Wardrobe Sewing (Sewing with a Plan)

Discuss and participate in sewing/quilting related contests and challenges.

Moderator: Pudge99

Re: SWAPing into spring, summer, and beyond!

New postby Upholsteress on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:55 pm

Oh my! :oops: please excuse me... :o One should never post replies to anything till one has finished her coffee... my apologies!
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

New postby Glennssister on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 am

Cheryl, Its OK. I am now on my 3rd cup of coffee. Now maybe I can start the day.

Kaitlin, I am inspired you organization is outstanding.
Glennssister

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:17 am

:D No worries, Cheryl! Great that you were able to find some RTW clothes to mix and match! I have a hard time shopping for RTW these days. :( It seems I've become too picky in terms of colors, styles and fit. I should probably learn how to alter RTW clothes, but somehow it seems easier and more fun to make them from scratch.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! My plan might be a little overly ambitious, but you guys will keep me on track, right? :D Most of the pieces should be pretty quick to sew up, with the exception of the BurdaStyle jacket I'm working on now and the jeans - but I'm hoping the jeans will go a bit faster since I've made them once already and have worked out most of the fitting adjustments.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Alexalter on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:52 pm

Love what you have put together. You are much more organized then I. Your colors are right on with what is indicated for the spring/summer. The only thing that seems to be missing is a print that pulls the whole group together. I know that alot of the SWAP that I have been looking at in Australian Stitches mag has one item that everything is worked around. I know of one that worked it around a floral blouse and shoes. The one currently running is worked from the base of Red patent leather pumps. Lots of fun. Keep it up.
:applause: Tami
Alexalter

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:28 am

The sad thing for me is that about a month ago, Kohls had a sunday booklet in my paper that I cut out a top and a couple of suits to scan for Kaitlin, and then I found out my scanner had quit on me.. So, I tossed them as they were too small to photograph, and I haven't learned how to attach to my computer anyway.. (gotta read that part of my camera manual) Anyhow, what I was getting around to was they had a top on there that was an abstract print and it had all those colors in it plus a little red and black, each, not together.. I hate I didn't save it.. It would have been the perfect match and anchor for those pieces..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I have been on the lookout for a print that would work. What item do you think would work best as a print? I think I'll wait to see how my jacket turns out before I pick something, since the trim on the jacket is actually a print -- it is a monochromatic light purple chrysanthemum printed quilting cotton. It's a somewhat large print, and I think once it is cut into the bias strips it will come off as more of a "texture" than a distinct pattern, but I don't want things to get to busy. But if anyone sees a nice print with browns and purples/pinks (possibly some greens and blues too?) in it, send info my way! :)
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Mom of Six on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:34 pm

I was thinking either blouse in a lightweight print would be nice. I showed your plan to DD. She is supposed to put together a spring /Summer plan for both of us to make for her.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby AndreaSews on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:29 pm

Kaitlyn, I'm just catching up here. Jeans need to fit just-so, or else you won't wear them. Do you have a pair that's tired out that fits just right? You might like to sacrifice an old pair and use it as a pattern template.
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby SmilieFace on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:21 pm

AndreaSews wrote:Kaitlyn, I'm just catching up here. Jeans need to fit just-so, or else you won't wear them. Do you have a pair that's tired out that fits just right? You might like to sacrifice an old pair and use it as a pattern template.

How do you make a pattern template of something? I have a couple favorite pairs of pants that I have worn out and might like to recreate on my own...
SmilieFace

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:31 am

Unfortunately none of my jeans fit really well -- I have a couple of pairs from a couple years ago that are just about worn out..but they are also from 35 pounds ago.. ;) I broke down and bought a pair of Levi's a few months ago so I wouldn't have to wear my old saggy-butt jeans all the time, but even those don't fit *just so* even though they are approximately the right size. But, since I've already made the Vogue pattern once, I should hopefully be able to get a good fit without a lot more adjustments. I've been wearing my "practice" version a lot, and they fit pretty well with the exception of stretching out a lot by the end of the day, which I think is a function of the cheap fabric I used. My new Levi's also have this problem - I know jeans always stretch out to some extent but I've never noticed it being such an issue before, and I've had several pairs of bootcut Levi's in the past few years. My guess is that they are using cheaper fabric..? Anyway, I have a better quality denim to use for the new ones.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing/Quilting Contests and Challenges