New Year, New Stash, New Challenge!

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

Re: New Year, New Stash, New Challenge!

New postby material_pakrat on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:38 am

Where to start.
1. Pack all material
2. Move and unpack EVERYTHING on my sewing room and gve it a home that is not on the floor - unless that's where it's supposed to be.
3. find all of the UFO's from the last house move
4. Sort / toss / recycle (and maybe even use) the bags of kids clothes that I have been saving for memory quilts.
5. Fix the zip on son's rain coat before he needs it for winter
5. Finish quilt I started for hubby a year ago, then didn't have floor space to pin it together
6. Make some alterations to the wall hanging I made for school last year
7. Make the hanging pockets I promised the kindergarten in the next 3 weeks
8. Actually work out what material I have in my stash, and just how much is hidden away from hubby's prying eyes :D
9. The most important of all....... Make something fun, funky and wearable for me!
10 I guess wil be making curtain for the new house - don't think I can live with sheets on the windows. :x
When I work out how much stash I have I might just add in using up some of that yardage too. :lol:

Sheesh. At this rate this challenge is going to turn into a 12 Step program for me! :mrgreen:
Happiness is finally having a sewing room! Soph
material_pakrat

New postby pucktricks on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:23 pm

Sorry, been busy with stuff, and haven't gotten to post back here. Here's how I make my blankets, since I don't have a serger.

I cut the largest size square I can with the fabric I have. Which usually means the blanket ends up being at least 24" square, but often is a yard or a yard and 1/4. Now that I have a rolled edge hem foot, I just run it through that. Before I would fold up the sides and iron it down for a narrow hem, and then sew it. But, either way they are wildly popular as baby shower presents, because as people have commented the current receiving blankets you buy are way too small, but these are actually large enough to effectively swaddle a newborn.

Ticia
pucktricks

6.625 yards towards a goal of 25

New postby Corinna29 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:01 pm

I finished the pajamas this afternoon. They'll be nice & toasty for the frigid weather we are set to have for the rest of the week. This was the only UFO that I had. I think I'm going to trade off between projects for our fundraiser & things for me. Can't very well reduce a pile of fabric if I'm only choosing fabric from another bin now can I?
Corinna29

New postby temom on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Ticia, thanks so much! I wasn't sure if your blankets were single sided or double sided. For some reason I've been hung up on finding a matching fabric to make them double sided. Duh. Sometimes the obvious escapes me. I'm going to try it your way, and see if I can get rid of some of my flannel stash.
Theresa
temom

Re:Finally Stating My Goal

New postby temom on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:16 pm

OK, I have my machine back, and I'm ready to commit. I counted 9 UFO's. I'm going to shoot for 7. Six are easy, 3 are new to me endeavors.
As far as stash, 25 yards.
Projects to do to use this 25 yards:
3 Baby Quilts for Charity
2 clothing items for me
1 sweatshirt to jacket transformation - never done it but it looks cool
PJ bottoms for son
Finally use the hot fix crystal doo hickey I bought way back but have been too scared to try it out.

And hopefully be inspired to sew much more so I can make that 25 yard goal.
Theresa
temom

New postby DorothyL on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:53 am

Well I have half reached my goal of filling those empty bolts of sitting in the corner.
I bought 3 yards of Rayon Cotton Blend with a print of bathing beauties sitting on tropical flowers. It is for a shirt for my son-in-law and to make his wife (my daughter) go Mommmmmmmm.
I also got some red Rayon cotton woven with crayon colors woven through but mostly red and a nice shiny medium weight poly in a matching dark red. I was thinking reversible jacket with those two but you never know what will happen. Skirt and top might be nice too.
Three more bolts to go!!
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby HeyJudee on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:29 am

Yesterday I finished quilting and binding the first UFO. And I've started working on finishing the second one...the Autumn leaf wall hanging. 1 down...999 more to go! LOL
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

8 UFO's and 3 yards

New postby esrun3 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:21 pm

I think I like this UFO thing......if Ic an count each piece as a UFO! LOL. 2 flour sack towels, 2 kitchent owels, 3 stove towels & ! big all embroidered, 2 cloth books sewn up for Kendall and Connor. Have a baby quilt in the process for Jaxson (who isn't due until May) as well as 2 wall hangings I need to finish quilting. then we'll see what else I can dig out!
Lyn
esrun3

Step 7 done - 2yd plastic & 3 yds stash!

New postby material_pakrat on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:39 am

Woohooooo. Step 7 complete. No picture yet, coz I left the camera at work. I made the pockets for school, a double sided wall hanging in fact. I wanted the pocket to be see-through, so i used a medium weight plastic table cloth which worked perfectly. Also used 3 yds from my stash.

Then because I was enjoying my creative time I made a little black bag. I had bought a small piece of chinese style material, to make this bag about 6 months ago. But when I read the pattern I was VERY confused. So I made a plain black one first, just to iron out the bugs. It ended up being much easier than I thought, so I will be making one with the other fabric real soon. I think this might be the fun and funky wearable for me, but i might see what else I can create too! :mrgreen:
Happiness is finally having a sewing room! Soph
material_pakrat

2.75 yds, total of 9.375

New postby Corinna29 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:39 pm

I finished another large tote bag. They work up pretty fast, maybe 3 1/2 or 4 hours total time. Choosing the lining, & handles to go with the outer fabric, and then measuring & cutting take the longest time. With this one, I didn't have enough fabric to self-line the bag, so the lining has two outer stripes of a solid fabric. The handles pick up a color in the print. It came out well enough, not one of my favorites. But then I'm always tempted to keep my favorites.
Corinna29

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges