one in each of the following categories:

• Top overall yardage
  • Top garment yardage
  • Most inspiring - determined by SWU member vote at the end of the contest
  • Oldest stash piece used
Each winner will get a special image that will be displayed under their avatar and username to the right of their posts.

Rules

1. For the purposes of this contest, stash is considered to be fabric that was in your possession before the start of the contest, Sunday, November 1, 2009. Any fabrics that came from your stash and are used to complete a project can be counted toward your yardage. If you need new fabric or lining to finish a project, that's totally ok, just only count the portion of the fabric that came from your stash. Interfacings, batting, and notions from stash do not count toward your total.
  2. Projects that count toward your yardage must be finished and ready to serve their intended purpose. For garments, they should be hemmed, buttoned, etc. Garments for the purposes of fitting are ok and do not need to be hemmed, lined, etc, as long as they have served that purpose. Quilts should be batted, backed, bound, and quilted (or whatever is necessary for the project to be "finished").
  3. Reconstructed garments from old clothing (yours, or thrifted) will be allowed, as long you have significantly changed the piece. For example, hemming a pair of pants does not qualify, but remaking a men's sweater into a women's cardigan would count. All entered yardage should involve a significant amount of sewing. Sorry, no-sew projects are not allowed.
  4. Unfinished projects also count toward your yardage, provided they were started before November 1.
  5. How do you figure out your yardage? If you used a pattern, you can just use the number of yards on the back of the envelope. Or you can actually measure the linear yards of fabric that you cut into. If you're doing quilting or crafts that use small pieces, just give your best guess based on the size of the finished project. For simplicity (since there will probably be a lot of guessing involved!), round your yardage to the nearest 1/4 yard. Round up if you are over the 1/8 yard mark, round down if you are below 1/8 yard.
  6. The new twist for this year - photos! In order for your yardage to count, you must post a photo of each item you make. If you are making something in quantity -- for example, 100 duffel bags -- you need not post a picture of each item individually. You could post a close-up shot of one bag, then another image of the stack of 100.
Any questions?

Ready to get started? Post your plans, progress, and yardage here: 2009 Stash Challenge Discussion and Yardage
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: 2009 Stash Challenge Rules

New postby esrun3 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:24 pm

If we are making a quilt are we counting the batting or is it strictly fabric?
Lyn
esrun3

New postby kaitlinnegan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:33 pm

Lyn - only the fabric will count.

kaitlinnegan wrote:1. For the purposes of this contest, stash is considered to be fabric that was in your possession before the start of the contest, Sunday, November 1, 2009. Any fabrics that came from your stash and are used to complete a project can be counted toward your yardage. If you need new fabric or lining to finish a project, that's totally ok, just only count the portion of the fabric that came from your stash. Interfacings, batting, and notions from stash do not count toward your total.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:40 pm

1 more clarification.
When I make my casserole covers I sometimes use stash fleece instead of batting. does that fleece count?
Sorry Kaitlin but I want to be clear before I count yardage.
I cut out quite a bit last night. Hope to get in to sew soon.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby kaitlinnegan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Mom of Six wrote:When I make my casserole covers I sometimes use stash fleece instead of batting. does that fleece count?

Fleece is fabric, so it counts. :D Any fabric that you sew from your stash counts.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks Kaitlinn! That's what I thought but I wanted to be clear.
I got 2 sewn tonight but have to wait for DH to get me the dowles from his Dad's for handles so can't post them yet.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby DorothyL on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:41 am

I know interfacing doesn't count but what if I use fabric to interface? Does that count?
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Magot on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Cunning plan Dorothy!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:07 pm

Yes, Dorothy, that counts.

Since there have been so many questions about 'Does such and such count', I made this simple flowchart to illustrate the rules.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby DorothyL on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:32 am

Oh my, that's brilliant ;) .
Dorothy
DorothyL

Next

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges