anyone interested in a sewing contest?????

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

anyone interested in a sewing contest?????

New postby sewingmom on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 pm

http://www.simplicity.com/section/conte ... test09.pdf

This is for a Simplicity/ ASG sewing contest. Could be just what Smilie Face and or Kaitlinn need. I may be interested in the Childs pattern to make up as a wardrobe for DGD. Laura, Barb anyone else. I think this may be just what we need to keep our sewing fervor up and keep that stash a movin'. Could be the way to SWAP.
sewingmom

Re: anyone interested in a sewing contest?????

New postby Sancin on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:44 am

Anyone heard from Mommydione lately? I think I saw the red dress she won a prize for on line somewhere. She was going to make another elegant dress but don't recall whether she finished it.
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby SmilieFace on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:32 am

Thanks for posting this. I don't know if I'm up for a contest...I don't consider myself much of a designer at all. But completing projects by a set deadline might be good for me...
SmilieFace

New postby kaitlinnegan on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:26 am

Interesting contest - I think they had a similar one last year (and I swear some of the patterns were the same..?). Too bad the pattern selection is kind of limited - I do have one of the patterns (2938), and I do want to make the top for summer, but the others don't really appeal to me. And nothing for men? Although I guess Simplicity doesn't have many men's patterns anyway.

I don't think contests are my cup of tea at this point in my life - I had fun with the mini-wardrobe contest on Pattern Review last summer, but it was a lot of pressure at the end! I have enough stress right now that I don't need extra stress from my hobby. ;)

Anyone thinking of entering?? :eh:
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby pucktricks on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:39 am

I don't have an ASG membership. I know that's a small obstacle. But, maybe if I get the project done I could get the membership....... I don't know.

Ticia
pucktricks

New postby sewingmom on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:39 am

I am considering entering and creating a wardrobe for DGD. Not much choice in childrens patterns but I have some design changes brewing in my mind. I really need the pressure to learn more coiture (?spelling) and design techniques. I also need to speed up and still be carefulll and deliberate.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:32 pm

I want to get working on a quilt as soon as I get these few little things out of the way, which seem to be taking forever! So I'm out.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby fabric_addict on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:46 am

SmilieFace wrote:Thanks for posting this. I don't know if I'm up for a contest...I don't consider myself much of a designer at all. But completing projects by a set deadline might be good for me...

I like the idea of a sewing contest for the same reason--deadlines help me to make stuff. What if we were to use this idea (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3162) for our own sewing contest? I'm not an ASG (?) member either. Because there are such varied needs on this board, perhaps the pattern we choose can change from month to month between one for adult women, then adolescent and preadolescent girls, then infants, then men, and then accessories/toys. Yet by all working from the same pattern, we might be able to learn from another's techniques and design choices since we'll all be familiar with that particular pattern.

OR...what if we were to focus on some particular technique? For example, we could say, this month is putting in a zipper with a single lap. Now maybe someone would make a fine dress and another makes a skirt and another makes a purse, but we could share notes about putting in a zipper. This could work for those, like myself, who are trying to learn some couture techniques too...
fabric_addict

New postby HeyJudee on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:39 pm

sewingmom wrote: coiture (?spelling)

couture...as in haute couture ;)
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges